Horse Racing: I. Ortiz/B. Cox/Godolphin/Into Mischief top 2023; J. Rodriguez/B. Russell win Laurel titles on final day; L. Rice sets NYRA record for wins in a year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Friday, September 29, 2023

Jockey Injuries:
  • Luis Saez, who prior to injury was in the mix for a finalist as Jockey of the Year, is scheduled to return this week when Keeneland opens. He last rode August 23. He is currently 5th in wins and 4th in purse money in North America this year.
  • Rico Walcott suffered a broken collarbone Thursday at Woodbine and will be replaced by Rocco Bowen, who is currently riding at Thistledown (OH) and will have his first lifetime mount at Woodbine, for Sunday's $400,000 Breeders' Stakes which is the third leg of the Canadian Triple Crown.
Canceled:
  • New York and New Jersey: Belmont at Aqueduct (NY) and Meadowlands (NJ). Heavy rains and localized flooding. Both tracks announced Saturday's card had been canceled as well. NYRA stated that Saturday's card would be transferred to Sunday. Sunday's card would be transferred to Wednesday which was previously a dark day.

Off-the-Turf:
  • Three Tracks removed turf racing: Laurel (MD), Delaware (DE) and Belterra (OH).
Laurel (Maryland):
  • Opening Day: The current meet ends December 31. Laurel runs its various meets until Pimlico returns in May 2024.
  • Jevian Toledo rode three winners on four mounts.
1696066552639.png
  • Brittany Russell had a 3-win day with a victory also at Delaware. She finished 7 3-2-1 including 5 2-2-1 at Laurel.
Churchill Downs (Kentucky):
  • Closing Day: October 1. Onto Keeneland's popular Fall meet. Kentucky's racing for the balance of 2023:
    • Keeneland:10/6/2023-10/28/2023
    • Churchill: 10/29/2023-11/26/2023
    • Turfway: 11/29/2023-12/31/2023
  • Tyler Gaffalione rode the 10-race card and finished 10 3-2-0. He had a natural hat trick beginning with race 6 winning for three different trainers. The 3-win day solidified another Kentucky riding title for the jockey. His 22 victories are more than double his closest challenger. Gaffalione is one of just three riders with 200+ wins in North America this year and his $22 million in purse money is second only to Irad Ortiz, Jr. Gaffalione deserves attention for one of the three finalists as Eclipse Jockey of the Year. Gaffalione is as good a diplomat as anyone for this sport.

Santa Anita (California):
  • Opening Day: Santa Anita runs into their hosting the Breeders' Cup weekend. The meet runs 9/29/2023-11/5/2023.
1696067574760.png

1696066728345.png
  • Juan Hernandez won the first two races en route to a 3-win day.
  • Race 8: Kirstenbosch (Hector Berrios/John Sadler) won the Grade 3 $100,000 Chillingworth Stakes.

Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Sahin Civaci had a natural hat trick beginning with race 2.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Suspensions of note:

Riders:

Paco Lopez, one of the most aggressive riders, was issued 30 days by Parx for failing to maintain a standard of riding (trying to the end) after he was passed for second place in a Grade 3 on Saturday by an 84-to-1 shot. People who played the bomb for second were most appreciative.

Axel Concepcion, who may very well be a leading contender for Apprentice of the Year, was also suspended 30 days for an overly aggressive ride at Delaware. The suspension was reduced to 21 days. He is 18 years of age.

Trainer:

Linda Rice is in hot water again. She got a 14 day suspension for a bute positive and she is to appear in front of the NY Gaming Commission for another matter.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
New York will cancel tomorrow. Sunday is on schedule but likely with Saturday's card.

Wednesday, a dark day, will now run and likely with Sunday's card.

UPDATE:

This is now Sunday's card at Aqueduct:
RacePurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
1$75,000Maiden Special Weight6 FTurf1612:05 PM ET
2$90,000Maiden Special Weight6 FDirt1312:36 PM ET
3$250,000Vosburgh S.7 FDirt61:09 PM ET
4$102,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MDirt81:38 PM ET
5$250,000Gallant Bloom S.6 1/2 FDirt62:09 PM ET
6$500,000Joe Hirsch Turf Classic S.1 1/2 MTurf92:40 PM ET
7$400,000Woodward S.1 1/8 MDirt103:11 PM ET
8$80,000Allowance7 FDirt93:42 PM ET
9$90,000Maiden Special Weight1 1/16 MTurf164:15 PM ET
10$80,000Allowance1 1/16 MTurf164:46 PM ET
11$38,000Maiden Claiming6 FDirt115:17 PM ET

This card was to be run on Sunday but is now Wednesday's card at Aqueduct:

1$38,000Maiden Claiming6 FDirt91:05 PM ET
2$62,000Claiming6 FDirt81:36 PM ET
3$85,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MDirt72:09 PM ET
4$102,000Allowance Optional Claiming7 FDirt72:38 PM ET
5$200,000Miss Grillo S.1 1/16 MTurf123:10 PM ET
6$28,000Claiming1 MDirt103:42 PM ET
7$200,000Pilgrim S.1 1/16 MTurf94:14 PM ET
8$102,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 1/8 MDirt84:49 PM ET
9$100,000Allowance1 MTurf145:21 PM ET
10$75,000Maiden Special Weight6 FTurf165:53 PM ET

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1696068474208.png

If Laurel (MD) remains on-the-turf today, the card could be the best option on the east coast for turf players.

1$52,000Maiden Special Weight6 FDirt812:25 PM ET
2$28,000Claiming1 1/16 MTurf1612:58 PM ET
3$40,000Starter Optional ClaimingAbout 1 1/16 MDirt81:31 PM ET
4$36,000Maiden Claiming1 1/16 MTurf152:03 PM ET
5$48,000Allowance7 FDirt92:34 PM ET
6$150,000Selima S.1 1/16 MTurf103:05 PM ET
7$62,000Allowance Optional Claiming7 FDirt93:36 PM ET
8$100,000Japan Turf Cup S.1 1/2 MTurf154:07 PM ET
9$100,000Twixt S.About 1 1/16 MDirt94:38 PM ET
10$150,000Laurel Futurity1 1/16 MTurf165:10 PM ET
11$44,000Maiden Claiming7 FDirt95:42 PM ET

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The expected ominous news for Maryland was hinted at a meeting with the Racing Authority yesterday. The Stronach Group -- aka (1/St) -- is suggesting a reduction for race days in the state and even taking a break during summer months. Oddly, the regional desire seems to include Colonial Downs, owned by Churchill Downs, due to the track's resurgence in the past couple or so years from life support. The purses there have been magnetic for connections.

Both Laurel and Pimlico are in need of repairs. Both structures are old but Pimlico seems to have the support of politicians because of revitalizing Baltimore and also the history of the Preakness is a boost. If Pimlico becomes the only track in the state -- excluding Timonium as the fair meet around Labor Day -- then the need would be to have a training track and that could be Laurel's future. How sad.

During the meeting, comparisons were made to the baseball (Orioles) and football (Ravens) teams. Stronach's timing with the expected closing of Golden Gate next year worsens the feeling. They are actually going to take Laurel from me!

October 6 is the next meeting.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Change of plans for New York. Now off-the-turf for Sunday and the Joe Hirsch (race 6) will be run October 7. Obviously that means other changes to come

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday, September 30, 2023
  • Brad Cox sent out three horses -- two at Churchill and one at Laurel -- and each returned winners.
Belmont at Aqueduct (New York):
  • Canceled: Due to heavy rains earlier in the week.
  • Sunday: Saturday's card has been transferred to the following day but will be run off-the-turf and race 6 will not be run.
Laurel (Maryland):
  • Card: Excellent card with three stakes and four races with purses $100,000 or more.
  • Handle: $5.5 million. Much turf racing held interests.
  • Interviews: Charlie Marquez and Joe Rocco, Jr. were among winning riders interviewed following their wins and both impressed with their communication skills. Marquez was my pick to win Apprentice of the Year when Jessica Pyfer was selected three years ago. Yesterday, she announced her retirement from riding to take a studio broadcasting job at Santa Anita.
  • Forest Boyce won three times, all within the first five races. She is a Maryland-native.
  • Jeiron Barbosa won three times. He has now slowed since losing his bug.
  • Race 5: The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $61,000.
  • Race 9: Interstatedaydream (Sheldon Russell/Brad Cox) was a 4-5 morning line sent off at 1-to-5 in winning the $100,000 Twixt Stakes. The Ontario-bred has earned over $700,000 in 13 races. A rare showing for Cox in Maryland. Russell had competing interests as his wife had a horse in the race as well.
  • Race 10: Air Recruit (Charlie Marquez/Arnaud Delacour) won the $150,000 Laurel Futurity in a romp. Massif (Sheldon Russell/Brittany Russell) placed but the rider used every ounce of effort to finish second at 7-to-1.
Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Race 9: Mattingly (Samy Camacho/Joe Orseno) won the $65,000 Hollywood Beach Stakes. The Florida-bred broke his maiden at Gulf in June.
  • Samy Camacho rode four winners and Angel Morales added a trio. No trainer won more than once.
  • Penultimate Day of the Meet: Tomorrow closes shop for the track unil October 29. Keeneland runs 10/6/2023-10/28/2023.
  • Leaders: Tyler Gaffalione and Brad Cox should win jockey and trainer titles, respectively, and rather handily.
  • Tyler Gaffalione rode three winners, all within the first five races. Cristian Torres also had a 3-bagger.
  • Race 9: Zozos (Florent Geroux/Brad Cox) wired the field to win the Grade 3 $400,000 Ack Ack Stakes. This was a "Win and You're In" Breeders' Cup Challenge Series race.

• Race 10: Clapton (Cristian Torres/Chad Summers) won the $500,000 Grade 2 Lukas Classic at 8-to-1. Clapton was out for the 24th time.

• Card: Four graded stakes.
  • Race 6: Dr. Shivel (Juan Hernandez/Mark Glatt) won the Grade 2 $200,000 Santa Anita Sprint in a photo finish. The 5-year-old has won 7 of 14 starts, with earnings in excess of $1 million, including 4-for-6 at Santa Anita.
  • Race 8: Slow Down Andy (Mario Gutierrez/Doug O'Neill) wired the field to win the $300,000 Grade I Awesome Again Stakes. This was a "Win and You're In" Breeders' Cup Challenge Series race. A millionaire and a son to Nyquist, Slow Down Andy won for the 5th time in 14 starts.

• Race 9: Lane Way (Mike Smith/Richard Mandella) won the Grade 2 $200,000 Eddie D Stakes.

• Race 10: Hong Kong Harry (Juan Hernandez/Phil D'Amato) won the $200,000 Grade 2 City of Hope Stakes.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
There are 26 scratches in addition to race 6 being canceled at Aqueduct today (Sunday), a result of the rain and flooding from late last week in New York.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wow. Absolutely one of the longest obj-inq in recent New York history. And Caramel Swirl at even money was put up for win, following an original third place. Javier Castellano and Jose Lezcano both paid the price. I thought Castellano cut off Junior Alvarado, not sure about Lezcano but that was one of the rarest rulings I remember.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is something else. Four horses involved.
The fourth place horse stayed in fourth. Following the ruling. Junior was squeezed by both horses but definitely in my eyes more so by Castellano who rode the original winner. Patrons are active to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is something else. Four horses involved.
The fourth place horse stayed in fourth. Following the ruling. Junior was squeezed by both horses but definitely in my eyes more so by Castellano who rode the original winner. Patrons are active to say the least.
I need to see this one

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here is text to the controversial call.

But Caramel Swirl, ridden by Junior Alvarado, was forced to check hard inside the eighth pole. Alvarado claimed foul against Sterling Silver and Headland, the latter ridden by Jose Lezcano, for interfering with his filly at the eighth pole. The stewards, who did post the inquiry sign, ultimately determined that both Castellano and Lezcano were at fault for causing Caramel Swirl, the 4-5 favorite, to steady and made the rare double disqualification call. Sterling Silver was moved from first to second, Headland was moved from second to third.​
“One comes in and one comes out in our opinion,” said Braulio Baeza Jr., the New York State Gaming Commission steward who was joined in the stand with NYRA steward Brook Hawkins and Jockey Club steward Sam Randazzo. “You can see the initial contact comes from the outside, Mr. Castellano is dropping in and then you got Lezcano’s horse coming out at the same time. We figured both contributed to [Alvarado steadying] so we couldn’t move just one of them, we had to move both of them.”​
Dylan Davis, the jockey of fourth-place finisher Beguine, claimed foul against Caramel Swirl and Sterling Silver, but that claim was disallowed.​
“We didn’t feel he was moving forward,” Baeza said of Davis and Beguine.​
Castellano said it was unfair to disqualify Sterling Silver. He alleged Lezcano, on Headland, “came out all the way and put Junior Alvarado in a bad spot. I didn’t come in, I never come in. … I think it’s unfair to disqualify the horse. You want to punish me, punish me, but don’t disqualify the horse. Don’t punish the bettor, the owner, the connections. I think that was the wrong decision.”​
Lezcano, who on Headland made all the pace, disagreed with Castellano’s assessment.​
“I never moved from my spot,” Lezcano said.​
Alvarado said his filly was gaining momentum just before the eighth pole and had a chance to be right there at the wire with an unimpeded trip.​
“Javier got the jump, he made the first move, I was just getting my momentum going and they started coming over on me,” Alvarado said. “I thought Javier knew I was there, he just overdid it.”​
Caramel Swirl gave Godolphin Racing, trainer Bill Mott and Alvarado their second stakes win on the card. Earlier on the card, they teamed to win the Grade 2 Vosburgh with Cody’s Wish.​
Caramel Swirl likely earned herself a shot in the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint, according to Michael Banahan, bloodstock manager for Godolphin USA. Godolphin also plans to run Matareya in that race.​

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I need to see this one
Here is one angle. Dylan Davis finished fourth before and after the replay. He is in pink. Davis lodged the objection against Junior Alvarado who originally finished third but was put up for win.

Alvarado is squeezed by Javier Castellano (2) to the left on the screen and Jose Lezcano (6) to the right on the screen.

What added to the fervor is NYRA broke the cardinal rule of changing OBJECTION-INQUIRY to UNOFFICIAL and then changing the order of finish. The expectation was no change but considering the time involved, I expected something to be altered, likely a placing judge was involved. People were almost equally agitated regarding the change as they were about the change AFTER the UNOFFICIAL sign was designated as a replacement for OBJECTION-INQUIRY.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Here is one angle. Dylan Davis finished fourth before and after the replay. He is in pink.

Junior Alvarado is squeezed by Javier Castellano (2) to the left on the screen and Jose Lezcano (6) to the right on the screen.

So, the 4 is squeezed, and the 1 is squeezed, 1 is placed first? 4 is 4th? 2 and 6 both DQ’ed to second and third?

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
So, the 4 is squeezed, and the 1 is squeezed, 1 is placed first? 4 is 4th? 2 and 6 both DQ’ed to second and third?
Davis indicated he lodged against Alvarado but that would be part of the multi "objection." The stewards' inquiry determined no change involving that part of the complexity. I didn't see Davis' assessment quite honestly. But yes, the order of finish was originally 2-6-1-4 but was changed to 1-2-6-4.

I thought Alvarado's mount was making a stronger rush than Davis and perhaps stewards saw it similarly. Meaning, the front horses caused Alvarado's mount to pause.

Reactions: GKJ

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sunday, October 1, 2023
  • Brad Cox is a remarkable 11 8-0-0 since September 28. He has won at all four tracks he ran a horse -- Indianapolis (IN), Laurel (MD), Belmont at Aqueduct (NY) and Churchill (KY). At the Kentucky track, he is 7 5-0-0 in that time.
Belmont at Aqueduct (New York):
  • Card: Drawn for Saturday but canceled due to rain and flooding in New York. The 6th race was canceled. Racing was off-the-turf.
  • Junior Alvarado-Bill Mott won two of the three graded stakes. They had a very profitable day.
  • Race 3: Cody's Wish (Junior Alvarado/Bill Mott) was sent off 1-to-9, broke bad though excelled to win the Grade 2 $250,000 Vosburgh Stakes. Cody's Wish broke bad, which isn't unusual, then rallied gamely. The 5-year-old son to Curlin is 15 10-1-4 with over $2.5 million earned. He has won seven of his past eight. This is a Breeders' Cup Challenge Series race.
1696211495051.png

• Race 5: Caramel Swirl (Junior Alvarado/Bill Mott) was elevated to first and won the Grade 2 $250,000 Gallant Bloom Stakes following a lengthy objection-inquiry that involved the top four horses. Alvarado's mount initially finished third (see above posts).
  • Race 6: Canceled yesterday. many exotic wagers were removed from the betting opportunities.
  • Race 7: Zandon (Flavien Prat/Chad Brown) was sent off the favorite and won handsomely to win the Grade2 $400,000 Woodward Stakes.

Laurel (Maryland):
  • No Repeats: 10 races, 10 riders and trainers were victorious.
  • Race 1: Ask Amanda (Jorge Ruiz) and Radiant Queen (Jaime Rodriguez) were both first-time starters who finished 1-2 for trainer Graham Motion. I thought the $1 exacta was tad low at $42 but the $1 super returned more than $13,000.
  • Race 6: Miss Justify (Jean Briceno/Susan Cooney) was sent off 15-to-1 and separated herself from the pack with style to win this MSW. She was a $250,000 purchase with a Triple Crown winner as a sire. The trainer has been active for 30+ years with an average of about 10 wins per year. Maybe she has something here. Good to see some of the smaller stabled trainers excel.

• Race 9: John Hall (Sheldon Russell/Brittany Russell) was victorious for the second time in four starts. I liked what I saw first-time-out about 10 months ago but the son to Violence didn't show improvement. Today was a fantastic finish and ride by Sheldon who won by a nose hair.

• Final Day of the Meet: Onto Keeneland for a Friday opener. Churchill returns October 29.
  • Leading Jockey: Tyler Gaffalione won 27 times, 15 more than his closest challenger.
  • Leading Trainer: Brad Cox's 16 wins were 10 more than his closest challenger. I am not sure why Cox is not holding his own sign in this photo:
1696211289664.png
  • Race 4: Catching Freedom (Florent Geroux/Brad Cox), a $575,000 2-year-old son to Constitution, could be another star for the trainer. First-timeout today, did not disappoint.

• Handle: Roughly $11 million.
  • Card: Four stakes, three graded. The card began with three MSW races.
  • Race 3: Living Life (Drayden Van Dyke/Ron Ellis), seventh in the stretch, got his nose down to win at 87-to-1. The $177 winner was by far the longest shot on the board, a 23-to-1 was second highest.
  • Race 4: Adare Manor (Juan Hernandez/Bob Baffert) wired the field at 1-to-9 to win the Grade 2 $200,000 Zenyatta Stakes. The 4-year-old Uncle Mo filly will likely surpass the million mark in her next race..
  • Race 5: Ruby Neil (Edwin Maldonado/Richard Mandella) won the $100,000 Unzip Me Stakes.
  • Race 6: Missed the Cut (Umberto Rispoli/John Sadler) won the $100,000 Grade 3 Tokyo City Cup Stakes.
  • Race 7: Balladeer (Victor Espinoza/George Papaprodromou) won the $200,000 Grade 2 John Henry Turf.
  • John Velazquez was supposed to ride seven mounts but opted to stay in New York. Maybe he knew he didn't have much in Cali. Joel Rosario, riding late last week in New York, picked up most of those rides but none factored and his final tally was 6 0-0-1. The odds ranged from even money to 21-to-1, with five going off roughly 6-to-1 or more. Yikes.
Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Race 9: Touch'n Ride (Kazushi Kimura/Layne Giliforte) won the $400,000 Breeders' Stakes, the third and final leg of the Canadian Triple Crown, in a nail-biter in one of the best races of the day.

• Race 11: Super Headline (Sofia Vives/Anthony Pottinger) paid $74.50 in victory. The 5-pound bug could get some attention as an Apprentice of the Year.
  • Eswan Flores had a natural hat trick.
  • Martin Drexler had a three-win day with three different riders on board.
Paris Longchamp (France):
  • Card: Five races -- 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 -- with Breeders' Cup implications.
  • Race 4 -- Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe: Ace Impact is 6-for-6 lifetime with all races this year. He was purchased at auction for $88,000 and has now earned over $4 million.

Race #PurseRace TypeDistanceWinning Horse
1$425,000Gr1 - Qatar Prix Jean-luc Lagardere7FRosallion (IRE)
2$425,000Gr1 - Qatar Prix Marcel Boussac - Criterium Des Pouliches1MOpera Singer (USA)
3$1,062,000Gr1 - Qatar Arabian World Cup1 1/4MAl Ghadeer
4$5,309,500Gr1 - Qatar Prix De L'arc De Triomphe1 1/2MAce Impact (IRE)
5$531,000Gr1 - Prix De L'opera Longines1 1/4MBlue Rose Cen (IRE)
6$371,500Gr1 - Prix De L'abbaye De Longchamp Longines5FHighfield Princess
7$371,500Gr1 - Qatar Prix De La Foret7FKelina (IRE)
8$74,500Handicap6 1/2FPedrito

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A reminder that Belmont at Aqueduct races Wednesday in what was supposed to be a card run today (Sunday).

Races 5 and 7 are Breeders' Cup Challenge Series races.

1$38,000Maiden Claiming6 FDirt91:05 PM ET
2$62,000Claiming6 FDirt81:36 PM ET
3$85,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MDirt72:09 PM ET
4$102,000Allowance Optional Claiming7 FDirt72:38 PM ET
5$200,000Miss Grillo S.1 1/16 MTurf123:10 PM ET
6$28,000Claiming1 MDirt103:42 PM ET
7$200,000Pilgrim S.1 1/16 MTurf94:14 PM ET
8$102,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 1/8 MDirt84:49 PM ET
9$100,000Allowance1 MTurf145:21 PM ET
10$75,000Maiden Special Weight6 FTurf165:53 PM ET

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
17 BREEDERS" CUP "Win and You're In" Races ( Breeders' Cup Challenge Series )

Wed, October 4:
Aqueduct (2)

Fri, October 6:
Keeneland (3)

Sat, October 7:
Aqueduct (2)
Keeneland (3) -- all on CNBC
Santa Anita (3) -- one on CNBC
Gulfstream (1)

Sun, October 8:
Aqueduct (1)
Keeneland (2) -- both on CNBC

If Keeneland isn't at the top of America's horse racing venues, it isn't behind too many.

KEENELAND's FRIDAY CARD:
1$68,000Maiden Claiming1 1/16 MDirt161:00 PM ET
2$100,000Maiden Special Weight6 FDirt151:32 PM ET
3$110,000AllowanceAbout 7 FDirt82:04 PM ET
4$110,000Allowance Optional Claiming6 FDirt92:36 PM ET
5$130,000Allowance5 1/2 FTurf123:08 PM ET
6$100,000Maiden Special Weight6 FDirt143:40 PM ET
7$350,000Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix S.6 FDirt114:12 PM ET
8$350,000Jessamine S. presented by Keeneland November1 1/16 MTurf114:44 PM ET
9$600,000Darley Alcibiades S.1 1/16 MDirt95:16 PM ET
10$120,000Allowance1 MTurf165:48 PM ET

KEENELAND's SATURDAY CARD:
1$52,000Claiming6 1/2 FDirt81:00 PM ET
2$100,000Maiden Special Weight6 FDirt151:32 PM ET
3$100,000Maiden Special Weight7 FDirt82:04 PM ET
4$120,000Allowance1 1/16 MTurf142:36 PM ET
5$110,000Allowance Optional Claiming6 FDirt103:08 PM ET
6$350,000Woodford S. Presented by FanDuel5 1/2 FTurf123:40 PM ET
7$350,000Thoroughbred Club of America S.6 FDirt74:12 PM ET
8$750,000First Lady S. Presented by UK HealthCare1 MTurf84:43 PM ET
9$600,000Claiborne Breeders' Futurity1 1/16 MDirt95:14 PM ET
10$1,000,000Coolmore Turf Mile S.1 MTurf95:45 PM ET
11$100,000Maiden Special Weight6 FDirt156:18 PM ET

SANTA ANITA's SATURDAY CARD
Separately, Bob Baffert debuts a $1.7 million Quality Road colt in race 6 when Coach Prime hits the track for the first time.
1$61,000Maiden Special Weight6 1/2 FDirt91:00 PM PT
2$36,000Starter Optional Claiming6 FTurf81:30 PM PT
3$200,000Chandelier S.1 1/16 MDirt102:00 PM PT
4$100,000Speakeasy S.5 FTurf102:30 PM PT
5$61,000Maiden Special Weight6 FDirt93:00 PM PT
6$61,000Maiden Special Weight1 MTurf143:30 PM PT
7$26,000Claiming6 1/2 FDirt124:00 PM PT
8$300,000Rodeo Drive S.1 1/4 MDownhill turf84:30 PM PT
9$300,000American Pharoah S.1 1/16 MDirt85:00 PM PT
10$63,000Allowance Optional Claiming6 FTurf115:30 PM PT

BELMONT's (at Aqueduct) SATURDAY CARD:
1$47,000Maiden Claiming6 1/2 FDirt812:05 PM ET
2$65,000Starter Allowance1 1/8 MDirt812:36 PM ET
3$200,000Waya S.1 3/8 MTurf81:10 PM ET
4$500,000Joe Hirsch Turf Classic S.1 1/2 MTurf81:40 PM ET
5$400,000Frizette S.1 MDirt62:12 PM ET
6$200,000Belmont Turf Sprint S.6 FTurf122:44 PM ET
7$100,000Allowance6 FDirt83:16 PM ET
8$500,000Champagne S.1 MDirt83:46 PM ET
9$500,000Jockey Club Derby Invitational S.1 3/8 MTurf94:22 PM ET
10$100,000Allowance7 FDirt124:53 PM ET
11$65,000Starter Allowance1 1/16 MTurf145:24 PM ET

TELEVISION OPTIONS FROM FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY:
Oct. 6"America's Day at the Races"12:30 p.m.-5 p.m.FS2
Oct. 6Live coverage of horse racing including opening day at Keenelandpost time variesFanDuel TV
Oct. 6Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
Oct. 7"America's Day at the Races"12:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. on FS1, 3:30 p.m.-4 p.m. on FS2FS1 and FS2
Oct. 7Broadcast of Breeders' Cup preps from Keeneland4 p.m.-6 p.m.CNBC and Peacock
Oct. 7Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
Oct. 7Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
Oct. 8"America's Day at the Races"12:30 p.m.-1 p.m. on FS2, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. on FS1, 3 p.m.-5 p.m. on FS2FS2 and FS1
Oct. 8Woodbine LIVE!4:15 p.m.Facebook, Twitter/X, and YouTube
Oct. 8Broadcast of Breeders' Cup preps from Keeneland5 p.m.-6 p.m.CNBC and Peacock
Oct. 8Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
Oct. 8Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Monday, October 2, 2023

Finger Lakes (New York):
  • Race 4: Philharmonic (Mattie Martin/Nick Zito) won by more than 10 lengths. Martin won for the 18th time in her three-year riding career. She had worked as an exercise rider for Bill Mott and assistant trainer for Michael Maker. That was just the sixth win for the 75-year-old Hall-of-Famer Zito with his past 208 starters since the beginning of 2021.
Golden Gate Fields (California):
  • Closing Day: The meet began August 26. The track returns for a meet that extends 10/21/2023-12/11/2023. The gloom of expectancy is the track will cease operating in June 2024.
  • Fresno (fair track) takes the reins in northern California for a brief meet that ranges 10/6/2023-10/15/2023.
  • Leading Jockey: In a close finish, Evin Roman (21), Asa Espinoza (21) and Alex Chavez (20) finished with 20+ wins apiece.
  • Leading Trainer: Isidro Tamayo with 17 wins.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Linda Rice, one of New York's most successful trainers in recent years and from a very established racing family, was fined $100,000 for improper conduct as it relates to receiving information from the state Racing Association which included getting advance notices on entries.

Last month, a state appeals court nullified the recommended three-year ban imposed by the Gaming Commission.

Thus, she will have to pain a hefty fine but not serve time.

She is 25% this year, the second highest figure in her 36-year career.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Things continue to click in Kentucky. Turfway is expected to run additional dates in the winter/spring meet which starts in January. The usual weekly schedule will be Wednesday through Saturday.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Jockeys put their lives on the line every time they ride a horse. I hope and pray this kid can regain his worth. Small-time racing in Nebraska but it deserves attention.

Multiple stakes-winning jockey Zack Ziegler remains hospitalized after a serious spill occurred at Columbus Ag Park on Saturday, Sept. 30.​
The 35-year-old was riding After Burn in the final race on the card at the Nebraska racetrack, when the 4-year-old gelding clipped heels with a leading rival and unseated Ziegler. According to a GoFundMe page set up after the incident, After Burn “fell directly on top of Zach, then rolled back onto him trying to get up and ended it with stepping on the back of his neck and lower left side when he finally got up.”​
Ziegler was airlifted to Lincoln Trauma Center, where fundraiser coordinator Carrie Robb reports that he immediately underwent surgery to repair a brain bleed. Additional trauma includes a possible C7 fracture, possible facial fractures, and a laceration to his right eye.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad