If Draisaitl refuses to sign an extension this summer, Should the Oilers trade him or ride it out and go All IN one more time.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Ride him till the end unless you get great players that can help you win right now, draft pick/prospects are worthless for a guy like that

Reactions: gary69

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Depends on the return. Oilers are in an awkward situation. I think they need to try and dump Nurse + Campbell asap, you don't just try and move on from Drai. If they can't dump them, then unfortunately I think they gotta trade Drai, if he doesn't sign an extension.

That Nurse contract is really killing them, it's so bad you gotta add like multiple firsts to get rid of it. Like you trade Drai, and risk McDavid wanting out if the team isn't competitive.

The thing with Drai is, his contract makes him insanely valuable. So they could potentially get an absolute haul from him. Or maybe package Nurse with him.

Maybe something with Boston ? Draisaitl + Nurse for McAvoy + Ullmark, maybe a Draisaitl sign and trade or if it's as a pending UFA Edmonton has to add a bit to make up for that Nurse contract.

Edmonton loses offence but adds a legitimate top pairing D + 1G
I like this prop for edmonton. Maybe not great for boston? This would fill 2 huge holes that the oilers have

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
God I hope isn’t Montreal isnt the sucker that gets this top 3 player in the NHL, that would be sooo awful
Buyers remorse will come out for whatever team takes him away from McDavid. There is a reason he doesn’t produce to the same level while away from him.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It’s never been disproven. In fact it’s constantly proven

I kind of inferred something you didn't say, which is on me.

It's been disproven that he's some 'shadow of himself' away from McDavid. His stats go down, but it's not significant and he's still a top-10 forward in the NHL away from McDavid. Anyone's stats would go down away from McDavid, so it's kind of a meaningless thing to say.

To suggest there'd be buyers remorse is a stretch at best.

Either way - I was still wrong for assuming you said something you didn't. I'll take the L.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In a vacuum, yes. However, McDavid is up in two years. How do you think he feels about taking back a step because of "asset management"?
Nobody is above the team, not even McDavid. If Draisaitl is unhappy then there's no room for him on the team anymore, no need to drag it out over the season with that big elephant in the room looming over the team plus the best move for the TEAM would be to extract some value from the asset rather than lose him for nothing. If McDavid is unhappy with those events then he should start by wondering why his friend wants out.
Calgary got good value for Tkachuk, don't see why the Oilers couldn't do the same for Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad