If Shesterkin was to hit UFA, how much would you offer him ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How much for Igor ?

• $14m+

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • $12-14m

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • $10-12m

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • Less than $10m

Votes: 60 53.1%

• Total voters

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Excellent post. And that vasi 9.5 mil number was the year they LTIR kucherov 9.5 mil caphit..

Understood. But I’d take a goalie like Shesterkin and will gladly pay him instead one of the soft wingers in Toronto. You gotta have the right mix of players to win. I take a goalie like Shesterkin any day of the week.

Jun 15, 2007
Past performance is much less correlated with future performance for goalies than any other position.

9mx7 final offer.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If no other team cannot or will not even come close to paying that number, then the Rangers don't have to cave. That's my point. Having the highest paid goaltender by a long shot has not proven to be a great model for winning a cup.
There's a market for Shesterkin if NYR don't pony up. Teams find ways to clear cap space. Teams need goaltending.

If he gets to UFA status 4 potential things took place.

1 -NYR won't go above a price they're set at.
2- NYR had a bad season.
3- Shesterkin had a bad season and NYR won't come close to that ask on some middle ground.
4- He had a fantastic season and Shesterkin isn't going to budge, in which case, some other team most likely will acknowledge the fantastic season and pony up.

I won't disagree that having the highest paid goalie could go very wrong for your team, but I think he'll easily get above the 10.5m range from another team if he has a good season.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
None of the above I wouldn't go over 7.5 over 5 years for a goalie

the position is too unpredictable nowadays
People say that it's unpredictable and voodoo etc but I think that's just a narrative fans use to justify having more cap space.

I'm confident in saying that goalies stats are just as consistent year to year as every other position.

I also think that the voodoo thing partly stems from flash in the pan goalies who have one good year and get hyped more than other positions because of all positions a dominant goalie can carry a team all the way and can cover up teams other flaws more than one player from another position can.

The cream of the crop goalies might have some down seasons sprinkled in but that's true of every position.

To me goaltending is the most important position and teams are finally investing more in the amount they draft, scout, develop etc with some teams like Vancouver, Nashville, NYR, some teams to me that stand out as teams that embraced it earlier.

I'd pay Igor 10+.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
3 votes for 14+

Is that Jim Benning and his sons voting in here.
Lol. Benning was such an enigma when you really think about it.

He was terrible for the most part with UFA's but was surprisingly good at re+upping his own players.

He drafted EP, Quinn, Demko, Brock before an after Joulevi, Virtanen, Podz.
Traded for JT but also traded for OEL.

Ya every GM has hits misses etc but the polar extremes of his are on another level lol.

If he had drafted Igor he likely gets him at a great deal but as a UFA not only overpays but would do it willingly.

I was a big defender of his but after JR and Allvin I now look back and feel like such an idiot for the lengths I went to argue for him. Got banned for it ffs lol.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Depends. If Woll shows he is legit I think we use the cap space elsewhere. If by free agency we still have questions in goal, I would give him 11M because YOLO. Then run with one of our prospects as the backup/tandem guy.

Leafs haven't had an elite get on my back boys goaltending performance outside of Woll's couple of games before he got hurt since Cujo. If Shesterkin can give us 1 of those during the final few years of Matthews deal it is worth it.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
There's a market for Shesterkin if NYR don't pony up. Teams find ways to clear cap space. Teams need goaltending.

If he gets to UFA status 4 potential things took place.

1 -NYR won't go above a price they're set at.
2- NYR had a bad season.
3- Shesterkin had a bad season and NYR won't come close to that ask on some middle ground.
4- He had a fantastic season and Shesterkin isn't going to budge, in which case, some other team most likely will acknowledge the fantastic season and pony up.

I won't disagree that having the highest paid goalie could go very wrong for your team, but I think he'll easily get above the 10.5m range from another team if he has a good season.
Other than Florida and Tampa and LA how many teams have won cups with Elite goaltending?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Other than Florida and Tampa and LA how many teams have won cups with Elite goaltending?
Not sure what point you're trying to make by quoting what I said. I didn't NYR should pay Shesterking a ton of money. I didn't say other teams should pay Shesterkin a ton of money for 8 years. I didn't say you need elite goaltending to win the cup. I said, there's a market for Shesterkin if Rangers don't pony it up.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Most teams do.

Caps had it. Murray was elite on the Pens. Crawford was elite for the Hawks.

People look down on goalies because they don't always have long consistent careers, but you almost always need a really good goalie to win it all.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I wouldn't bet too much on it.

SC winning goaltenders in the last ~13 years:

Bobrovsky - $10M
Adin Hill - $2.175M
Kuemper - $3.5M
Vasy - $3.5M and $9.5M (2)
Murray - $628K (2)
Binnington - $650K
Holtby - $6.1M
Crawford - $2.67M and $6M (2)
Quick - $1.8M and $2.9M (2)

10M = 1 cup
9+M = 1 cup
6+M = 2 cups
1-4M = 6 cups
Less than 1M = 3 cups

You need to make this percentage of cap, if you want this to be meaningful. Holtby making $6.1M then is not the same as making $6.1M today.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'd rather pay a 25 year old swayman 10m than a 30 year old vasi 10m for 7 years.

That being said I wouldn't pay swayman 10m lol

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Lol. Benning was such an enigma when you really think about it.

He was terrible for the most part with UFA's but was surprisingly good at re+upping his own players.

He drafted EP, Quinn, Demko, Brock before an after Joulevi, Virtanen, Podz.
Traded for JT but also traded for OEL.

Ya every GM has hits misses etc but the polar extremes of his are on another level lol.

If he had drafted Igor he likely gets him at a great deal but as a UFA not only overpays but would do it willingly.

I was a big defender of his but after JR and Allvin I now look back and feel like such an idiot for the lengths I went to argue for him. Got banned for it ffs lol.
He traded for OEL, signed Connor garland, signed Tanner Pearson all while simultaneously complaining about not having enough money for Hughes and Pettersson

Benning sucked at extensions

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'd rather pay a 25 year old swayman 10m than a 30 year old vasi 10m for 7 years.

That being said I wouldn't pay swayman 10m lol
He signed at age 25. I'd rather be a team in cap hell with 2 recent cups after that signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad