If Draisaitl refuses to sign an extension this summer, Should the Oilers trade him or ride it out and go All IN one more time.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Tough choice. My heart says to go all in since they were SO CLOSE this year.

And yet...

This last round seems to suggest they're in trouble when their two gamebreakers struggle. They can't cover up the deficiencies and have seemed outmatched for long stretches. When Crosby didn't score, at least Malkin did.

It completely depends on what is available, honestly. If you get a replacement top-6 center and a proven goalie, go for it. Otherwise, I would just stay put. The oilers NEED a good goalie, though... Saros? Ullmark? Someone like that.

EDIT:

It doesn't even have to be an elite goalie. Just someone nice and stable.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I think you trade him. You can’t allow to happen what the Islanders let happen to John Tavares (who dropped a lot of hints that he wanted to stay on the island but didn’t).

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Has there actually been any indication that Drai wants out other than baseless speculation?
No, but there's this though.

Which kinda takes the conversation in the other direction of how Edmonton allocates their cap when Bouchard, McDavid and Draisaitl eat 40% of the salary cap.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No, but there's this though.

Which kinda takes the conversation in the other direction of how Edmonton allocate their cap when Bouchard, McDavid and Draisaitl eat 40% of the salary cap.

Can these contract talks start before July 1, or can the two sides talk now and only the actually signing can occur July 1.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Trade him.

They would get some very good pieces, and could still be competitive next year. If they are competitive, it might entice McDavid to stay. If Draisaitl walks for nothing, McDavid is leaving (ie "all in" virtually guarantees losing both of them).

If they trade Draisaitl, and it's clear McDavid also wants to leave a year from now, then they can trade him too.

Gives them a shot next year, and either way, helps them longterm either via Draisaitl's trade return + McDavid locked up, or Draisaitl + McDavid's combined trade returns.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Trade him.

They would get some very good pieces, and could still be competitive next year. If they are competitive, it might entice McDavid to stay. If Draisaitl walks for nothing, McDavid is leaving (ie "all in" virtually guarantees losing both of them).

If they trade Draisaitl, and it's clear McDavid also wants to leave a year from now, then they can trade him too.

Gives them a shot next year, and either way, helps them longterm either via Draisaitl's trade return + McDavid locked up, or Draisaitl + McDavid's combined trade returns.
If the Oilers traded Draisatl then McDavid would very likely not want to stay. So he’d be traded too. And that means a year it down rebuild. The Oilers aren’t heading down that road so Drsisatl will get a huge extension. 13.5 x 8 enough?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Florida obviously learned some lessons and look posed to win a Cup. No reason Edmonton can't be next. You tweak but keep the core together. Draisaitl is a top 5 forward in the league, I wouldn't give up on that when if I have a team that made it to the finals.

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I like this prop for edmonton. Maybe not great for boston? This would fill 2 huge holes that the oilers have
Boston would fill their hole at 1C, they run Draisaitl + Pasta for the next 7-8 years maybe longer. Gotta give to get, they still have Swayman in net, and even though Nurse is overpaid he's not as horrible as people are making him out to be. His problem is, he's not worth 9m, but I genuinely don't think he's a bad player. At 6M you don't mind him, so you take on a bad contract (cap expected to rise) but he's still a serviceable player + you get one of the best players in the world, who I think immediately fits in Boston.

Just my take on it. Edmonton gets their G for the next 4-5 years + a stud on the blue line, Boston gets their 1C

Reactions: hurdemz

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
With their road to the finals plus the fashion they lost in. I would have a hard time saying no shame. They were pretty well gifted a SCF appearance. Toss away first round. Key injuries to the next two opponents and completely folded in the finals.

Of course you would, you're a Toronto fan with extreme bias

If you want to talk about shame look at your stupid team

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Boston would fill their hole at 1C, they run Draisaitl + Pasta for the next 7-8 years maybe longer. Gotta give to get, they still have Swayman in net, and even though Nurse is overpaid he's not as horrible as people are making him out to be. His problem is, he's not worth 9m, but I genuinely don't think he's a bad player. At 6M you don't mind him, so you take on a bad contract (cap expected to rise) but he's still a serviceable player + you get one of the best players in the world, who I think immediately fits in Boston.

Just my take on it. Edmonton gets their G for the next 4-5 years + a stud on the blue line, Boston gets their 1C
Agree with this. This helps both teams get better and fill weaknesses

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Literally the only thing I can come up with wrong with your proposal is that Boston might be confident they could get him for free as a UFA

Otherwise it’s a trade that makes both teams better imo

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Buyers remorse will come out for whatever team takes him away from McDavid. There is a reason he doesn’t produce to the same level while away from him.
Are there any players who wouldn't produce less playing away from McDavid than with him?

With their road to the finals plus the fashion they lost in. I would have a hard time saying no shame. They were pretty well gifted a SCF appearance. Toss away first round. Key injuries to the next two opponents and completely folded in the finals.
Your brain must be exhausted.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
All I'm saying is

1718474526557.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad