Speculation: If you were a GM (Brady Tkachuk)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
From what I've seen Brady want more AAV, because of a lack of bonuses, and I dont blame him if thats the case. Melnyk is a cheap owner not willing to put up for his star players. Ottawa's forever in purgatory with Melnyk.

lol it's funny how so many people bring up the bonus argument but conveniently seem to forget that similar/better rfa's like kaprizov/makar/quinn/svech all signed this summer with 0 to barely any bonues.

Just for your reference:
kaprizov 0
makar 1
quinn 0
svech 4

If those types of players got none or barley any bonuses what has brady done to deserve so much bonuses?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not touching him with the ten-foot pole. I wonder if the Tkachuk route will be just being given everything and the team can go screw itself, because it was that was for Keith in Winnipeg, in fact one of my earliest memories was him signing the offer sheet in Chicago before Winnipeg matched.

Matthew and Brady are looking to be headed down that road, and that's why I already know both will never win a cup. But if that's the case, I think Brady/Matthew will end up if not it being St. Louis, probably Buffalo or Arizona.

But in Ottawa's case, I would just trade him, but if my option was to sign him, probably give him two years and trade him later on as I explore my options within time, and if he proves himself I'd give him what I believe he deserves.

Reactions: centipede2233

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
If he actually refused 8x8 and found it insulting, I put the hammer down hard if I am OTT.

When season starts, the new deal on the table is 8x7.5M. Every week that passes, I remove 250K from that annual amount.

Sure, *IF* I find a trade I find appealing meantime, I'll trade you. Otherwise, this standoff will hurt you a lot more than it will the Ottawa Senators in the long-run and once you do cave - and you will - well now I have you signed long-term at a better rate, which makes you a more attractive trade chip.

Reactions: OmniSens

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I mean I think it’s evident he doesn’t want 8 years. He wants a chance to make more money when the cap goes up, and he also wants to be closer to UFA sooner and control where he wants to play. That’s not great news for the sens if they plain on Tkachuk spending most or his entire career there. Not really great news for sens fans that see him as a long term part of the solution
would agree that he wants to get to UFA and control his own destiny. not real appealing to sign long term for an owner who's questionable whether he wants to be competitive, or just likes owning a team
if the start becoming competitive, maybe BT re-signs
if they continue to 'rebuild' he splits

honestly don't blame him

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
People keep saying to he is crazy for being greedy because he supposedly turned down 8x8. But what I heard on TSN is he is concerned about committing long term for Ottawa largely to do with Ownership. That sounds fair.
People say he's greedy because his family are outspoken about their greed as a matter of family pride. That and that Brady was apparently insulted by $8m, which is an absurd overpayment.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
People keep saying to he is crazy for being greedy because he supposedly turned down 8x8. But what I heard on TSN is he is concerned about committing long term for Ottawa largely to do with Ownership. That sounds fair.

Exactly. It's not the money. If I were a player in Ottawa, I'd be pretty wary of committing to them with Melnyk still owning the team.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'd stop communications after telling him his deadline to be reasonable is December whatever it is (like Nylander). The offer is 5.500 x 2yrs or 8.000 x 8yrs.

Otherwise sit out and repeat next year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He can play with his buddies in Ottawa and get 8mil per year to help turn them into a contender or go to Buffalo and waste a career.

Or….what he should do is tell his agent, his dad and his brother to f*** off and take control of his own life.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He can play with his buddies in Ottawa and get 8mil per year to help turn them into a contender or go to Buffalo and waste a career.

Or….what he should do is tell his agent, his dad and his brother to f*** off and take control of his own life.
It does feel like everyone around Brady, except himself, are outspoken here.

Reactions: OmniSens

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
I like Brady Tkachuk as a player, and he might be worth 8M for a period but I’m not even sure it’d last until the end of an 8 year contract if it were signed today. Give him 2 years to prove me wrong and then pay or trade him.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
lol it's funny how so many people bring up the bonus argument but conveniently seem to forget that similar/better rfa's like kaprizov/makar/quinn/svech all signed this summer with 0 to barely any bonues.

Just for your reference:
kaprizov 0
makar 1
quinn 0
svech 4

If those types of players got none or barely any bonuses what has brady done to deserve so much bonuses?

For sure I'm with you Brady has not proven anything to warrant massive bonuses, but if a player wants something like 10-15% (assuming) of their contract in bonuses over X years I don't see why an owner cant pony up to potentially get a cheaper AAV. Some players might not care about bonuses as much as other look at Barkov's 72mil in bonuses over 8 years, he has a base salary of 8 mil over that time the rest is bonuses. Danault who I would say is a worse player than Tkachuk got 14.5mil of 33mil in bonuses.

These guys have a from 40% to 90% of their contracts in bonuses
Panarin
Josi
Leafs trio
Stone
Vasilevskiy
Karlsson
Danault
and plenty more

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
For sure I'm with you Brady has not proven anything to warrant massive bonuses, but if a player wants something like 10-15% (assuming) of their contract in bonuses over X years I don't see why an owner cant pony up to potentially get a cheaper AAV. Some players might not care about bonuses as much as other look at Barkov's 72mil in bonuses over 8 years, he has a base salary of 8 mil over that time the rest is bonuses. Danault who I would say is a worse player than Tkachuk got 14.5mil of 33mil in bonuses.

These guys have a from 40% to 90% of their contracts in bonuses
Panarin
Josi
Leafs trio
Stone
Vasilevskiy
Karlsson
Danault
and plenty more

And none of them except for the leaf trios were rfa deals so there not even comparable. All the other ones were buying a ton of ufa years. All I'm saying is that looking at the recent group of comparable rfa's most of them had none to very little bonus so not sure how people can justify that as a sticking point

Reactions: Guttersniped

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'd look to move him to a crappy team out west.
To the Yotes for a 1st( can work out of and or where protections might apply) and Guenther and perhaps a small +
Yotes first (very very likely have the best or second best odds for #1 overall ) plus Geunther plus more ??
I’d hope the Yotes pass.

If the Sens can’t sign him for 8x8 , then I wonder how the team trading for him views that ? The team acquiring him would have the same negotiating headache as the Sens wouldn’t they? Unless he would take a “discount “ to play for a team he prefers more than the Sens ?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The people that think Tkachuk isn't worth 8x8 but also believe he's worth Eichel confuse me.

For the record, I very much like Tkachuk.
There was no mention of it being a straight up one for one . Also Eichel pre injury is > Tkachuk but who knows how good Eichel can play after surgery. He might be back to 100% or he could be a shell of his former self. It’s hard to say what his true value is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad