Confirmed with Link: Ian Clarke Changing Roles / Marko Torenius Promoted

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Per DHALIWAL on twitter. Says there’s rumblings he’s changing roles and the ahl goalie coach will be taking over.

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that Development Coach and Goaltending Coach of the Abbotsford Canucks Marko Torenius, has been promoted to Goaltending Coach of the Vancouver Canucks.

Current Head Goalie Coach and Director of Goaltending Ian Clark asked for a new position with the team and will now work as a goalie scout and goaltending development coach.

Last edited:

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Pay him more. He's not that old.

Maybe he's overrated. Or maybe the era of elite goaltending in Vancouver is coming to an end. I really don't want to find out.

Has a goaltender ever not improved after meeting Ian Clarke ?

Reactions: Indiana

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
IMG_1276.gif

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Huh, switching roles. Wonder if he's going to be involved in talent evaluation or some sort of more indirect role.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Maybe he's overrated. Or maybe the era of elite goaltending in Vancouver is coming to an end. I really don't want to find out.

Didn't he recently sign a 5 year deal?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

he signed a five-year deal last year

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Unless something happened family related, you don’t just switch roles after signing a, five-year extension as a goalie coach

No that's a bit weird, for sure. But I could see him taking more of an off-ice role involving goalie evaluation ... which has obviously been pretty good for a while. Maybe he just doesn't want to do the day-to-day work anymore.

Reactions: Indiana and andora

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Per Canucks:

“When Ian approached me to say that he needed to make a change in his role to transition off the ice, we quickly went to work to find a solution,” said Allvin. “With Clarkie wanting something different at the hockey club, we were extremely fortunate to have Marko in the system and ready to take on the responsibility of becoming our new goaltending coach in Vancouver. Unfortunately, Ian can no longer go on the ice regularly to do the things that have made him successful. But this new role will fit with his expertise and having Clarkie going out to find and develop talent will be a big asset to the organization.”

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that Development Coach and Goaltending Coach of the Abbotsford Canucks Marko Torenius, has been promoted to Goaltending Coach of the Vancouver Canucks.

Current Head Goalie Coach and Director of Goaltending Ian Clark asked for a new position with the team and will now work as a goalie scout and goaltending development coach.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Could be a higher level position like “Director of Goaltending” like Sean Burke has.

There was A LOT of talk from Rutherford, Allvin, and Tocchet about finding ways to keep goalies healthy and change between game habits.

That would be my bet. As mentioned, sounds like he's just stepping back from the on-ice, day-to-day stuff. Sounds like scouting and goalie development, which is fine.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Just sounds like he's transitioning into more of a "retirement" role. Guy deserves it. Hopefully it doesn't have too big an impact on our goaltending development.

He's very involved in his kids' life in the LM. One of his sons is playing competitive junior hockey, and their family billeted a young man I used to coach last year. He's almost 60, apparently doesn't want to/cannot be on the ice as much anymore according to Allvin, and segueing into a bit more of a retirement gig makes a lot of sense when considering all of that.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Per Canucks:

“When Ian approached me to say that he needed to make a change in his role to transition off the ice, we quickly went to work to find a solution,” said Allvin. “With Clarkie wanting something different at the hockey club, we were extremely fortunate to have Marko in the system and ready to take on the responsibility of becoming our new goaltending coach in Vancouver. Unfortunately, Ian can no longer go on the ice regularly to do the things that have made him successful. But this new role will fit with his expertise and having Clarkie going out to find and develop talent will be a big asset to the organization.”

This sounds more like he just physically isn't able to keep up with the needs of being a goaltending coach on ice.

I would assume a goaltending coach would be a lot more physically involved than a regular coiach considering the need to demonstrate proper techniques for goalies. I'd imagine at a certain age, your knees and hips just can't do butterflies anymore on a constant basis.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He's very involved in his kids' life in the LM. One of his sons is playing competitive junior hockey, and their family billeted a young man I used to coach last year. He's almost 60, apparently doesn't want to/cannot be on the ice as much anymore according to Allvin, and segueing into a bit more of a retirement gig makes a lot of sense when considering all of that.

It's one of those announcements that seems massive and concerning when taken in with the other behind-the-scenes changes but this really reads like Clarke wants to step back and for health and family reasons. He's still under contract for two more seasons. Of course the people that feed on negativity on twitter are frothing at the mouth over this.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's one of those announcements that seems massive and concerning when taken in with the other behind-the-scenes changes but this really reads like Clarke wants to step back and for health and family reasons. He's still under contract for two more seasons. Of course the people that feed on negativity on twitter are frothing at the mouth over this.

Drance: "Demko holding out of camp and now Ian Clark moving on....The organization is in complete disarray"

Seravalli: "The Vancouver Canucks punt lovable goaltending coach to the curb. Classless organization and miserable Vancouver fans don't appreciate hardworking Canadians."

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Part of aging. As you get into your 60's, 70's, and beyond, body isn't the same. Pro athletes have put a lot more stress on their bones/joints than regular people. If his hips, knees, groin are bothering him in demonstrating the techniques, then he's wise to step away from that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad