Speculation: If you were a GM (Brady Tkachuk)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d say trade him. It’s easy to say that as I’m not a Sens or Tkachuk fan however , I’m trying to look at it from a point of view if it was my team (Devils ) and a player I really like (Hughes) .
I’d be massively pissed at the player . I’d see it as him not committed to winning or wanting to stay in on the team. I’d understand why he would thunk that but I wouldn’t want that player on my team then I’d that’s his thought process.
If it appeared that he wants out ASAP , why commit a large sum of $ on him? Build your team around players that want to be there and buy in .

Reactions: Lays

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Yotes first (very very likely have the best or second best odds for #1 overall ) plus Geunther plus more ??
I’d hope the Yotes pass.

If the Sens can’t sign him for 8x8 , then I wonder how the team trading for him views that ? The team acquiring him would have the same negotiating headache as the Sens wouldn’t they? Unless he would take a “discount “ to play for a team he prefers more than the Sens ?
I did consider the tank effect but I figured He was still young enough. I did mention something about protections

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I would sign him for a 2-3 year bridge deal.

He isn't signing for long term, certainly not unless the Senators pony up big dollars. Is he probably looking to leave when he reaches UFA status? Yes. Can I possibly retain him? Sure, but it will cost more than he's shown so far and will constitute risk over very long term.

Give him a bridge deal now, something in the range of 2 x $6M or 3 x $6.5M. Then if he's improved (which seems likely), they can offer him the 8 x $10M it will take to get his attention. He may very well still reject it and take his qualifier instead, but the Sens will have given it their best shot.

This is assuming that Melnyk would go to $10M, which I sort of doubt if he'd lowball someone who meant as much to the Sens as Alfredsson in the past, but Ottawa can jump off that bridge when they come to it.

The Sens aren't likely to ever be a big payroll team. Their focus is always going to be drafting and developing well, and seeing some of their higher-priced talent leave in free agency for bigger markets as they mature. It has been ever thus.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If the 8x8 was an “insult” then I guess you try to bridge him and hope he wants to commit long term after he hopefully warms up to wanting to stay?
At this point what other options are there ? He won’t go long term so try to bridge at term that you can get the most control of him on your team. If that won’t work and he wants a bridge that walks him to UFA, then ??? Start looking at trade offers ?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

He isn't signing for long term, certainly not unless the Senators pony up big dollars. Is he probably looking to leave when he reaches UFA status? Yes. Can I possibly retain him? Sure, but it will cost more than he's shown so far and will constitute risk over very long term.

Give him a bridge deal now, something in the range of 2 x $6M or 3 x $6.5M. Then if he's improved (which seems likely), they can offer him the 8 x $10M it will take to get his attention. He may very well still reject it and take his qualifier instead, but the Sens will have given it their best shot.

This is assuming that Melnyk would go to $10M, which I sort of doubt if he'd lowball someone who meant as much to the Sens as Alfredsson in the past, but Ottawa can jump off that bridge when they come to it.

The Sens aren't likely to ever be a big payroll team. Their focus is always going to be drafting and developing well, and seeing some of their higher-priced talent leave in free agency for bigger markets as they mature. It has been ever thus.
This is what I was trying to say but it’s out in a way better way than I can write lol.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I’d move him. He’s not worth 8x8 at this point. His agent making it clear it’s not close either would be the nail in the coffin. He’s showing he’s not a team guy or leader at all.

Target Buffalo and get Eichel. Let Eichel get his surgery and you have Eichel, Norris, Pinto down the middle and can play Stutzle with Eichel.

Ottawa future is bright yet they aren’t looking to contend this season so moving him for Eichel and waiting till Eichel is fully recovered isn’t a big deal.
By targeting Eichel do you mean Tkachuk and Stutzle? Because if not...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

$10m? Brady Tkachuk doesn't have that kind of upside. He's probably never even a point per game guy.

I do agree that a bridge is much better option for the Sens. Better than 8x8 too, which is a bad overpay in my book.

Brady isn't necessarily any better long term than Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, or Pinto. There shouldn't be any desperation to pay him more than he's worth. In fact they have to be really careful not to overpay him because it will ruin the salary structure for the rest of them.

Reactions: Guttersniped

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Marner is clearly better but I wonder what the asking price on him is.

Toronto can afford to pay Brady almost entirely in bonus money which might entice him to sign for cheaper.

Ottawa has plenty of assets to make a deal if the price is right.

Reactions: centipede2233

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
$10m? Brady Tkachuk doesn't have that kind of upside. He's probably never even a point per game guy.

I do agree that a bridge is much better option for the Sens. Better than 8x8 too, which is a bad overpay in my book.

Brady isn't necessarily any better long term than Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, or Pinto. There shouldn't be any desperation to pay him more than he's worth. In fact they have to be really careful not to overpay him because it will ruin the salary structure for the rest of them.
Agreed, in all likelihood. I just think that's the tax that would get him to re-up for max term today, and possibly ever. He doesn't want to be there. Realistically, there aren't a ton of players in the league who really want to hitch their wagon to Melnyk. Until they've shown that they are a winning club, and possibly the owner turns over a new leaf, I don't really see the lure of being a Sens lifer changing anytime soon. Without offense intended, it's a bottom-five destination in the league.

He's going to want a shorter deal, and yeah, it's mostly to position himself to leave ASAP. But it also keeps the Sens from overpaying him today before he's proven that he's worth top-drawer coin. So it's not a total disappointment from a team perspective either. This is a talented young player whose point production ceiling is still in flux. A bridge is appropriate.

If his totals skyrocket, and the owner commits to doing it, then the Sens can give it their best shot and present him with a signing bonus-laden offer at max term, for big dollars, at the end of that bridge deal. But it's more likely that he's not long for Ottawa and signals his intention to leave as a UFA when the bridge is over. Then the Sens get to decide whether to shop him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I would be looking more around 2x $5m or 3x $5.5m. I don’t think his on-ice production has merited a $6m bridge AAV.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I would be looking more around 2x $5m or 3x $5.5m. I don’t think his on-ice production has merited a $6m bridge AAV.
That's a completely fair point at this stage of his career and point production. Given that it's dragged out this long, though, I think it's probably reached the point where he's not settling for less than $6M, though the team's willingness to blink is of course unknown.

Reactions: BlueSeal

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I’m going to just be honest: I feel Brady wants to play in Ottawa and wear the C but his dad and brother are in the way. I’d reach out to the NHL to see if I could get Matthew Tkachuk suspended or fined for interfering with an RFA contract situation while signed on a rival team. That should be illegal.

I’d then offer a contract that buys me some RFA years and given COVID I would not offer guaranteed money, instead I’d offer an incentive-laden contract. If he think he’s the man, play like it and the contract ensures you get paid.

At this point I’d have him sit out until he decided to come to terms. This is his time to prove his worth and he’s not doing that while not playing and with no contract, he gets no money, so demand the world but you’re not getting money right now. At all. So the ball is in Brady’s court and he’s more likely to starve with the attitude his dads instilling in him rather than getting paid.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That's a completely fair point at this stage of his career and point production. Given that it's dragged out this long, though, I think it's probably reached the point where he's not settling for less than $6M, though the team's willingness to blink is of course unknown.

I think Melnyk is going to make him sit and take a lot less than people think.

Picked the worst owner to try this ploy on. It’s going to backfire on him.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
I’m going to just be honest: I feel Brady wants to play in Ottawa and wear the C but his dad and brother are in the way. I’d reach out to the NHL to see if I could get Matthew Tkachuk suspended or fined for interfering with an RFA contract situation while signed on a rival team. That should be illegal.

I’d then offer a contract that buys me some RFA years and given COVID I would not offer guaranteed money, instead I’d offer an incentive-laden contract. If he think he’s the man, play like it and the contract ensures you get paid.

At this point I’d have him sit out until he decided to come to terms. This is his time to prove his worth and he’s not doing that while not playing and with no contract, he gets no money, so demand the world but you’re not getting money right now. At all. So the ball is in Brady’s court and he’s more likely to starve with the attitude his dads instilling in him rather than getting paid.

Can only do incentive based contracts for 35+ year old players or guys who missed a full season due to injury.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Either sit him or trade him to the moon. With this guy as your captain and (allegedly) best player you'll stay a non-contender for the remainder of his (potentially) ludicrous deal.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
If I was Ottawa’s GM, I would get him signed to a bridge deal and work on trading him for the best package I could get within that bridge deal (maybe that doesn’t happen for awhile). It seems like his future intentions (not staying in Ottawa long term) is written all over the wall.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Why the heck would Buffalo say yes? Especially to a player who won't sign there?

Maybe he just wants out of playing in Canada? I don’t know we’ve seen a lot of American born players want to avoid playing in Canada. It might not be a money issue as reported as turning down 8x8 seems crazy

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Why the heck would Buffalo say yes? Especially to a player who won't sign there?

Only way I could see is if like a STL came in as the 3rd trading partner and took Tkachuk, Ottawa get Eichel, while Buffalo takes on Tarasenko and variety of picks and prospects from both teams. But the likelyhood of that is probably extremely low.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Marner is clearly better but I wonder what the asking price on him is.

Toronto can afford to pay Brady almost entirely in bonus money which might entice him to sign for cheaper.

Ottawa has plenty of assets to make a deal if the price is right.
A marner for b.tkachuk trade makes a lot of sense. Toronto gets a young power forward to compliment the skill guys, Ottawa gets the better player with alot of the money already paid out so melnyuk like that. The problem is dubas. Dubas is not budging from the core 4. He’s too stubborn, much like babcock. And unfortunately for him, dubas stubbornness will be the cause of his demise and be appropriately fired next summer after another disaster ending.

but it’s a trade that could happen once the new gm comes in and has to shake things up.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I'd trade him for whatever I can get. He's a glorified 45-55 points winger that somehow has in his brain that he's as good as his brother and dad were when he doesn't even have half the offensive upside. If he wants anything above 6m long term, good bye buddy and don't let the door hit you. Batherson is just as good as he is and is making under 5m long term.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad