Speculation: IF the Leafs don’t look legit

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The pessimist in me says we haven’t looked legit since losing to Columbus and blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Habs. We have seen a great regular season team blow chunks in the playoffs for years. So regular season never has been a good predictor the Leafs in the playoffs.

The optimistic viewpoint is no matter what they look like in March, you can never estimate what they will be in the playoffs, especially with a new coach and if Woll is healthy and an established #1. The Leafs may scrape in with a wild card spot and go to the finals for all we know.

Losing that Montreal series should have been the time to blow this up, fire the coaching staff and general manager especially when a player like Marner had some term and value left.

Ultimately this is on Shanahan for not reading the cards.

As for Marner and Tavares, we are stuck with them both this year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can't picture a Marner trade. Walked in to UFA or re-signed, don't know. My guess re-sign. Same for JT. Marner gets a fortune, JT goes team friendly. Leafs lose in round #1.
Fixed for completeness. 1 and 8 in playoffs is enough of a sample size for me that this core is never getting it done on the ice. Their success is at the bank and they will be remembered as the biggest disappointments in Leafs history.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Can't picture a Marner trade. Walked in to UFA or re-signed, don't know. My guess re-sign. Same for JT. Marner gets a fortune, JT goes team friendly.
When he is extended, we shouldn’t give a NMC for the last season and have a M_NMC for the 2nd last season

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Still shocks me with these scenarios….is it fantasy sports ruining fans brains?

Seems like the mediots and fans still have no clue what the NMC means .

There hasn’t been an ounce of proof that Tre even asked any player to waive their NMC and Tre also handed them out to Mathews and Nylander.

There are better odds both Taveres and Marner resign then them waiving to appease the fans
That’s been said 1000000 times and once again it’s irrelevant to the conversation.

Everyone knows about the clauses and everyone knows there are ways around it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Of all the things you can concerned about with this team, and there are things to be concerned about.

But of all the things you could be concerned about I'm not sure how regular season performance is on ANYBODY'S list.

Reactions: ACC1224

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I would rather be nominated and flame out in the first than to not have either experience. Just my two cents.

If

If Tavares comes in at a lower cost, it gives more room to bring someone else in to fill the team out. If the cap raises, it offers even more room. None of the core 4 are bad players. Tavares just doesn't perform as well as the others and could use those savings for another solid player.
You are missing my point and its because you think our core are good enough to figure it out one day. I don't so the idea of running it back with this core is deflating. Its a stale product.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Nope. It means eff all.
This, watching the boys play sloppy non playoff hockey down the stretch so they could go after individual accolades was so leafy and what the problem has been with this group. It was pretty obvious they had abandoned their good play they had going the previous month and a half to chase personal goals. It was another head hanging moment for me as the group showed their true colors once again. Keefe is as guilty if not more so than the players for the lack of focus leading into the playoffs, but I imagine McKinnon in the same position and what his attitude would be.....I don't think he would give 2 shits about the personal achievements. At this point it means nothing to me as well.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Can't picture a Marner trade. Walked in to UFA or re-signed, don't know. My guess re-sign. Same for JT. Marner gets a fortune, JT goes team friendly.
Starting yawning while reading at the idea of what you think our future looks like...more of the same...yay Maybe if I just keep banging my head against the wall the results will be different next time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You guys are all gonna shit yourselves when both JT and Mitchy are resigned and Shanny is extended for another 5 years. I cannot wait lmao

View attachment 899845

Not sure about the Shanahan re-signing, but I expect both marner and Tavares re-signed.

I'm really curious if marner commits to Toronto or hedges his bets again.
I think the term will tell us where his heart lies, in the team or in the coin.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's fine on the PK but for me I'd replace him there if possible. That is a place where they could cut down some of his minutes, which I think needs to happen. I get as a Coach you want your best players on the ice as much as possible but those tough PK minutes seem to take a toll on him.

Maybe Dewar will be the one who pushes him off some PK duties?

1723216865731.png

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Just seems like a lot, doesn’t it? If they are open for 4hrs during a game that’s 5 an hour just of Marner jerseys, no wonder the seats look empty sometimes, they are lined up buying Marner stuff, let alone the Nylander, Mathews, Tavares, everyone else jerseys. I wonder how the staff has time to ring in all the other paraphernalia as well.

who sits there and counts how many jerseys of a specific player is being sold is my question.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The glass is half full… not half empty.

The Leafs are closer to top 5 than missing the playoffs.
1723223365757.png

A new head coach in Craig Berube as well as some major additions to the blueline and between the pipes by Brad Treliving this off-season has put the Maple Leafs in the hunt to win the Atlantic Division, according to oddsmakers.

The defending Stanley Cup Champion Florida Panthers are the obvious favourites, but the Leafs aren't too far behind them with Bodog having the Leafs to win the division at +275. FanDuel was a little more conservative with their odds, listing the Leafs at +300, but they are still the favourites next to the Panthers.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No team is going to give a raise to a known playoff choker.

Nylander just got a big one and he is worse in the playoffs.

Tkachuk signed a huge one when he was traded and he was worse than both.

Barkov is making 10.5 and he sucked in the playoffs.

Eichel got 10.5 and he couldn't even make the playoffs.

But you are likely right...

View attachment 899973

A new head coach in Craig Berube

You may want to look at his record if you think he is a miracle worker.

Are we also now pretending Keefe has a bad regular season record?

as well as some major additions to the blueline and between the pipes by Brad Treliving this off-season has put the Maple Leafs in the hunt to win the Atlantic Division, according to oddsmakers.

Yep, our backup goalie is going to win us so many games.

The defending Stanley Cup Champion Florida Panthers are the obvious favourites, but the Leafs aren't too far behind them with Bodog having the Leafs to win the division at +275. FanDuel was a little more conservative with their odds, listing the Leafs at +300, but they are still the favourites next to the Panthers.

Betting odds are not indicative of who is most likely to win, just an FYI.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
View attachment 899973

A new head coach in Craig Berube as well as some major additions to the blueline and between the pipes by Brad Treliving this off-season has put the Maple Leafs in the hunt to win the Atlantic Division, according to oddsmakers.

Now we even get gambling ads on the forums. I don't know whether the NHL or the Leafs are more disappointing right now, but I do know that it seems like neither are close to repenting.

At the rate my hobbies are getting corrupted by horrendous suckage of various stripes, I'll see some of you in knitting club. FFS.

Reactions: Racer88

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Betting odds are not indicative of who is most likely to win, just an FYI.
Sorry, but yes they are… favourites win more often than underdogs.

The saying “the house always wins”… comes from bookmakers.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sorry, but yes they are… favourites win more often than underdogs.

The saying “the house always wins”… comes from bookmakers.

Betting odds are set by the bookmakers to win money, they are influenced by a lot of things, including the chance of winning, but it is not exclusive to that.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
You are missing my point and its because you think our core are good enough to figure it out one day. I don't so the idea of running it back with this core is deflating. Its a stale product.
As life long fan, I completely understand the frustration. To have all that talent for it to fall in the first round is crazy. We have made changes behind the bench which could effect our PK, PP and 5on5. We do have a better D core IMO than we have had in years with better shot blockers and who are more positionally sound. We also have younger players who can add additional scoring and different looks on lines (Knies, Robertson?, Cowan, Minten). With the money saved on Tavares (should he take a price cut) and cap going up, we can add more solid players to our team. All of the above is moot if our goaltending is injured or play like trash. In which case, we can attempt to acquire a better option via trade or free agency.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes we have been. There have been multiple reports that have stated that the leafs never even approached Marner this summer to ask him if he’s willing to waive. That conversation never happened. We’ve only heard the opposite. Berube is excited to work with him. This city is big and Marner is a big name, if there was any serious trade talk it would have leaked by now. It hasn’t, all we’ve seen from reporters is the opposite, leafs look to be keeping him for this season at least. Ferris is also notorious for walking his clients to UFA, so that’s probably the most likely scenario here.

Lol. Marner ain’t getting traded after the Olympics. It’s the summer Olympics, why would that interfere with anything. None of the NHL beat reporters are on assignment at the Olympics.
Multiple reports from who?

And even that is only about asking him to waive. Anything about the Leafs not wanting to move him (beyond the coach making nice noises), or about Marner holding up a move? Lots of speculation, no facts.

I didn't say anything about him being traded after the Olympics. (I won't pull the annoying stunt of some posters by saying "go back and read it.") I said "(h)e may have been traded and all the principles have agreed to not announce it until after the Olympics."

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The thinking that because 'they haven't announced they aren't trading him' means they are, is just as whacked as the 'he hasn't been traded yet which proves he has no value around the league'.

View attachment 899937
Exactly. In the same way that 'they haven't announced they aren't trading him' doesn't means they aren't.

All we know is that they haven't (or haven't told us yet).

It seems some posters don't understand logic.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly. In the same way that 'they haven't announced they aren't trading him' doesn't means they aren't.

All we know is that they haven't (or haven't told us yet).

It seems some posters don't understand logic.
By that logic they may be trading the whole team since they haven't announced they aren't.

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad