Post-Game Talk: Ice Pigeon

3 Stars

• Total voters

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Pens actually produced a decent amount of chances, but based on my eye test, and period-by-period reporting from NST, they were all early.

We basically just ragdolled them halfway through the first to the end of the game. They did absolutely nothing and we put up almost 6 xG.

Think the 81-19 from MoneyPuck is actually underselling it. That was an ASS WHOOPIN'.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Just need a few more votes for Igor to get it to 88%

Pretty satisfying result to wake up to
giphy.gif
This kind of satisfying?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Solid win after the first 10 minutes. But the game did have a opening night Penguins delay, so maybe they were just standing around cold.. Either way, too many good chances early in the game but we bounced back after that.

Edstrom seemed to be letting his teammates do most of the work early on in the game. Maybe because he's the rookie on the team, but we saw him take more control in preseason. This is just 1 game so hopefully he doesn't feel like a complimentary piece on that line where the other 2 should have the puck more.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trouba snow angels in the Dzone are a fact of life at this point but if he can actually get shots through this year, his underlying numbers are going to look a lot more manageable. I give him credit for not making a scene regarding the offseason rumors.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trouba snow angels in the Dzone are a fact of life at this point but if he can actually get shots through this year, his underlying numbers are going to look a lot more manageable. I give him credit for not making a scene regarding the offseason rumors.
His shot has always been the ignored portion of his game but it’s always been a good one except when he’s on the pp.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
His shot has always been the ignored portion of his game but it’s always been a good one except when he’s on the pp.

Agreed, we just havent seen it enough. He's been really miscast as a defensive defenseman for this team imo. Hopefully with better health and some added motivation he can have a solid season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He could never defend but he used to be a very good offensive play-driver. I'd like to see him and Miller stay apart as much as possible. I think they make each other worse. It's just not a fit for me.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The Pens actually produced a decent amount of chances, but based on my eye test, and period-by-period reporting from NST, they were all early.

We basically just ragdolled them halfway through the first to the end of the game. They did absolutely nothing and we put up almost 6 xG.

Think the 81-19 from MoneyPuck is actually underselling it. That was an ASS WHOOPIN'.

GM Drury needs to fire himself for having a hand in bringing in David Quinn. Then President Drury can rehire Drury once the point has been made.

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
He could never defend but he used to be a very good offensive play-driver. I'd like to see him and Miller stay apart as much as possible. I think they make each other worse. It's just not a fit for me.
Speaking of Miller - does anyone have any comments on our new top pairing? How did they look together? How was their D coverage? Breakouts?

MH - any advanced stats from the game for Fox/Miller?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I’d be more than fine with Lindgren sitting out the year to preserve his body.

This is a better team without him.
#SomeThingsAreBiggerThanSports

Totally agree. Feel like we've been playing that chord for years now.

Reactions: Machinehead

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
4th line looked great. Carrick can be a real plus if he chips in some goals on top of the grit - I was a Barclay fan but this is exactly why he can replaced.

Edstrom is developing really well, looks very comfortable right now.

Carrick is mean and nasty, good on face-offs, kills penalties and he's fought most of the toughest players in the league at least once......which isn't to say that he wins a lot but he's smaller than most of them. To me a guy like that could take some of the pressure off of Rempe to be doing it too much. Goodrow did a lot of the same stuff but his contract was too much.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Carrick is mean and nasty, good on face-offs, kills penalties and he's fought most of the toughest players in the league at least once......which isn't to say that he wins a lot but he's smaller than most of them. To me a guy like that could take some of the pressure off of Rempe to be doing it too much. Goodrow did a lot of the same stuff but his contract was too much.

Carrick looks like pre-broken ankle in 2021 Goodrow for a quarter of the price.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Looking at the Pens D. Letang and Karlsson are both kind of old and have never been defensive stalwarts. Graves hasn't been the same since he left Colorado. Grzelyck is small and again not a great defensive guy. That leaves Pettersson and when he makes plays like he did against Lafreniere that's not great and St. Ivany who pretty much gifted us the Trocheck goal. There's good offense from this group but it's not great at defending in their own zone. When the Rangers got going they lost the thread completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad