Post-Game Talk: Ice Pigeon

3 Stars

• Total voters

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Speaking of Miller - does anyone have any comments on our new top pairing? How did they look together? How was their D coverage? Breakouts?

MH - any advanced stats from the game for Fox/Miller?
Their shares when they were together:

Shot attempts: 56% Rangers
Shots on goal: 68% Rangers
Goals: 100% Rangers (of course)
Expected goals: 70% Rangers

They let the Penguins have some yee yee ass shots but totally controlled the quality.

They also scored super high on Dom's Game Score posted here:

Roster Building Thread - Part XII

When one whole team basically nukes the other whole team, it's hard to extrapolate individual performance, but your top pair plays a lot, so they have to be contributing to it.

Look who else is up there in the game score. So far, it looks like a good change for both pairs.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Looking at the Pens D. Letang and Karlsson are both kind of old and have never been defensive stalwarts. Graves hasn't been the same since he left Colorado. Grzelyck is small and again not a great defensive guy. That leaves Pettersson and when he makes plays like he did against Lafreniere that's not great and St. Ivany who pretty much gifted us the Trocheck goal. There's good offense from this group but it's not great at defending in their own zone. When the Rangers got going they lost the thread completely.

Pettersson probably sees Laf in his nightmares between that goal and the helmet incident in Game 7.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pettersson probably sees Laf in his nightmares between that goal and the helmet incident in Game 7.

It looked to me like Pettersson could have taken Lafreniere's space away by just attacking him but he backed off and then left his feet and Alexis has good hands---he can toe drag and shoot off that move right away and I think Jarry was both surprised and not ready for the shot.

Other than the first several minutes the Rangers looked really good. Igor for all the slamming he's taken the last few days was outstanding.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Looking at the Pens D. Letang and Karlsson are both kind of old and have never been defensive stalwarts. Graves hasn't been the same since he left Colorado. Grzelyck is small and again not a great defensive guy. That leaves Pettersson and when he makes plays like he did against Lafreniere that's not great and St. Ivany who pretty much gifted us the Trocheck goal. There's good offense from this group but it's not great at defending in their own zone. When the Rangers got going they lost the thread completely.
This is what happens when you only use Corsi to build a D-core ***ducks from incoming comments***

Karlsson is the paragon of having great possession numbers more than negated by ceding goals at a higher rate whenever his team doesn't have the puck. One of the reasons why his teams are never very good.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
HFDevils on Rangers game 1: Igor bailed them out.

Gotta give it to the losers from Jersey. They are in mid season form. Impressive.
There's a weird thing with some fans where if they see a goalie have to make any tough saves then it's the goalie bailing his team out. As if the two things are mutually exclusive.

Instead of realizing that even "bad" teams in the league are still very talented and it's hockey at the end of the day which is an inherently random sport - even terrible teams are going to be able to get some chances against great teams.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It looked to me like Pettersson could have taken Lafreniere's space away by just attacking him but he backed off and then left his feet and Alexis has good hands---he can toe drag and shoot off that move right away and I think Jarry was both surprised and not ready for the shot.

Other than the first several minutes the Rangers looked really good. Igor for all the slamming he's taken the last few days was outstanding.
I don't honestly know what Pettersson was thinking. I thought at first he was trying to play it like a 2 on 1 without seeing he had some help coming with the Rangers forwards, but he just kind of got himself lost and then took himself out of the play for no reason.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

BlueShirtGal

True Blue Kitty
May 19, 2014
Federal Way, WA
😂😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpeg
    IMG_0411.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 1

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Kreider in mid season form gets 2 on the opener. 30 Goals away from Jean Ratelle.
Lafreniere looks like a seasoned veteran oozing confidence.
Chytil looks and plays bigger then then he did before the concussions. He's got some swagger.
3rd line is emerging and if they continue to keep that play up that is one of the X factors the club needs to get r done
Igor was money when he needed to be which was early on when some grade A scoring chances were given up.
Trouba got off to the best start he possible could have. Blocked 5 Shots, Contributed with 2 helpers. Led all Dmen in shots on net.

Take this exact team. Replace Zibanejad with Sidney Crosby. Hmmmmm!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
3rd line is emerging and if they continue to keep that play up that is one of the X factors the club needs to get r done
100%

That 3rd line I think has the potential of being a "2nd line" of a good, even a contending team. Chytil and Kakko have the skill to do it. So if they really step up, it will go a long way of alleviating our issues with out #1C.

Maybe it's homer glasses, but I really don't see how many teams have a 3rd line with such potential.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
K
100%

That 3rd line I think has the potential of being a "2nd line" of a good, even a contending team. Chytil and Kakko have the skill to do it. So if they really step up, it will go a long way of alleviating our issues with out #1C.

Maybe it's homer glasses, but I really don't see how many teams have a 3rd line with such potential.
they got a lot of even strength time. It was Panarin line, then the chytil line, in terms of ice time.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
100%

most people on this board see Kakko as having no skill, no effectiveness, and no utility.

see Machinehead, RangersFan1994, and a host of others

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
There's a weird thing with some fans where if they see a goalie have to make any tough saves then it's the goalie bailing his team out. As if the two things are mutually exclusive.

Instead of realizing that even "bad" teams in the league are still very talented and it's hockey at the end of the day which is an inherently random sport - even terrible teams are going to be able to get some chances against great teams.
Also, last I checked the goalie was part of the team. It's not like the win is illegitimate if great goaltending was an aspect of it.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
More of an Xs and Os type of view to see play development for hockey nerds
Really impressive information technology here if it's not done manually. It's astounding how clear it is to see the play from this simulator.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
My man Kakko had 5 shots on goal in a 6-0 blowout and still didn't get on the scoresheet :ha:

It's all good. The Mets are just hogging all the magic right now. Let's go, Mets go.
Kakko was very good. Robbed of an assist and probably should have shot on the breakaway but if he keeps playing that way, good things are coming for that 3rd (please Chytil stay healthy)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad