If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
So in regards to Dunn I think Blues and Wings could be a great fit. Several of my esteemed colleagues think he gets a 1st and maybe he does(not from the Wings obviously but someone else drafting late 1st).

I think it's more likely that it ends up a 2nd as the primary piece coming back which is where the Wings come in. If you use Devon Toews as a rough comparison I think you're in the range of what Dunn is worth but with the caveat that Toews played top 4 for the Islanders and Dunn has been sheltered at 3rd LD his entire career so far. So I was thinking rough estimate 2nd + 3rd in '21. I'd obviously want the highest 2nd and 3rd you've got. What do you think value wise? Am I in the neighborhood or am I off? Also can the Wings make this a cap savings of 1.8 mil for the Blues and not send any salary back? Would really like a pure futures deal with none of the assets needing expansion protection.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So in regards to Dunn I think Blues and Wings could be a great fit. Several of my esteemed colleagues think he gets a 1st and maybe he does(not from the Wings obviously but someone else drafting late 1st).

I think it's more likely that it ends up a 2nd as the primary piece coming back which is where the Wings come in. If you use Devon Toews as a rough comparison I think you're in the range of what Dunn is worth but with the caveat that Toews played top 4 for the Islanders and Dunn has been sheltered at 3rd LD his entire career so far. So I was thinking rough estimate 2nd + 3rd in '21. I'd obviously want the highest 2nd and 3rd you've got. What do you think value wise? Am I in the neighborhood or am I off? Also can the Wings make this a cap savings of 1.8 mil for the Blues and not send any salary back? Would really like a pure futures deal with none of the assets needing expansion protection.
I don't see Yzerman spending more than a mid-late 2nd on Dunn, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Dunn's not known for his defense (we're abundant in bottom 5-8D that can't defend). Being sheltered on a SC winner 3rd pairing gives him a huge buffer he won't have here unfortunately. We could however facilitate the 1.8m savings, thus lowering the cost of Dunn to a midish 3rd probably, is my guess. Thanks for the feedback & best of luck in the WC.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I don't see Yzerman spending more than a mid-late 2nd on Dunn, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Dunn's not known for his defense (we're abundant in bottom 5-8D that can't defend). Being sheltered on a SC winner 3rd pairing gives him a huge buffer he won't have here unfortunately. We could however facilitate the 1.8m savings, thus lowering the cost of Dunn to a midish 3rd probably, is my guess. Thanks for the feedback & best of luck in the WC.

Thanks for the response. Judging from the 1st ask that's been reported I'm thinking the Blues will be looking at an early 2nd + as a minimum return. I doubt they'll sell low on him because they really don't have a dire need for cap space. Thanks again!

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
It would be selling low though. No one is going to turn around and offer a good deal for Mantha right now.

theyd see a player underperforming and think they could get a good deal
Dont sell him right now but definitely get an idea as to what teams would be interested in him. I stated in the GDT I don't seem him completing his contract with us.

Reactions: SirloinUB

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It’s a small sample size but much more of the same from last season so can’t help but think this team is still very far off - hope Mantha gets hot and get a 1st for him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Leafs 1st? or player/prospect(s)?

With Bobby wearing #54 + Laffs last cup in 1967 = 2021.

"James Mirtle of The Athletic has named multiple players, but Bobby Ryan is the headliner."

Toronto Maple Leafs To Target Bobby Ryan At Trade Deadline - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me
I doubt they give up a first, and trade value will obviously depend on how he does the next 35 games.

I hope he gets traded for his sake. This team is bad enough to make anyone fall off the wagon.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It would be selling low though. No one is going to turn around and offer a good deal for Mantha right now.

theyd see a player underperforming and think they could get a good deal

Noby sells a player which is doing good.

Traded players are mostly underperformers. Underoerforming is THE REASON for many trades, because the buyer sees better potential at the underperformer. And could have underperformer or problematic situation on his own team.

Then cases like Laine-Dubois will happen.

Or Neal-Lucic etc.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Leafs 1st? or player/prospect(s)?

With Bobby wearing #54 + Laffs last cup in 1967 = 2021.

"James Mirtle of The Athletic has named multiple players, but Bobby Ryan is the headliner."

Toronto Maple Leafs To Target Bobby Ryan At Trade Deadline - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

I'd have to imagine that he'd need to be scoring above a 20g/82gp pace for him to net a first from any team. I like Ryan, but imagine there will be a lot of hot and cold streaks all year for him on this team.

I think much more realistically, we'd be looking at a 2nd round pick for him if he's playing well, or a 3rd if he's just playing average.

As far as Mantha goes, I don't think we should trade him after just a few bad games, it's crazy how the consensus on him has changed so fast.

Reactions: BStinson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hope Holland will buy him.

James Neal contract + Broberg + 1st would good price. Neal contract has same caphit, so I'm quite sure it would be the bigger contract included.

How easy fix that would be for future needs? Getting Broberg, we don't have to worry about drafting LD at 2021, which you have to wait for years to be NHL ready. Broberg is already 2 years in front of that timetable. We could also go after center at 2021 with our own pick (Beniers or Eklund), and probably take also Wallsted with the EDM lower 1st.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
This was the consensus on Mantha before last year.
He played 40 good games and everyone acted like he was Todd Bertuzzi in his prime.

Are you giving up on him now? I mean I'll listen to trades but I'm not about to say he sucks either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As far as Mantha goes, I don't think we should trade him after just a few bad games, it's crazy how the consensus on him has changed so fast.

It's just transferring value to different positions and different aged players, which will fit better to our future core.

It's nothing against Mantha, but it just seems that he won't work with us, and could score more elsewhere with some in-prime playmaker.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd have to imagine that he'd need to be scoring above a 20g/82gp pace for him to net a first from any team. I like Ryan, but imagine there will be a lot of hot and cold streaks all year for him on this team.

I think much more realistically, we'd be looking at a 2nd round pick for him if he's playing well, or a 3rd if he's just playing average.

I could see a team with a weaker/injured top 6-9 trade for Ryan, even a late 1st. (Paul Gaustad etc.). Big scoring winger, vet, silver medalist, glue guy, elevates the locker room, RHS!, PP weapon, Net Front & .............Low Mileage!

Slaps the ice with hockey stick! "He can be yours for a low % late 1st".
"Sold."

Re: Mantha's consensus - see this weeks stock market scandal :laugh:

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Are you giving up on him now? I mean I'll listen to trades but I'm not about to say he sucks either.

No.
I think the true value of Mantha is somewhere between last year's hype and this year's whining.

Inconsistent scoring is nothing new in the NHL. I can't even fully fault his effort, because I've seen him work hard defensively and still get victimized by goals against. (Yes, there've been at least 2 goals against where you can fault Mantha's diligence).

But I think you always have to wonder if he's worth more traded than in the lineup.

Last year, I thought the trade deadline was the best time to move Mantha. His value might never have been higher.

That said he could play 4 more years in Detroit, scoring 25-30 goals and being a sometimes frustratingly bad player.

Reactions: Snuggs

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
According to hockey night in canada during the Edmonton/Toronto game tonight Sam Bennett of Calgary is looking for a trade out of town. He's been playing 3rd/4th line wing this season. Would probably be the same on this team.

I haven't watched much of Calgary so I'm not super familiar with this guy. High draft pedigree but hasn't performed like a 4th overall pick in 2014. What kind of potential does he have? Is he a worthy reclamation project or is he basically Boyd Devereaux?

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
According to hockey night in canada during the Edmonton/Toronto game tonight Sam Bennett of Calgary is looking for a trade out of town. He's been playing 3rd/4th line wing this season. Would probably be the same on this team.

I haven't watched much of Calgary so I'm not super familiar with this guy. High draft pedigree but hasn't performed like a 4th overall pick in 2014. What kind of potential does he have? Is he a worthy reclamation project or is he basically Boyd Devereaux?

I'd give it a shot. I think there's still some good potential with him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I'd give it a shot. I think there's still some good potential with him.

I think he wants to be a center full time. A liveable faceoff percentage when he was a C full time. Better than Fabbri for sure.

I'd offer Vegas' 3rd and Cholowski for him. Filpulla/Gagner and a 3rd if they want a roster player in return.

Fabbri/Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Zadina - Bennett/Rasmussen- Ryan
Fabbri/Bertuzzi - Namestnikov/Rasmussen/Bennett - Brome
Helm - Glendening - Namestnikov/Nielsen/Hirose/Smith/Gagner

Reactions: evolutionbaby

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
He hasn't had much to work with 'til ~1 year ago. He plays C & is only 24. If they wanna dump him, I'd offer Flip? w/retention (cup vet, C etc.). I don't know if he actually plays C or W or both, but listed as C.

Drafted as a C, played C at the beginning of his career. Mostly been W the last couple of seasons from what I've read here and from what I would guess when looking at his stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad