Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone who is good enough to perform well enough behind a solid D and bottom-6. If Drury re-signs Shesty at an astronomical number, then it is in my opinion that that will hinder roster balance, meaning a not good enough bottom-6. And, no, I don't need to post a solution to the goalie problem. That's for Drury and his team to figure out.

The Blues won the Cup, in large part, because it was such a pain in the ass to play against our bottom-6 that year. Pretty much every Cup team needs adequate skill and grit in the bottom-6 and, unfortunately, Drury and co. hasn't been able to identify the right bottom-6 players.

You see a trend here? I am firmly in the camp that would never sign Shesty to such a huge number because it will cause roster imbalance and more frustrating playoff exits.

That's my two bits......could be wrong......

If Chytil stays relatively healthy I think we could have our best 3rd line since the AV days.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Anyone who is good enough to perform well enough behind a solid D and bottom-6. If Drury re-signs Shesty at an astronomical number, then it is in my opinion that that will hinder roster balance, meaning a not good enough bottom-6. And, no, I don't need to post a solution to the goalie problem. That's for Drury and his team to figure out.

The Blues won the Cup, in large part, because it was such a pain in the ass to play against our bottom-6 that year. Pretty much every Cup team needs adequate skill and grit in the bottom-6 and, unfortunately, Drury and co. hasn't been able to identify the right bottom-6 players.

You see a trend here? I am firmly in the camp that would never sign Shesty to such a huge number because it will cause roster imbalance and more frustrating playoff exits.

That's my two bits......could be wrong......
I'm sorry, but the bolded is a cop-out. It assumes there is a solution when there may not be, or at least, not an immediate one, which was exactly my point regarding the Buchnevich trade. We thought we had solutions and none of them have worked.

The Blues won the cup on the back of a goalie who played lights out. They were in last place with the same team in front of a different goalie.

I don't disagree with your point about roster balance, but finding a viable replacement isn't easy. On top of that, the Rangers are typically regarded as a team that relies on its goaltending to a high degree. Replacing Shesty isn't going to magically change that. The Rangers would absolutely take a step back, and it might be years before they get back to the same level, what with some of their best players on the wrong side of 30.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'm sorry, but the bolded is a cop-out. It assumes there is a solution when there may not be, or at least, not an immediate one, which was exactly my point regarding the Buchnevich trade. We thought we had solutions and none of them have worked.

The Blues won the cup on the back of a goalie who played lights out. They were in last place with the same team in front of a different goalie.

I don't disagree with your point about roster balance, but finding a viable replacement isn't easy. On top of that, the Rangers are typically regarded as a team that relies on its goaltending to a high degree. Replacing Shesty isn't going to magically change that. The Rangers would absolutely take a step back, and it might be years before they get back to the same level, what with some of their best players on the wrong side of 30.
Yes it would take years. After all I’m told all the time here that you need a great 1C. So until that magical bean falls in our lap to take our mediocre goalie of the future to the promised land. We’re a worse team

Reactions: GAGLine

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Yes it would take years. After all I’m told all the time here that you need a great 1C. So until that magical bean falls in our lap to take our mediocre goalie of the future to the promised land. We’re a worse team
The Oilers have 2 great #1Cs and haven't won anything.

There are many ways to build a winning team and I do believe you can do it with a high $ goalie. It's on the GM to figure out how to make it all work.

You don't write Shesty a blank check but I'm a firm believer that you should hang on to the talent you have because there's no guarantee you'll be able to find similar/better talent elsewhere.

Also, just because we didn't win with Hank doesn't mean we can't with Shesty. Different teams and different competition. It's extremely hard to win the cup.

Reactions: TominNC

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

It’s not a cop out. If I told the IT guy about a problem with the computer systems, do you think he will expect a non-IT guy to have a solution ready to go? Nope.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yet you have no problem saying that the IT guy should let Shesty walk.
Correctomundo Fonzarelli!

I think you’re catching on. I am a die-hard NYR fan. Always have been. It’s because I wore a Rangers jersey when I was a kid in the 70s.

To your other point, I’m not creating a problem to solve. There IS a goalie problem to solve. Whom they could/should bring in? IDK

So, I’m gonna let Drury fix my IT problem.

Cheerio!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad