Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This also makes me chuckle:

upload_2022-3-4_22-19-30.png

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I want to avoid hyperbole, but Igor is the best goalie I have ever seen. Plenty of goalies have of course had hot seasons so I'm not electing him to the HOF yet, but his total control of the game from the crease is unlike anything I've seen.
So did I, but I made this same statement verbatim tonight.

Don’t forget that he nearly scored a f***ing goal too. :laugh:

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
So did I, but I made this same statement verbatim tonight.

Don’t forget that he nearly scored a f***ing goal too. :laugh:

It is unfair to compare Shesterkin to Plante since Plante was allowed to stop pucks with his face. I can't even imagine what Igor's numbers would look like if he wasn't forced to wear such an obtrusive piece of equipment.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What if he was allowed to use the gigantic pads and blockers current goalies wear.

how would current goalies do playing with no friggin’ mask?
Yep. Or facing the top 90 players instead of the top 620.
Surely there are advantages and disadvantages for goalies today as compared to yesteryear. But I think more or less the stats translate.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I gotta say, this statement probably comes from a place of privilege, but I’ve always been against paying goalies huge salaries. Typically the difference between the top goalie and the second tier isn’t big enough to warrant the pay difference and it causes you to be weak in other roster areas. I always felt like Hank being so good, and being paid accordingly, created a chicken and egg scenario where we could never really build a good enough team around him.

We are eventually going to find ourselves in a similar situation with Shesty. Thankfully he is locked in at such a reasonable rate for the foreseeable future.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
If Ovi and Matthews were out there ripping shots on Plante the dude would let up so many goals, come on. How dynamic these shooters are today is not getting enough cred.

Shest is positively f*cking incredible.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If Ovi and Matthews were out there ripping shots on Plante the dude would let up so many goals, come on. How dynamic these shooters are today is not getting enough cred.

Shest is positively f*cking incredible.
Give Ovi and Matthews the no-flex old time wood sticks and see how they do. Or give Plante the equipment and training from today’s goalies…it really does both ways and isn’t so clear cut

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Give Ovi and Matthews the no-flex old time wood sticks and see how they do. Or give Plante the equipment and training from today’s goalies…it really does both ways and isn’t so clear cut
Come on.... Ovi in the 60's or would be obliterating the competition.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The players back then stumbled in drunk and smoked in between periods. Most "stars" of those eras wouldn't even crack the 4th line of an NHL team today. They are just far superior athletes today.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Last offseason I suggested giving Shesty a one year bridge to prove himself before committing to a long term extension.

I have to say- I shudder at the thought of what the AAV would look like had we gone that direction.

One of my biggest “well that would have been dumb if I was the GM” moments. Probably up there with wanting to trade for Julius Honka

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Last offseason I suggested giving Shesty a one year bridge to prove himself before committing to a long term extension.

I have to say- I shudder at the thought of what the AAV would look like had we gone that direction.

One of my biggest “well that would have been dumb if I was the GM” moments. Probably up there with wanting to trade for Julius Honka
I wanted 8x8 :(

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The players back then stumbled in drunk and smoked in between periods. Most "stars" of those eras wouldn't even crack the 4th line of an NHL team today. They are just far superior athletes today.

Without the players of that era fighting tooth and nail for the Cup every season, today's guys wouldn't have the privilege of making an obscene amount of money playing a game.

And that money is the incentive that drives competition to be the most well-honed athlete possible. Obviously players today are bigger, faster, and more skilled on average, with so much more at stake.

But there's a way to talk about it without shitting on the history of the sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad