Speculation: IF the Leafs don’t look legit

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What if JT wants a chance to win a Cup? There’s got to be a couple of places he’d consider
Who eats all the cap for a guy who is a ppg player at best? There would have to be massive retention and they still need another C, not a maybe like Mitch or Willie. You retain and still pay the new C and how far ahead does that leave you capwise?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Imagine actually believing that there is any chance the Leafs will be sellers, baring SEVERE injury, and not just 1 either It's not going to happen.

and if does happen there is nothing to sell because it means everybody is hurt because that's what it would require.

If there is 1 thing NOBODY here should question it is regular season performance.

This WILL be a top 10 team, they always are, and they WILL be buyers because they always are.

If you are expecting them to miss the playoffs then you are expecting season and/or career ending injury to Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly, and Knies because that's what it would require.

Me? I'm expecting them to be in the top 5-10 in the league, I'm thinking we get career years out of Marner and Matthews, at least in terms of points I don't know if Matthews scores 69 goals again but I won't say he can't either because I thought 60 was his max and then he put up 69 2 years later so I'll never say never with Matthews.

I'd argue this is among the strongest opening night roster they have had it 25 years, and the strongest coaching staff.

Baring severe injury there is no shot this team is selling.

In fact I'll go a step further you can forget selling as long as Matthews is a Leaf.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you are going to point fingers let your agenda go
It’s been proven that matthews and marner set up a play and Willy didn’t like it and told them both on the bench this is not junior.

Stop blaming marner for everything
It’s not a good look for someone with as many posts as you have
Truth and honesty aren't familiar to the froth brigade.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
If the Leafs are struggling at the deadline, they will sell even more of the future to get in. Marner will be re-signed mid-season after he has a hot streak.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews quit for a few days right after that and Willy didn’t play the first few games.

They played like gangbusters trying to score that 70th goal. I often wonder if they overextended themselves and couldnt get motivated for the playoffs.

Bull

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s been proven that matthews and marner set up a play and Willy didn’t like it and told them both on the bench this is not junior.

Nothing about that situation has been proven at all. We still have no clarity on what exactly was directed at who. That said, this shit happens and generally means nothing, so I’m not sure why people still care.

I do agree though that people need to stop blaming Marner for everything. It’s gone way past the point of being ridiculously

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nothing about that situation has been proven at all. We still have no clarity on what exactly was directed at who. That said, this shit happens and generally means nothing, so I’m not sure why people still care.

I do agree though that people need to stop blaming Marner for everything. It’s gone way past the point of being ridiculously
What was described is pretty much what happened. A play was drawn up, it was open and Nylander didn't execute, he went off script.
Matthews and Marner called him out at the bench and then Marner threw his gloves in frustration at Nylanders response.

Obviously you can choose to believe it or not. I trust who told me, so I believe it.

These things happen all the time, on all teams. It just shows the players care.

The bolded is without question, can't remember anything as idiotic being spewed daily. Really lost a lot of respect for a few posters, others were always idiotic so they're easily ignored.

Reactions: therealkoho

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews quit for a few days right after that and Willy didn’t play the first few games.

They played like gangbusters trying to score that 70th goal. I often wonder if they overextended themselves and couldnt get motivated for the playoffs.

Matthews didn't quit at any point.

If you are going to lie make it realistic

Reactions: Bust

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Most of the fan base has been open to this for at least a season or two... some much longer... and yet, here we are....

View attachment 899654

Pretty clear there hasn't been any deals that make us better out there. We could have made a deal and lost it badly.

I am saying I would be open to making a bad trade in season to get something for them. Maybe could get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd from a mid team and get 12th OA or something and replenish the cupboard and retool in UFA

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What was described is pretty much what happened. A play was drawn up, it was open and Nylander didn't execute, he went off script.
Matthews and Marner called him out at the bench and then Marner threw his gloves in frustration at Nylanders response.

Obviously you can choose to believe it or not. I trust who told me, so I believe it.

These things happen all the time, on all teams. It just shows the players care.

The bolded is without question, can't remember anything as idiotic being spewed daily. Really lost a lot of respect for a few posters, others were always idiotic so they're easily ignored.

I don't doubt that is what you heard.

The interpretation of what happened wouldn't be truly known to us, and hearing from the marner camp would of course absolve one of the parties without question.

I don't think what happened was a bad thing.
They care, but this isn't the Red Army team where everyone is subordinate to a couple players.

Reactions: Bust and Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

In the big picture I blame all 3. Marner just happens to be the odd man out if they move one. Trust me, I think both the latest Matthews and Nylander contracts suck and an are undeserved because they have won squat in the playoffs to deserve them.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Pretty clear there hasn't been any deals that make us better out there. We could have made a deal and lost it badly.

I am saying I would be open to making a bad trade in season to get something for them. Maybe could get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd from a mid team and get 12th OA or something and replenish the cupboard and retool in UFA
They should target the Pens. Dubas can continue to bet everything on Marner, Marner can take Dubas to the woodshed, and Dubas hardly ever wins a trade.

Everybody wins.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’m too old for this shit, what’s with the corn rows, are they pretending to be Bo Derek?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who eats all the cap for a guy who is a ppg player at best? There would have to be massive retention and they still need another C, not a maybe like Mitch or Willie. You retain and still pay the new C and how far ahead does that leave you capwise?
At the TDL it wouldn’t be bad and many teams can make it fit. He’s a hard worker and I could see teams wanting him.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
In a scenario where the Leafs do not look like a true contender on the ice and place third in the Atlantic, do you keep Tavares and Marner as own rentals or trade them away?
Why do people refuse to accept the existence of NMCs?
I am exhausted with this shit quite honestly.

Reactions: notdoneyet

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They were 21-21 at the halfway mark last year.

When do they decide to pull the trigger. How far down the rabbit hole do they need to go. If they aren't better than a .500 team halfway through this season heads should be rolling.

Not just the coach either.

There's already a crisis of confidence among fans. The team regularly comes in bottom of league polls. Expecting the greatest fan base in the world to continue accepting mediocrity at this point is unbridled arrogance.

Boo Marner and strip Tavares of the C.

Both those guys can pound pavement if they lose in the first round again. And if they aren't even in a playoffs position by the halfway point the entire front office should be hitting the bricks with them. Up til now regular season success has been the only things fans have had to cheer for.

If they don't even have that this year what do they expect fans to do.
We survived Ballard, nothing absolutely nothing is killing this golden goose.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Marner is still in the team by game 1, I'd say the odds of him being traded are close to zero. It will then either be a massive extension or he walks as an own rental. Between those two options I have no idea at this point which is more likely to occur

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It would have to have been a full 18-wheeler kind of season for us to even consider trading Marner. If he starts the season for us, 99% chance he’s either re-signed or walking as a UFA.

JT only leaves if he is told firmly that he’s not in the plans any more and that we don’t care if he’d take 2m per to stay.

These guys know they’ve got a good cushy gig and aren’t going to give it up lightly.

Reactions: myleafs

Ad

Ad

Ad