IIHF Statement on the Russian Invasion of Ukraine (NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There's nothing symbolic about it. When you know that the entire world shuns you and despises you, that is inflicting real psychological pain, quite apart from commercial aspects.

It's entirely symbolic without any real substance. Ban Russia from hockey events and throw in a few mildly harsh public denouncements just for added emphasis and it will amount to... nothing significant at all. If it's part of a large scale severance of Russia from Western countries then fine, throw a ban on a pile for the sake of completeness. However if it's little more than a public rebuke and Russia is going to end up in international tournaments while it still has troops in Ukraine, which I suspect is far more likely, then I'd rather just avoid the act because it's pointless other that assuaging those who don't want to actually do something with consequences.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It's because this is invading a decromocy instead of invading a dictatorship. I'm not saying either is right, but the western world consists mainly of democrats, and so an attack against a democratic country is obviously not going to be well recieved. Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Doubt it. Nobody cares about Democracy. American/Westrn foreign policy as prooved this time and time again. Shit, Turkey is in NATO.:laugh: Countries care about power and self-interest.

I suspect our invasion just hits close to home in Europe, people are personally affected. Your interests are affected. I don't blame anybody though. Putin has overstepped here.
It's very different from a mass slaughter of 3rd world people like the USA always does.

I get it, but dressing it up with talk of ethics and democracy is disingenuous.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Doubt it. Nobody cares about Democracy. American/Westrn foreign policy as prooved this time and time again. Shit, Turkey is in NATO.:laugh: Countries care about power and self-interest.

I suspect our invasion just hits close to home in Europe, people are personally affected. Your interests are affected. I don't blame anybody though. Putin has overstepped here.
It's very different from a mass slaughter of 3rd world people like the USA always does.

I get it, but dressing it up with talk of ethics and democracy is disingenuous.

I'm not talking about countries. I am talking about people. People here sees Ukraine as a democracy, and Iraq as dictatorship. Wether western war propagand played into that is another question. Still, it's the way it is.

Reactions: luiginb

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I understand that. I've lost respect for Ovechkin too, his buttlicking of Putin is attrocious.
My point was regarding the double standard. Why aren't American players held to the standard Ovechkin is being held? There have been plenty who supported war mongering presdients like Bush, etc.
Shit, when the Yanks were invading the Iraqis, NHL teams were holding support the troops games. If we did the same it would be considered blasphemy by you people.
Why wasn't the US getting banned from tournaments?

Is it because we're invading a European Country as opposed to invading and continuosly bombing 3rd world nations full of brown people?

Seriously, the double standard is astounding.
Massive difference. The Ukrainians have not harboured or promoted terrorist attacks against Russia. There are many, many other fundamental differences of course. A better comparison would be the Nazi invasion of Poland, not the American invasion of Iraq.

Reactions: Tmu84

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm talking about recent history or not even recent like last 20 years and even longer, they haven't.

Yes, and that's something that Putin and Russia aren't happy about.

In the context that Putin wants to re-unite the Soviet Union (which some information suggests), and the fact that he's nearly 70 years old and was about 40 when the Soviet Union dissolved, it's not farfetched to think that he misses the days they used to dominate sports.

In recent history, again, the systematic doping is proof how much Russia takes pride in winning in sports. It's to the point that they don't care if they win them cleanly or not, as long as it looks good outwards.

The fact that Russia have discussed banning hockey players from opting for the NHL until they are 28 years old, is another example in recent history which shows how much they care about their sports.

With that being said, I'm of course not saying that sports plays a factor into Russia starting this war. That'd be silly.

Reactions: jj cale

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, and that's something that Putin and Russia aren't happy about.

In the context that Putin wants to re-unite the Soviet Union (which some information suggests), and the fact that he's nearly 70 years old and was about 40 when the Soviet Union dissolved, it's not farfetched to think that he misses the days they used to dominate sports.

In recent history, again, the systematic doping is proof how much Russia takes pride in winning in sports. It's to the point that they don't care if they win them cleanly or not, as long as it looks good outwards.

The fact that Russia have discussed banning hockey players from opting for the NHL until they are 28 years old, is another example in recent history which shows how much they care about their sports.

With that being said, I'm of course not saying that sports plays a factor into Russia starting this war. That'd be silly.

2014: Finland eliminates Russia in the quarterfinal of the Olympic game -> proceeds to annex Crimea.
2022: Finland beats Russia in the Olympic final -> proceeds to invade Ukraine.

Reactions: Tmu84 and Stubu

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Our actions are predicated on the people. Which, in the case of Iraq, makes it more heinous than the Russians here. Unlike their quasi-dictatorship, our actions are decided solely by the will of the people.
I mean Bush was re-elected after illegally invading Iraq for our country's self gain, which set off a string of events causing unthathomable death and misery. A scenario anyone conscious and a brain knew would occur. To reiterate a few other posters here, why weren't we suspended from the IIHF?

Eh, your two party system and rampant gerrymandering has reduced it so much that international organizations ranking of US democracy has dipped a lot.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
2014: Finland eliminates Russia in the quarterfinal of the Olympic game -> proceeds to annex Crimea.
2022: Finland beats Russia in the Olympic final -> proceeds to invade Ukraine.

highresrollsafe.jpg

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
And of course Russia should be banned from competing in anything international, both national teams and clubs. Former Jugoslavia was banned in 1992 from the Euros, and South Africa b/c of apartheid.
Tbh, Russia shouldn’t even have been allowed in the Olympics as OAR/ROC, and now that they did this = give them a ban for the foreseeable future. And also, f**k Ovie

member 305909

Russia should have been banned already in 2014 but they weren't.

Instead they were allowed to host the world's biggest sporting event, the FIFA World Cup, in 2018.

Anothet rogue state will host that competition later this year.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Let the Russian kids play at the WJR's. Don't punish them because a mad man runs their country.
No. Sports means a lot to Putin. This man must be punished.l for his actions and behaviours. If it means participants/fellow citizens who have the ability to support or denounce him pay the price so be it , I think it has a generational impact for the best. If you ignore it, Just let this behaviour continue.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No. Sports means a lot to Putin. This man must be punished.l for his actions and behaviours. If it means participants/fellow citizens who have the ability to support or denounce him pay the price so be it , I think it has a generational impact for the best. If you ignore it, Just let this behaviour continue.
Even if we prevent Russia from playing, Putin will not stop.

It is what it is and I can see both sides of the argument.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Mod Reminder: While politics and sports are often intertwined, that doesn’t make this thread an open forum to discuss everything political, especially the comparative politics of different countries.

Please keep any politic discussion directly relevant to the topic.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Let the Russian kids play at the WJR's. Don't punish them because a mad man runs their country.
Play to what? Constant booing, boycotts, terrible optics and many countries probably refusing to play?

Russia openly threatens Finland and Sweden with war and you expect us to just be able to play as usual? Maybe you're disconnected from reality, my reality is that in a couple months I well might need to pick up an assault rifle and defend my country.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Play to what? Constant booing, boycotts, terrible optics and many countries probably refusing to play?

Russia openly threatens Finland and Sweden with war and you expect us to just be able to play as usual? Maybe you're disconnected from reality, my reality is that in a couple months I well might need to pick up an assault rifle and defend my country.
I don't want to get into a big argument.

I would like to see the kids play but I can see both sides.

Reactions: Czechboy

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
My suggestion: Kick out Russia and Belarus from all competitions indefinitely and invite Ukraine + whatever country ranks highest and give Russian/Belarussian players temporary eligibility to play for Ukraine at whatever terms the Ukrainian Federation wants to set.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Well said.

Huusko

Dec 23, 2020
I just hope, Russian players and coaches will show their rejection of the Russian attack in the Ukraine. Sadly, Putin has also destroyed the project KHL and I am sure, there will be a lot of foreign players leaving the league.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
nope, he has been one of the most vocal supporters of putin's regime for like 10 years, has always been the first to endorse him come so called elections and even created the putin team to be of more help. That talk of him not represnting Russia is plain nonsense. He shold pay the price for putin's aggression in Ukraine.
He is the face of Russian sport, influence is huge in Russia and abroad, yet he failed to condemn Putin! He wants world peace, do you think that supporting Putin is going to give him world peace?

Reactions: karlstegger

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC

I'm a Canadian who's watched every single tournament since 95. I won't be watching if the Russians are allowed in.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I understand that. I've lost respect for Ovechkin too, his buttlicking of Putin is attrocious.
My point was regarding the double standard. Why aren't American players held to the standard Ovechkin is being held? There have been plenty who supported war mongering presdients like Bush, etc.
Shit, when the Yanks were invading the Iraqis, NHL teams were holding support the troops games. If we did the same it would be considered blasphemy by you people.
Why wasn't the US getting banned from tournaments?

Is it because we're invading a European Country as opposed to invading and continuosly bombing 3rd world nations full of brown people?

Seriously, the double standard is astounding.
Did you ever have respect for him? I hated the guy from get go. I have relatives in Gävle (hometown of Bäckström) involved in Ice-hockey and the rumour is that Bäckström hates Oveckin´s guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad