Value of: I think David Savard will get a 1st at the deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's going to be awful, and that team is going to be stupid. But I think it's going to happen.
Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 10.37.07 PM.png

Here are all potential UFA RD for next season.

It's ugly out there.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Avs44

May 16, 2011
An observation I had made.

Also just a general point about the rental RHD market this coming season. It will be pricey
Fair enough...but it's peak HF that it's July 1, the first day of free agency, and someone is trying to spark a debate about a trade deadline 9 months away...when we also have literally zero evidence of how any of these RHD are going to perform in 2024. So, the ultimate purpose of this thread is to predict how a 33 year old, 34 by the deadline, is going to perform over the course of next season and how he will maintain his value over the course of a season where lots of players his age fall off...?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah no.

Savard was rented out for a late 1st by Tampa when he was 30, and he didn't play well enough. He's well past his prime and Habs fans shouldn't get their expectations up about what he'll return when he's 34 and even older.

Demigod Gloves

Oct 1, 2017
Edmonton lost the cup because of the poor play displayed by ceci and nurse imo, having a warrior like savard in the playoffs to log big minutes and rest stars like Bouchard is a major need for them, if the new gm is smart they will pay a 1st easy.

Thats just one team of the top of my head that will be looking for a big mean rh D at the deadline, so yeah I think one gm will get desperate and pay up.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't know if he'll get a 1st, but I'm not sure he'll be moved either.

Its apparently really important to him that his family grows up in a French language environment and Montreal's management seems to like him. I think if offers don't get in the 1st or comparable range, Montreal would just re-sign him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You're probably right. There is a severe shortage on right shot defensemen. When you consider the guys available next summer, it's quite possible that a number of them re-up before free agency event begins - I wouldn't be shocked if Larsson and Pionk are both extended, and Burns and Ekblad aren't likely to be available for futures at the deadline, so it really is only a handful of guys like Savard, Ceci, Borgen and an aging Petry that could be available. We'll see how Savard plays this season.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think if Edmonton swapped Ceci for Savard that might have been the nudge they needed to beat Florida. If he plays as well as he did this season he could flirt with a 1st but I think a 2nd and a conditional 3rd/4th is more likely

I don't know if he'll get a 1st, but I'm not sure he'll be moved either.

Its apparently really important to him that his family grows up in a French language environment and Montreal's management seems to like him. I think if offers don't get in the 1st or comparable range, Montreal would just re-sign him.
I could also see them trading him at the deadline with a handshake agreement for a 2 year deal if he wants to come back

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You're probably right. There is a severe shortage on right shot defensemen. When you consider the guys available next summer, it's quite possible that a number of them re-up before free agency event begins - I wouldn't be shocked if Larsson and Pionk are both extended, and Burns and Ekblad aren't likely to be available for futures at the deadline, so it really is only a handful of guys like Savard, Ceci, Borgen and an aging Petry that could be available. We'll see how Savard plays this season.
I could some teams paying HEFTY prices for chychrun type RD with bargain term, and paying pretty pennies for long term retention.

But if it's just rentals, its gonna get ugly, and some frankly dogshit dmen are going to get some ridiculous returns

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Edmonton lost the cup because of the poor play displayed by ceci and nurse imo, having a warrior like savard in the playoffs to log big minutes and rest stars like Bouchard is a major need for them, if the new gm is smart they will pay a 1st easy.

Thats just one team of the top of my head that will be looking for a big mean rh D at the deadline, so yeah I think one gm will get desperate and pay up.
Savard is awful.

A team will pay for him. They certainly will not be smart for doing so. A smart team would address RD in advance (every team in need of a RD who passed on John Marino at 4.4 mill are morons), instead of waiting until desperation mode with no options.

But a team will do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad