Speculation: IF the Leafs don’t look legit

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
So, run it back again x many more years?...I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Lmao. How does me saying Marner is not the issue equate to 'run it back x many more years"? Did any of the core 4 dominate as you had hoped for all these years? Did our coach put on a masterclass? Did our starter at the time play well in the playoffs? I guarantee that you can't say "yes" to any of the àbove. But yeah.. Marner

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The question you should really be asking yourself is how do you rate the Leafs playoff performance since the core 4 started? You don't start by getting rid of the player with the most points in the playoffs who actually plays PK. How do the others get a pass when they can't make claim to the same yet will be making more next year?
All the stuff you can be true, but I asked how do you rate his performance the past two playoffs.

The answer you gave isn’t as blunt as the former player, broadcaster that stood at ice level covering the series and said he looked disinterested, but we can assume you said the same thing. Am I right?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, with better coaching he would have worked out in Toronto.

Still waiting for those future considerations ...

This would be the same for the people who want marner traded for Cap Space.
Until they get a competent GM they’re better off pretending they’re close to re-resigning him and selling his jersey this Christmas season.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
The question you should really be asking yourself is how do you rate the Leafs playoff performance since the core 4 started? You don't start by getting rid of the player with the most points in the playoffs who actually plays PK. How do the others get a pass when they can't make claim to the same yet will be making more next year?
Yes Mitchy plays PK, but he should not. He doesn't skate, he doesn't forcheck, he forms the box...that's it. With him wasting time on pk, other 3rd line guys who should be on pk feel useless and the core dominates thus we have no team. Nobody has a role except Mitchy, and he fails at both pk and pp.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sad times ahead. Another wasted year with this core……only even more expensive.

No one has crystal ball, we don’t know what can or will happen this year. If some fans are apathetic or have negative views because of past failures that is fair and warranted but there are a lot of fans that are also optimistic because they love the leafs and want them to succeed with the core we have which is also fair. The core will make the playoffs they’ve never missed outside of 2020, that’s one thing they’ve shown. Now it’s their last kick together to to prove everyone wrong. I really like the Berube hire, so I def believe the identity of the team will be different and really that’s all they need with the talent they have.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No one has crystal ball, we don’t know what can or will happen this year. If some fans are apathetic or have negative views because of past failures that is fair and warranted but there are a lot of fans that are also optimistic because they love the leafs and want them to succeed with the core we have which is also fair. The core will make the playoffs they’ve never missed outside of 2020, that’s one thing they’ve shown. Now it’s their last kick together to to prove everyone wrong. I really like the Berube hire, so I def believe the identity of the team will be different and really that’s all they need with the talent they have.
Mayb Berube can make them at least entertaining to watch. I don’t care about wins or losses in the playoffs or regular season. When they were almost down and out against Boston they finally played entertaining hockey for a couple of games.

I’d rather they miss the playoffs and have enjoyable hockey to watch than that garbage we’ve been watching under Keefe.

Reactions: LFKevin21

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Mayb Berube can make them at least entertaining to watch. I don’t care about wins or losses in the playoffs or regular season. When they were almost down and out against Boston they finally played entertaining hockey for a couple of games.

I’d rather they miss the playoffs and have enjoyable hockey to watch than that garbage we’ve been watching under Keefe.

You rather them miss the playoffs…

lol.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Until they get a competent GM they’re better off pretending they’re close to re-resigning him and selling his jersey this Christmas season.
I'd think everyone has his jersey. Now if they traded for a new player, jersey sales would increase, no?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Now the Nylander brothers are the epitome of Viking culture past and present, oh boy, just when you thought society couldn’t get any worse………

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It would have to have been a full 18-wheeler kind of season for us to even consider trading Marner. If he starts the season for us, 99% chance he’s either re-signed or walking as a UFA.

JT only leaves if he is told firmly that he’s not in the plans any more and that we don’t care if he’d take 2m per to stay.

These guys know they’ve got a good cushy gig and aren’t going to give it up lightly.
If you seriously wouldn't sign JT for 2 million, your opinions are useless

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Now the Nylander brothers are the epitome of Viking culture past and present, oh boy, just when you thought society couldn’t get any worse………

Are you saying you haven't noticed?

There's something to see everywhere.

I couldn't care if they wore pink pajamas on the subway ... just win it while I still recognize it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Some real gems in this thread.... It must be the middle of summer, and people have nothing to do.

Marner isn't very good at the PK, or PP....

People would prefer the team be worse, than the current version... somehow missing the playoffs completely is preferrable.

People wouldn't sign Tavares at $2 million...

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If you seriously wouldn't sign JT for 2 million, your opinions are useless
Did I say I wouldn't, or did I tell you that's the only way he was going to leave?

Not to bury the lede, I wouldn't sign him for 2m because I think that CHANGE, most notably in leadership and the core, is our single highest priority in teambuilding right now.

All of our opinions are useless, this is a message board and I do have a silly shark avatar to help recognize that fact. You just don't like my opinion very much, which you are entitled to. But my opinion is as good as any of the other farts in the wind that passes through here.

Some real gems in this thread.... It must be the middle of summer, and people have nothing to do.

People would prefer the team be worse, than the current version... somehow missing the playoffs completely is preferrable.

See above.

Do we actually miss the playoffs when we still have Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly? Is continually rearranging our supporting cast and playing with the salary cap the actual route to success, or is actual personnel turnover occasionally an important part of organizational change and growth?

Was dropping down to last place to rebuild preferable to muddling along in 9th every year? It really wasn't that long ago that the prevailing opinion was indeed that we should be worse than what the current version was, and that step backwards would lead to an eventual step forward. I do actually think that missing the playoffs completely for a while is preferable to continuing to bash our heads against the first round for another half decade with the same players.

People believe that this group is going to figure it out. People believe this group isn't going to figure it out. It's mega-lame that the two of you I'm quoting here think that attacking other posters when you don't like the opinion is the thing to do, but you are right that it's summer and there's nothing else to do so we might as well fight about it, eh?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd think everyone has his jersey. Now if they traded for a new player, jersey sales would increase, no?
There’s still a market. I mentioned the other day if they traded both JT and Marner and promoted the heck out the replacement they could maximizes jersey sales. I assume Pelley has run that model.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They were unwatchable the second half of last season. I’d rather they ice an entertaining team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Did I say I wouldn't, or did I tell you that's the only way he was going to leave?

Not to bury the lede, I wouldn't sign him for 2m because I think that CHANGE, most notably in leadership and the core, is our single highest priority in teambuilding right now.

All of our opinions are useless, this is a message board and I do have a silly shark avatar to help recognize that fact. You just don't like my opinion very much, which you are entitled to. But my opinion is as good as any of the other farts in the wind that passes through here.

See above.

Do we actually miss the playoffs when we still have Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly? Is continually rearranging our supporting cast and playing with the salary cap the actual route to success, or is actual personnel turnover occasionally an important part of organizational change and growth?

Was dropping down to last place to rebuild preferable to muddling along in 9th every year? It really wasn't that long ago that the prevailing opinion was indeed that we should be worse than what the current version was, and that step backwards would lead to an eventual step forward. I do actually think that missing the playoffs completely for a while is preferable to continuing to bash our heads against the first round for another half decade with the same players.

People believe that this group is going to figure it out. People believe this group isn't going to figure it out. It's mega-lame that the two of you I'm quoting here think that attacking other posters when you don't like the opinion is the thing to do, but you are right that it's summer and there's nothing else to do so we might as well fight about it, eh?

It's a discussion board, discussing topics... if that's "attacking other posters"... yikes.

I get wanting to change culture.. but not signing a decent C, at an incredible contract isn't very wise. The management's job is to ice the best team they can, they aren't going to drop down, or tank for a year or two, to move back forward. That's just not anything close to reality. Every year, they will try to put together the best team they think they can, and that would include JT at $2 mil, or $4 mil for that matter.

They were unwatchable the second half of last season. I’d rather they ice an entertaining team.

5th in the league in points in the second half of the season... totally unwatchable.

25-14-2 52 points.

Reactions: francis246

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's a discussion board, discussing topics... if that's "attacking other posters"... yikes.

I get wanting to change culture.. but not signing a decent C, at an incredible contract isn't very wise. The management's job is to ice the best team they can, they aren't going to drop down, or tank for a year or two, to move back forward. That's just not anything close to reality. Every year, they will try to put together the best team they think they can, and that would include JT at $2 mil, or $4 mil for that matter.

5th in the league in points in the second half of the season... totally unwatchable.

25-14-2 52 points.
Yet, they were not even remotely entertaining.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I could see 3*$6mm
He'll be 34 when the league year starts July 1st., 2025, so it could be bought out.

Owes $8mm to CRA, net income over 3 years probably goes to CRA.

JT at $6m is madness, at $2m it's madness to not pull the trigger.
You're paying that worthless plug Kampf more than that.

JT is pretty invisible 5v5 but he'd still pick up points on the PP, even on PP2

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

25-14-2 52 points.
The other guy straight up called my opinions useless. I know that's not you, but "Gems" and "people would" are obviously snide and mocking. My knickers aren't in a twist about the whole thing, but neither of those responses were actually discussing the topic.

Choosing to bring back Tavares on a bargain deal is entirely about prioritization. If you prioritize asset management and having players under bargain contracts over culture change, then sure, to show him the door is not wise. If you prioritize the change, then bringing him back at any cost is not wise.

Management's job is to ice the best team they can both now and in the future. The Leafs are a going concern, which is why we don't trade all of our prospects and picks every year, there must be that eye towards tomorrow. Management could absolutely decide that they don't like this group and engage in a retool, believing it will lead to a better future for the team, and that's a concept well within the realm of professional sports reality. They aren't declining all strong C's on 2m/4m deals now and in the future, that would be very silly indeed, but if they're turning down Tavares that's telling a specific player that it's time to move on. Entirely plausible, for the reasons of prioritization that I've listed in these last two paragraphs.

Is this management group actually going to do that? Almost certainly not. But I'll hope and post anyways.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad