If Mike Richards is bought out...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If mike richards is bought out would you look at bringing him back to philladphia! Most would say no im assuming due to salary and a poor performance this year. But i would love to have him back! He was a character player and would look great on girouxs wing. Thoughts?

he's not a winger in that mold. he is a third line player at best, who could move around in a pinch. he's not reliably a top-6 forward.

there's no role for him here.

besides this has leafs written all over it

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
On a short term deal for only a couple to a few mil absolutely but since he'll most likely be overpaid I'd stay away and this is from a huge Richards fan who thinks he's still got some good hockey left him, he just doesn't fill a big need.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Wait people see him playing on the 3rd abd 4th line on the Kings and some people here are mentioning him on Giroux's or Schenn's line?

Seriously?

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
We've moved on from Carter and Richards. Lavi and Pronger may not be around but again I think Hextall is not going to recycle aging veterans like Holmgren did. This is particularly the case for players like Lecavalier and Richards who for various reasons can't keep up with the game like they used to...

PASS.....

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
Wait people see him playing on the 3rd abd 4th line on the Kings and some people here are mentioning him on Giroux's or Schenn's line?

Seriously?

At the end of the day Richards is a better fit on Giroux's wing than Hartnell. His hockey sense alone makes him better than Scott. Having him in that position alone would bring defensive stability to the top line and I certainly think Richards has the ideal hockey sense to play with guys like G and Jake. At this point if Richards came to Philly he's a guy you can slot just about anywhere and he'd succeed. Has he declined? No doubt but he'd bring options through the line up, give stability to the second PP unit and actually would be great in a reduced role compared to his first go around in Philly. I don't see LA buying him out, he's a guy coming off 2 concussions and looks fatigued due to it. A good offseason and this whole buy out "richards" garbage is dust in the wind.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
At the end of the day Richards is a better fit on Giroux's wing than Hartnell. His hockey sense alone makes him better than Scott. Having him in that position alone would bring defensive stability to the top line and I certainly think Richards has the ideal hockey sense to play with guys like G and Jake. At this point if Richards came to Philly he's a guy you can slot just about anywhere and he'd succeed. Has he declined? No doubt but he'd bring options through the line up, give stability to the second PP unit and actually would be great in a reduced role compared to his first go around in Philly. I don't see LA buying him out, he's a guy coming off 2 concussions and looks fatigued due to it. A good offseason and this whole buy out "richards" garbage is dust in the wind.

Hartnell is a better option on the first line than Mike Richards would ever be. Richards doesn't play LW even, so why would he be a better fit. His hockey sense is making up for the lack of playing the position? His lack of speed? How is that made up?

Richards isn't garbage but he is not a top 6 player anymore. Third line center he could be but not with the Flyers. I rather take the natural LWer who is 20+30 every year than Richards.

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
Hartnell is a better option on the first line than Mike Richards would ever be. Richards doesn't play LW even, so why would he be a better fit. His hockey sense is making up for the lack of playing the position? His lack of speed? How is that made up?

Richards isn't garbage but he is not a top 6 player anymore. Third line center he could be but not with the Flyers. I rather take the natural LWer who is 20+30 every year than Richards.

I'm sorry but bringing up speed and position to justify an argument with Scott Hartnell is just ****ing silly. No he's not a natural LWer I agree but he's shown in LA and the 2010 Olympics he can play the position. His positioning is what makes him a great player. Richards has never been FAST but his ability to ready the play is something I take over a player who time after time kills offensive opportunities. The fact Richards still plays the point on a Power play unit over a natural defender gives me the wavering opinion that his hockey sense, versatility and positioning is still there and at a much higher level than Scott Hartnell and many other one dimensional players that play on this team.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'm sorry but bringing up speed and position to justify an argument with Scott Hartnell is just ****ing silly. No he's not a natural LWer I agree but he's shown in LA and the 2010 Olympics he can play the position. His positioning is what makes him a great player. Richards has never been FAST but his ability to ready the play is something I take over a player who time after time kills offensive opportunities. The fact Richards still plays the point on a Power play unit over a natural defender gives me the wavering opinion that his hockey sense, versatility and positioning is still there and at a much higher level than Scott Hartnell and many other one dimensional players that play on this team.

You know what is silly, people who say Hartnell isn't a good skater. He can skate fine but isn't a dynamic skater like people want. He doesn't have bad speed and his acceleration is good. His edge work is his weak point.

Also, Scott Hartnell is not one dimensional. It is something people really fail to see. He back checks as hard as anyone on this team and is rarely out of position on the defensive side of the ice. Have we ever seen people other than HF posters complain about Hartnell's defense? I can't tell you one occasion that has happened.

We really need to get over the nostalgia of Richards. He is just not the player he once was, that is why the Kings are contemplating letting him go via buyout. This is a team that is about to win a cup and he can't play LW on their third line. He is a third line center at best and shouldn't be anywhere near the top 6 of a team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

That was the 2010 Olympics. We're in 2014. I'm all for replacing Hartnell, but Richards isn't the guy.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I dont think Richards will get bought out unless there is a buyout clause that prevents the Kings from doing it in later years. When Richards was traded supposedly he was dealing with two bad shoulders, and bad wrists. So maybe those injuries and the concussions are beginning to take a toll on him. Richards is still pretty young, and LA doesn't need him to play 20 mins a night either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I dont think Richards will get bought out unless there is a buyout clause that prevents the Kings from doing it in later years. When Richards was traded, he was dealing with two bad shoulders, and bad wrists. So maybe those injuries and the concussions are beginning to take a toll on him. Richards is still pretty young, and LA doesn't need him to play 20 mins a night either.

They haven't used an amnesty yet, so, they certainly can

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I dont think Richards will get bought out unless there is a buyout clause that prevents the Kings from doing it in later years. When Richards was traded supposedly he was dealing with two bad shoulders, and bad wrists. So maybe those injuries and the concussions are beginning to take a toll on him. Richards is still pretty young, and LA doesn't need him to play 20 mins a night either.

The window for the amnesty buy-out's close this summer. They can use a regular buy-out later but don't get the full cap relief.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
On the subject of buyouts I have heard the names Brown and Richards come up fairly often in regards to the Kings. I had been thinking that both would most likely be bought out this off-season.

Only thing is that I just realized, I don't think Brown can even be bought out. Now that's a TERRIBLE contract that the Kings, IMO, would want to get rid of but it looks like they aren't allowed to.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
On the subject of buyouts I have heard the names Brown and Richards come up fairly often in regards to the Kings. I had been thinking that both would most likely be bought out this off-season.

Only thing is that I just realized, I don't think Brown can even be bought out. Now that's a TERRIBLE contract that the Kings, IMO, would want to get rid of but it looks like they aren't allowed to.

Yeah, Brown's contract is easily worse than Richards'.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The thing that sucks for LA is the way the Flyers structured Richards contract. In terms of actual salary they had the big payout years in the middle of the contract which they're currently in now.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Let's sign Gagne as well. Richards-Vinny-Gagne - the "living in the past" line.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wouldn't be opposed to getting Richards back if it was on a short-term, small dollar deal. No harm in that at all.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
does he play LW? the last thing we need is another center.

he's not even that effective anymore as a player. certainly not for the money he is gonna want.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't be opposed to getting Richards back if it was on a short-term, small dollar deal. No harm in that at all.
why not give his roster spot to a younger guy who has more upside and needs to get some icetime?

oh-boy.gif

This thread is about to go off the rails. :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
does he play LW? the last thing we need is another center.

he's not even that effective anymore as a player. certainly not for the money he is gonna want.

Any center can play wing just as well. Especially old, slow, banged up centers. :propeller:scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad