Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
oh-boy.gif

This thread is about to go off the rails. :laugh:

So it begins. Two posters enter! One poster leaves!

tumblr_mtoqavEQWL1rq9nqbo1_500.gif

Any center can play wing just as well. Especially old, slow, banged up centers. :propeller:scared:

:laugh:

That beanie gif is underused.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
4th leading scorer on the Kings, got less ice time than he has in the past, didn't always play with talented linemates, lowest shooting % of his career, other than his rookie season, which could indicate that he was a little unlucky. I think he's still got something left.

But I don't think it makes sense for him to come back, and it probably doesn't make sense for us. Maybe if Vinny wasn't here.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
4th leading scorer on the Kings, got less ice time than he has in the past, didn't always play with talented linemates, lowest shooting % of his career, other than his rookie season, which could indicate that he was a little unlucky. I think he's still got something left.

But I don't think it makes sense for him to come back, and it probably doesn't make sense for us. Maybe if Vinny wasn't here.

His PDO (which is just shooting + save percentage) is low this year, suggesting he'll probably bounce back a little bit, but you also have to start taking his age into account. Also the fact that teams may be willing to give him 2nd line money, which I don't think we should be doing.

If we could pay him like a 3rd/4th liner, I'd think about it, assuming Laughton comes up, Vinny is gone, and Schenn moves to wing. But that's a lot to ask.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I would love to have him back...but things would have to play out a certain way. LA would actually have to buy him out (which I dont think they will), we would likely have to trade Vinny (which i don't think we will be able to do) and he would have to be willing to accepts a reasonable cap hit (which is unlikely with the war the market is).

I think he would play here again in a heart beat...he loved living in Philly and that is probably a much bigger factor for him than having hard feelings.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
XXXX-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Richards-Hartnell
Rindaldo-Laughton-Raffle

That would be a tough line up to go up against...but like I said, a lot would have to happen. I love the potential of the "Mr. Fantastic" duo on the third line :yo:.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
If mike richards is bought out would you look at bringing him back to philladphia! Most would say no im assuming due to salary and a poor performance this year. But i would love to have him back! He was a character player and would look great on girouxs wing. Thoughts?

Everyone here is missing the point... it is not whether or not Richards will want to come here and whether or not he will fit in with the current roster... or even if he will be able to be signed within the Cap restraints.

The big question is how would Hextall and the Flyers fit in Carter and his complete current contract when he holds his breath and turns blue, as he causes a complete King meltdown as he demands that LA moves him... to only the one team where he can again be reunited with his Bud... Here on Dry Island. :sarcasm:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Question:

How would the recently new NHL penalty work down the line on these long-term deals that save Cap?... When retirement happens the team(s) gets whacked at the end... With Richards, IIRC the Flyers are effected a tad, as it was explaned... but even if they aren't, I believe the Kings would be.

I understand that a Buy-Out... and in this case muddling up the work, a 'Compliance Buy-Out... is not a retirement unless the player does retire... but eventually they will. Does the Contract that saved Cap merely go bye bye, or does the penalty still show up at the end, and if it does, then how does the Buy-Outs/Compliance Buy-Outs effect it... if they does?

Just a thought to maybe cause a headache or two for some in contemplation.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Compliance buyout is a complete amnesty...if a player retires after being bought out normally I have no idea if anybody gets dinged. I assume not, because the contract ends; I think there is only a penalty if the player retires before the contract ends, in that case, any team that had benefit gets dinged.

We aren't on the hook for Richards at all, his contract started after he was traded.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Compliance buyout is a complete amnesty...if a player retires after being bought out normally I have no idea if anybody gets dinged. I assume not, because the contract ends; I think there is only a penalty if the player retires before the contract ends, in that case, any team that had benefit gets dinged.

We aren't on the hook for Richards at all, his contract started after he was traded.

You're thinking of Carter's.

Richards's started earlier (2008-09). But we only had 650k in "cap savings" banked at the time of the trade. In fact, we actually had a couple years of anti-cap savings when his salary was less than his cap hit. I'm pretty sure we don't get credit for that, though.

So if Richards were to retire out of his contract, we'd only be on the hook for 650k divided by the number of years remaining on the deal. So it's a negligible amount.

Should be moot, though. I just see no way he doesn't get amnestied.

EDIT: CBA says we do get credit for those years. So, in fact, our aggregate cap advantage amount is only 150k. So even less negligible.

EDIT #2: Apparently the mere fact that Richards's contract was traded before the CBA was enacted negates us from any penalty at all. So now it's truly negligible!

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If mike richards is bought out would you look at bringing him back to philladphia! Most would say no im assuming due to salary and a poor performance this year. But i would love to have him back! He was a character player and would look great on girouxs wing. Thoughts?

Why would LA buy him? they are in the cup final and there are other players that are sucking bigger then him.

FYI

Before a player is bought out he needs to go on waivers--Richards wont clear

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

You're thinking of Carter's.

Richards's started earlier (2008-09). But we only had 650k in "cap savings" banked at the time of the trade. In fact, we actually had a couple years of anti-cap savings when his salary was less than his cap hit. I'm pretty sure we don't get credit for that, though.

So if Richards were to retire out of his contract, we'd only be on the hook for 650k divided by the number of years remaining on the deal. So it's a negligible amount.

Should be moot, though. I just see no way he doesn't get amnestied.

EDIT: CBA says we do get credit for those years. So, in fact, our aggregate cap advantage amount is only 150k. So even less negligible.

EDIT #2: Apparently the mere fact that Richards's contract was traded before the CBA was enacted negates us from any penalty at all. So now it's truly negligible!

Thanks, guys... it all made sense. :nod:

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Why would LA buy him? they are in the cup final and there are other players that are sucking bigger then him.

FYI

Before a player is bought out he needs to go on waivers--Richards wont clear

So that saves LA from having to buy him out? :huh:

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
As irrational and fickle as it sounds, Richards is a couple good games away from having decent trade value.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The Oilers would be smart to bring in Richie, but I highly expect him to go through waivers with that contract and to be bought out. LA does play him perfectly though on the fourth line while being brought up some and also playing a lot of special teams. He is a proven winner.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Vinny is one dimensional and now we want to add Richards who is becoming one dimensional and aging like he has progeria? No thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad