Speculation: IF the Leafs don’t look legit

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Marner is still in the team by game 1, I'd say the odds of him being traded are close to zero. It will then either be a massive extension or he walks as an own rental. Between those two options I have no idea at this point which is more likely to occur

Not sure which way is the better option, just know that if I have another 20 years to watch I will regardless of what happens to the temps.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Can't wait for Marner's usual slow start. All the detractors will see it as confirmation that he needs to go. When he heats up in November it will mean nothing because it's not playoffs. He would literally need to dominate every game in those playoffs for the nay sayers to back off even though he has more playoff points than any of the core 4 while also receiving Selke nominations. To boot, he will be making the least out of the core 4 at that point. I wouldn't be mad if he walked out as an FA given the ridiculous nature of some of our fandom. It's the same type of fandom that drove Larry Murphy out. If I were the Leaf brass, I would extend him and ask Tavares to take a significant pay cut next year. If he wants to stay.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pretty clear there hasn't been any deals that make us better out there. We could have made a deal and lost it badly.

I am saying I would be open to making a bad trade in season to get something for them. Maybe could get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd from a mid team and get 12th OA or something and replenish the cupboard and retool in UFA
I'm not sure it is clear that there hasn't been any deals out there.... I just don't think they are pursuing it very hard, if at all.. Berube wants a chance to coach this group.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Can't wait for Marner's usual slow start. All the detractors will see it as confirmation that he needs to go. When he heats up in November it will mean nothing because it's not playoffs. He would literally need to dominate every game in those playoffs for the nay sayers to back off even though he has more playoff points than any of the core 4 while also receiving Selke nominations. To boot, he will be making the least out of the core 4 at that point. I wouldn't be mad if he walked out as an FA given the ridiculous nature of some of our fandom. It's the same type of fandom that drove Larry Murphy out. If I were the Leaf brass, I would extend him and ask Tavares to take a significant pay cut next year. If he wants to stay.
:laugh::help:

Reactions: ToneDog

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Considering they both have NMC's, it's a rather silly question. I think if they were gonna trade Marner, it would have happened after this season.

Right now I think both of these players end up playing out their contracts and its off to free agency.

Exactly, I don’t understand how people have not completely clued into this by now. If the leafs truly wanted Marner gone, he would have been gone. They have no interest in trading Marner at this point.

People keep saying other teams don’t want Marner, tons of teams want Marner. The leafs just aren’t at a point where they want to trade him. They aren’t even actively shopping him and that should be evidence enough. It’s clear that Shanahan believes in this core and it’s the hill he is going to die on. The are getting one last crack this up coming season. It’s also pretty clear they gave Berube a lot of say in this decision.

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How do rate Marner’s playoff performance the past 2 yrs?

Reactions: HolyCrap

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Murphy was run out of town by Murphy.

Mike just made it difficult on Larry by playing him in every role.

He was not a shutdown defender, and yet he'd be out there trying to hold a lead.

Coaching ... Leafs are due for another good one.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
If Tavares hasn’t had it with the team he’s had with his family and agent and I suspect he’s wants to be moved to a contender at the TDL.

I don’t know if Marner prioritizes contending this season and his ideal scenario to maximize his next contract would be to get 100 points and have the team miss the playoffs.

Management sees an opportunity to add a couple of new players, get a little bump, and sell some jerseys.
I am not sure how it ideal for Marner to miss the playoffs.

Ideally if he wanted to maximize he would light itvup in the playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1723083078648.png

What if Columbus is the real Alex?
What if Grebyonkin can make the transition?
What if Cowan is the real deal?
What if DEL Defenseman of the Year 2023-2024 is legit?

Reactions: arso40

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Exactly, I don’t understand how people have not completely clued into this by now. If the leafs truly wanted Marner gone, he would have been gone. They have no interest in trading Marner at this point.

People keep saying other teams don’t want Marner, tons of teams want Marner. The leafs just aren’t at a point where they want to trade him. They aren’t even actively shopping him and that should be evidence enough. It’s clear that Shanahan believes in this core and it’s the hill he is going to die on. The are getting one last crack this up coming season. It’s also pretty clear they gave Berube a lot of say in this decision.
Sad times ahead. Another wasted year with this core……only even more expensive.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If they only knew for sure they were as long term bad as the Jays.

Decisions would be easy.

Trade everyone except a couple of stars for mediocre prospects.
Pretty much anyone that has watched this group flounder in the playoffs the last 8 years knows they are as bad as the jays

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
How do rate Marner’s playoff performance the past 2 yrs?
The question you should really be asking yourself is how do you rate the Leafs playoff performance since the core 4 started? You don't start by getting rid of the player with the most points in the playoffs who actually plays PK. How do the others get a pass when they can't make claim to the same yet will be making more next year?

• Haha

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Murphy was run out of town by Murphy.

Mike just made it difficult on Larry by playing him in every role.

He was not a shutdown defender, and yet he'd be out there trying to hold a lead.

Coaching ... Leafs are due for another good one.
Screenshot_20240807-233031_Samsung Internet.jpg

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The question you should really be asking yourself is how do you rate the Leafs playoff performance since the core 4 started? You don't start by getting rid of the player with the most points in the playoffs who actually plays PK. How do the others get a pass when they can't make claim to the same yet will be making more next year?
Likeability factor comes into play.

Reactions: ACC1224

myleafs

May 25, 2021
So, run it back again x many more years?...I just threw up in my mouth a little.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and Racer88

Ad

Ad

Ad