Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Should we go after Ryan?

$7.5M 20+ goals in Buffalo

From what I heard, he wants to leave Buffalo
I’d say no.
Tavares = dollars
O’Reilly = assets.
Plus it’s not like Buffalo is ready to give us a better deal.
If we miss JT we should be looking at a decent 3C. Less asset cost than O’Reilly and upgrading the D.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
A lot of it would be dependent on the price, but I would entertain an offer.

He's a quality forward, but not at $7.5M.

To me, it doesn't matter about assets as much. If the Sabres would retain some sort of it, I would pay to have that guy in the line-up for the next 5 years.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I wouldn't....cost would be too high.

I'd look at a safe signing like Riley Nash, Derek Ryan type player. Maybe Letestu. The Leafs may have at least of these spots already filled from within - Gauthier, Aaltonen, Lindholm. Management/coaching should have a good feel on these 3, and we will likely know as a result of their actions/inaction at this position come Jul 1.

I would, as Trapper said, concentrate efforts on D. Eseentially I would move Gardiner (pending UFA after this coming season) for assets now - he gets a fresh start and his value should give a good return. Fill his spot with a UFA like De Haan (as they likely are not going to be able to afford Carlson - who is the best fit of who is out there). There will likely be good internal competition for spots here too - Rosen was fantastic for the Marlies, plus Borgman was good when up, and the re-signing of Carrick. Maybe look at adding Sbisa (he was pretty good for Vegas) or Pateryn (more rugged stay at home D), and affordable.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Unless they are willing to do it as a partial cap dump (not happening) i’d probably have to pass.

JVR rights + Sparks + Martin + SJS 2nd

But that’d never happen haha.

dzombs

Jul 8, 2016
Honestly no, I feel like Nylander would produce as much as centre and ROR would cost us too much for it to be worth it

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Over paid and over rated as well as notva team guy. Simply no thanks. Even if he was a free agent!

Defensively responsible, 2 way centre on a bloated contract, but scores 60 points a season. Over-rated in terms of contract, but a quality player that is what you'd want for a growing team or one that wants to get over the hump of the first round.

No other centre on the free agent market would help out anywhere close to where O'Rielly could. And we're already assuming that Tavares is off the list.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad