Speculation: If Marchand leaves Boston where is the best fit?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Now to be clear I don't think for 1 second he's leaving Boston but if he does where do you think he fits best?

I don't know if they have the cap space to sign him but I think he'd fit like a glove no Calgaru top line

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Now to be clear I don't think for 1 second he's leaving Boston but if he does where do you think he fits best?

I don't know if they have the cap space to sign him but I think he'd fit like a glove no Calgaru top line

Based on the World Cup, I would say Crosby's left wing.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Would fit very nicely in Pittsburgh. If not for the salary cap. No idea how they could fit his salary in.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if leaves then money is going to be a major factor

in which case i am going to guess the Vegas whatevers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would fit very nicely in Pittsburgh. If not for the salary cap. No idea how they could fit his salary in.

If the Pens manage to trade Fleury for nothing, lose Sheary to expansion (that's actually not that unrealistic, especially if he's playing on Crosby's wing for the year), don't re-sign Bonino and sign Marchand to the same contract that Ladd, Okposo and Eriksson got, the Pens would have:

Marchand ($6)-Crosby ($8.7)-Hornqvist ($4.25)
Hagelin ($4)-Malkin ($9.5)-Kessel ($6.8)
Rust ($650k)-Fehr ($2)-Sprong ($925k)
Wilson ($625k)-Sundqvist ($800k)-Kuhnhackl ($625k)
XXXXXX-XXXXXX

Dumoulin ($3.75)-Letang ($7.25)
Maatta ($4)-XXXXXX
Cole ($2.1)-Schultz ($1.6)
Pouliot ($1)

Murray ($4)-XXXXXXX

That lineup costs $68.575 million, which would leave around $6.5 million to get a 2nd pair RD (which I actually think Pouliot might become, I think he breaks out this year), a backup goalie and 2 extra forwards. So they could probably make Marchand work. If Pouliot breaks out, he'll be looking at closer to $3 million I'd guess, but even then, they can get a backup goalie and 3 extra players for $3.5 million. If they can get someone like Guentzel to be able to take the 3C spot, that would help even more.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
he'd make ottawa's top nine look pretty sweet if we could fit him in our budget. if we can fill in some roster spots pretty cheaply and we do well this season, i think melnyk could be convinced to go big on marchand.

marchand 7x7

hoffman - turris - stone
marchand - brassard - ryan
macarthur - pageau (2.5 mil bridge) - lazar (1.2 mil second contract)
dzingel - paul - ?
pyatt (resigned at 800k)

englund (defensive defenseman rookie) - karlsson
phaneuf - ceci
borowiecki - wideman
claesson

methot going to expansion frees up some money. lots of it goes to re-upping pageau, lazar, englund coming in to replace him, and some kids to fill out the bottom of the roster.

smith doesn't get resigned because marchand signing means he'd be fourth line center or winger. he'll be too expensive for that role. roster comes in at at a cap hit of about $67,362,333 without another winger signed and an actual salary of around $67,454,833, also missing a fourth line rw.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Habs, him and Gally are BFFs now, no? ;)

Marchand - Shaw - Gallagher

Ouch... i think i would love that second line.

Basically, if Marchand hits the UFA, market we would have choice between Radulov and him. I love that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think money could be a bigger factor then most people think, reason being is he doesn't need to chase a cup he's already won so his focus might be the biggest payday since he doesn't have to worry about winning a title.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
If the Pens manage to trade Fleury for nothing, lose Sheary to expansion (that's actually not that unrealistic, especially if he's playing on Crosby's wing for the year), don't re-sign Bonino and sign Marchand to the same contract that Ladd, Okposo and Eriksson got, the Pens would have:

Marchand ($6)-Crosby ($8.7)-Hornqvist ($4.25)
Hagelin ($4)-Malkin ($9.5)-Kessel ($6.8)
Rust ($650k)-Fehr ($2)-Sprong ($925k)
Wilson ($625k)-Sundqvist ($800k)-Kuhnhackl ($625k)
XXXXXX-XXXXXX

Dumoulin ($3.75)-Letang ($7.25)
Maatta ($4)-XXXXXX
Cole ($2.1)-Schultz ($1.6)
Pouliot ($1)

Murray ($4)-XXXXXXX

That lineup costs $68.575 million, which would leave around $6.5 million to get a 2nd pair RD (which I actually think Pouliot might become, I think he breaks out this year), a backup goalie and 2 extra forwards. So they could probably make Marchand work. If Pouliot breaks out, he'll be looking at closer to $3 million I'd guess, but even then, they can get a backup goalie and 3 extra players for $3.5 million. If they can get someone like Guentzel to be able to take the 3C spot, that would help even more.

On the open market he gets 6 mil :laugh: try 7mill a yr at least ...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Well it'll depend on his season. Based on last seasons performance then yes hell get huge money. But if it proves to be just an outlier and he regresses back to his norm (25G/50pts) then I'd probably guess around the 6-6.5 mill range as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Did Eriksson, Ladd, Okposo, Lucic and others not get $6 million AAV or so deals? Why is Marchand going to get a million more than literally 7 other top line players :laugh:

I mean, come on. Eriksson had 30 goals and 63 points last year. Marchand had 37 goals and 60 point last year. Why is Eriksson only getting $6 million but Marchand will get over $7 million?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Money aside, the Flames would be a great fit IMO. Marchand with Bennett would be phenomenal or if he can play RW with Gaudreau and Monahan would be deadly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad