OT: If Brian Burke was still GM, what do you think he would have done this off-season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Personally I think luongo was a nonis guy not Burke maybe burkes refusal to trade for him got him fired

Then why didn't Nonis trade for Luongo when he was given control of that situation?.

Since he didn't acquire Luongo, it suggests the opposite actually, because the only thing we can't confirm is what Burke would have done on this topic. We know what Nonis did ..

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Well this will be a good breeding ground for mindless bashing. Probably virtually identical considering Nonis was a pretty major cog in the management team when Burke was at the helm. Burke wasn't going to trade for Luongo.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I don't know. But I doubt our top 9 would look like this:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Ashton/D'amigo-Bolland-Kuli

Nonis has gone out and gotten us a real 3rd line center (instead of a 5.5M$ Grabo) and replaced Grabo's overpaid contract with an overpaid PWF top six RW that can score. Im pretty happy, we have 2 lines that are both a threat to score 60+ goals, a 3rd line that can play some serious shutdown hockey and multiple players that will improve the teams overall toughness.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
First off, Nonnis hasn't done anything Burke might not have done,so far.

But I think he would have chased down Vinny just go get that 1C over and done with. Get one or not get one but lose. Nonnis made some big changes and spent some big $$$(Grabo.), he is on his own hot seat now. If he losses, no one will blame Burke and they will say he would have gotten the number one C. Personally,I think Nonnis went overboard on Clarkson. Burke might have gone for Vinny.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
What a pointless thread. We have no idea realistically but that wont stop his fans and detractors from using this as an opportunity to talk him down or build him up.

If they didnt like Burke and do like Nonis's move of course he wouldn't have done them and so on.

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
I think the shortened season stopped nonis from trading for luongo and went with reimer

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
i think he does Clarkson anyway at that price, doesn't trade for Bernier, keeps Grabovski and lets Bozak leave. he also brings in a vet goalie FA to back up Reimer (who would enter next season as the clear #1) and looks to trade for another D (something like current D/Scrivens/2nd for a D upgrade)

leafstilldeath*

One thing is for DAMN sure if Burke were still here we would have had a strong "D" trade especially after what happened in the playoffs.

Also for people saying Kadri would be traded um how about NO! Kadri is Burke's draft, Kadri played much better than expected and Burke did not want Luongo.

Also, Clarkson would never be the leaf with the term and dollars spent. Grabo probably is still on the leaf (since Burke signed extension), Bozak would have walked or would have signed to a lower term and dollars.

Burke would have traded for a 1C or would have gotten us at least 1B this time around given the cap pressures on other teams. My guess is Ribs would be a leaf.

Negatives: Komi probably would still have been a leaf.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
That is what worries me about Nonnis...

He almost made that stupid Luongo trade and he would be screwed right now. I wasn't A Burkie but I doubt he makes that trade,very much.The Bolland trade reeks of Carlyle. Nonnis seemed to be insane for Clarkson. But we still have holes and now some cap issue,plus when some of our guys walk,we are a little thin(prospects) now. Nonnis is trying to win it all now.

Apr 1, 2010
Oh yeah I remember that ever important cog in the wheel of TML's success..the character guy who was tough to play against and created space for his linemates. That Colby Armstrong who proved his worth by looking at the Leafs record with him in the lineup..oh yeah him..that guy who was so well liked by his teammates and the fanbase. The funny guy who really had some great tweets...

That Colby Armstrong who was signed by the Habs and stunk just as bad as he did with the Leafs and previous to that the Thrashers and Pens. That guy who the fathead brought on board and severely over paid?

No that name doesn't ring a bell.. Can we already forget about both Mr. Armstrong and more importantly that self important over rated loudmouth who got his ass canned because he thought he was bigger than the team, the franchise, the city, the entire hockey world?Oh boy Toronto really misses that dumb-a$$
LMAO

Once again those that didn't want him, based it on personal feelings towards the man.

I'll thank him for JVR, and KAdri, and Kessel(that trade sure looks A+ now lol) and Phaneuf, and Gardiner, and Franson, and Lupul, and I hope to be thanking him for choosing Rielly one day.

But hey we could always have kept stajan, Antropov and poni.

leafstilldeath*

LMAO

Once again those that didn't want him, based it on personal feelings towards the man.

I'll thank him for JVR, and KAdri, and Kessel(that trade sure looks A+ now lol) and Phaneuf, and Gardiner, and Franson, and I hope to be thanking him for choosing Rielly one day.

This gives me the shivers and cold sweat

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Kessel can still walk.

LMAO

I'll thank him for JVR, and KAdri, and Kessel(that trade sure looks A+ now lol) and Phaneuf, and Gardiner, and Franson, and I hope to be thanking him for choosing Rielly one day.

Loui Ericksson is a good hockey player and Hamilton may still be a number 2 dman. Franson will want huge money we can't afford and Phanueff(who really knows). Philly wanted Schenn and overpaid,true.The team Burke built will implode in one year,if we don't win a cup,who cares?

leafstilldeath*

I miss Burke, I am having a hard time dealing with the Leafs having top tier management.

Howdy Sens fan. How is your captain? o riigghhtttt....never mind :naughty:

Btw bobby ryan is walking after his contract is done

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
He would probably of traded for Luongo. Then resign Bozak before the deadline so he knew he wouldn't lose him for nothing (possibly for more money at less term). With Luongo onboard, he likely wouldn't have the cap flexibility to even consider signing Clarkson and likely would of just kept Grabovsky while rounding up the bottom lines with more veteran type free agents with smaller cap hits.

We would likely be down Gardiner + 1st + Kadri (in the Luongo deal) and be right up to the Cap with Luongo, Grabovsky, Phaneuf and Kessel locked in as the core group for the next few years.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
I think he would have

There's been rumours of Bernier to the Leafs for at least a couple of seasons

Not if he was trying to save his job he wouldn't. Not for an unproven goalie.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He would have brought in a couple of US college players, taken back some lame contracts for 4th round picks.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
A little disappointed to not have Burke around for this particular offseason given his penchant for bending people over when opportunity presents itself. Hard to imagine he wouldn't have pulled one or two crazy trades out of his hat in the given market. Certainly wonder whether Ryan would have been here.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Burke would have done everything Nonis has done

What about winning? :sarcasm:

Seemed to have a bit of a problem with that here in Toronto....

Brian Burke

136-144-48 (.488 points percentage)

506de84345458a352b7f5d5ce8dc.jpeg

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
A little disappointed to not have Burke around for this particular offseason given his penchant for bending people over when opportunity presents itself. Hard to imagine he wouldn't have pulled one or two crazy trades out of his hat in the given market. Certainly wonder whether Ryan would have been here.

So he would have bent Grabo over with a buyout after Grabo bent him over the previous off-season?

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad