If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
It's not a dump for them, just a player wanting more time during their contract year. Along with probably most other GMs at the time Yzerman was kicking tires on Bennett while in Tampa. I doubt Flip@50% + NYR 2nd gets it done, we'd have to be prepared to offer Fabbri straight up. Fabbri is a UFA after next season while Bennett will be an RFA.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's not a dump for them, just a player wanting more time during their contract year. Along with probably most other GMs at the time Yzerman was kicking tires on Bennett while in Tampa. I doubt Flip@50% + NYR 2nd gets it done, we'd have to be prepared to offer Fabbri straight up. Fabbri is a UFA after next season while Bennett will be an RFA.
Screw that then. No way we give up Fabbri for Bennett, he had 12 pts/52gp last year. 1pt/7gp this year. Flip w/50% take it or leave it is my offer.

Fabbri is at least learning to be a top9, possibly top6 C. Bennett currently is neither & has trended downward every year.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Screw that then. No way we give up Fabbri for Bennett, he had 12 pts/52gp last year. 1pt/7gp this year. Flip w/50% take it or leave it is my offer.

Fabbri is at least learning to be a top9, possibly top6 C. Bennett currently is neither & has trended downward every year.
Calgary hasn't managed him well, they relegated him to a 3rd line checker role. That's partly why there were so many GMs sniffing around a few seasons ago. Despite that, the guy seems to be able to up his game during the playoffs (which isn't likely to be of much relevance to the Wings anytime soon)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Calgary hasn't managed him well, they relegated him to a 3rd line checker role. That's partly why there were so many GMs sniffing around a few seasons ago. Despite that, the guy seems to be able to up his game during the playoffs (which isn't likely to be of much relevance to the Wings anytime soon)
Conversely, if he played C full-time, or at all now, he may have more value imo. He's not the type I'd be giving up any of our Top6F/Top4D roster/prospects for, nor any picks really.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Conversely, if he played C full-time, or at all now, he may have more value imo. He's not the type I'd be giving up any of our Top6F/Top4D roster/prospects for, nor any picks really.
Glendening would probably be a better fit for Calgary than Flip (Flip has a NTC and could block it anyways), still not sure that Glen@50% + 2nd gets it done either though. The thing I like about Bennett is that he's still young, Larkin's age, and as a pending RFA he could be cost controlled for a few more seasons. By the time he'd be up for UFA we'd know whether or not he fits any long term plans, which may or may not be that 2C role

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Drafted as a C, played C at the beginning of his career. Mostly been W the last couple of seasons from what I've read here and from what I would guess when looking at his stats.

Bennet was great as checking line C at last playoffs.

Was almost sure that now that guy is turning the corner on his career.

Would be good try.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If I’m Stevie I think I’d be looking to use a 2nd + 3rd + maybe a vet roster and a Meh prospects to try and grab both Dunn and Bennett. Both fit in age wise with this core while at least helping us be a little more competitive in the right now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If I’m Stevie I think I’d be looking to use a 2nd + 3rd + maybe a vet roster and a Meh prospects to try and grab both Dunn and Bennett. Both fit in age wise with this core while at least helping us be a little more competitive in the right now.

Think these trades should fit on expansion draft plans. On both sides. Many teams are targeting that more and more.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

That sounds like major overpayment.

Lias Andersson cost LA Kings a 2nd rounder and they're looking to make similar impacts as 3rd liners. Bennett also carries a much higher cap hit of 2.55 million and is an RFA at the end of the season so he'd need to be qualified at that much.

3rd or 4th and a roster player would be enough I would assume. Bennett was drafted in 2014 so his high draft pedigree shouldn't matter as much anymore. It'd just be something that Mick and Ken bring up during broadcasts as a bit of trivia.

William Rusco

Dec 16, 2020

Yeah, let's get anouther bottom 6 winger and bottom pair D. That's all this team is now. Bottom 6 wingers, bottom pair D and rejects from Toledo.
Makes a lot of sense.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, let's get anouther bottom 6 winger and bottom pair D. That's all this team is now. Bottom 6 wingers, bottom pair D and rejects from Toledo.
Makes a lot of sense.
Dunn is a top 4 D-man and Bennett has the potential to be a top 6 C.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
"Potential" is often very overrated. Bennett has 1pt./7gp. 12pts/52gp last yr. But 5-6 ('15-'16) yrs ago he scored over 30pts 1x...it's no longer "potential", he's very likely a bust, or at best bottom 6W, overpriced, soon to be RFA. Also 1-2 decent playoff doesn't mean he's "turned the corner" necessarily. Fernando Pisani had a huge playoff 1 year too.

Per Blues fans Dunn is a bottom pairing PMD who is sheltered in their top4 & defensively suspect. When Pietrangelo/Paryako/J-Bo (now retired) and sometimes Faulk are/were there to shelter you, it's easy to see why Dunn looks better than he likely is, especially coming from a recent SC Champ & current true contender. Buyer beware, at least don't overpay for him

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dunn is a top 4 D-man and Bennett has the potential to be a top 6 C.

Maybe Top4 D in a bad team and 3rd pair guy in good teams.

Per Blues fans Dunn is a bottom pairing PMD who is sheltered in their top4 & defensively suspect. When Pietrangelo/Paryako/J-Bo (now retired) and sometimes Faulk are/were there to shelter you, it's easy to see why Dunn looks better than he likely is, especially coming from a recent SC Champ & current true contender. Buyer beware, at least don't overpay for him

He played a lot with Pietrangelo and that's the reason why people are seeing him good on many stats. Kind of how Ian White did look good with Lidström. Or Jason Woolley. Without a Norris-caliber partner they will become pretty bad. Just like Dunn at this season.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd prefer Mete of all the guys "rumored" to be available

He would be our best dman I am pretty certain
Ramblings: Thornton update; Detroit players returning; Devils players not; Mete; Rakell - February 2

Dobber compares Mete's metrics to....Girard! (scroll down).
Also NJ, 10 out w/the "Flu" protocol, postponed 2 gms vs. Pitt. We're seeing more teams having to do makeups who don't even have covid protocol players, which could get even more interesting at/near season's end.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think Bennet would be worth looking into. Not sure what to offer though. Probably can’t be worth a ton but also has enough pedigree that everyone will have some interest. Ryan straight up would probably get it done given Calgary’s needs but I’d like to keep him until the TDL gets closer (possibly longer if a top 60 pick isn’t on the table).

maybe glendening + Ryan for Bennett + 2nd? Maybe I’m a touch greedy here asking for the second pick but I think Glendening + Ryan would be two excellent pieces for Calgary. A right shot middle 6 scoring forward and a good PKer who can play center or wing on their 4th line.

I’d also be interested in Mete. Wonder if they’d be interested in one of our worthless bottom 6 veteran forwards lol.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What would it cost to get Roslovic or Bennett? We should be pursuing both pretty hard, IMO.

Man, that would make setting our lines like a hell of a lot better. Especially Roslovic, adding another RH shot.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Man, the more I think about this, the more I hope we are trying to get Winnipeg on the phone.

Could have a top 6 of Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, Roslovic, Ryan. (Someone would have to play their off wing but to quote letterkenny... figure it out, bud)

Could have a center core of Larkin, Roslovic, Rasmussen, Glendening next year. (Would give us 3 centers 25 or younger moving forward)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Man, the more I think about this, the more I hope we are trying to get Winnipeg on the phone.

Could have a top 6 of Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, Roslovic, Ryan. (Someone would have to play their off wing but to quote letterkenny... figure it out, bud)

Could have a center core of Larkin, Roslovic, Rasmussen, Glendening next year. (Would give us 3 centers 25 or younger moving forward)

Roslovic is in Columbus now. Laine deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad