Horse Racing: I. Ortiz/B. Cox/Godolphin/Into Mischief top 2023; J. Rodriguez/B. Russell win Laurel titles on final day; L. Rice sets NYRA record for wins in a year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Northern California isn't quitting on racing just yet. While the future of Golden Gate under The Stronach Group looks bleak, the fairs tracks may increase visibility. There could be as many as 43 weeks of racing under a proposal. Cal-Expo would be the centerpiece, then onto the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton, Cal-Expo again, the Sonoma County Fair in Santa Rosa, the Humboldt County Fair in Ferndale, and The Big Fresno Fair. Meetings are scheduled for later this week.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thursday, July 20, 2023

Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: Roughly $16 million.
  • Race 9: Whisper Not (Tyler Gaffalione/Brendan Walsh) won at 14-to-1 in perhaps the day's biggest thrilling finish.

• Race 6: Kodiac Wintergreen (Jose Ortiz/Rusty Arnold) picked up Ever So Sweet (Flavien Prat/Brad Cox), my bet of the day at 6-to-1 and perhaps the meet to date, who nearly wired them all. Grrrrrr. The winner was one of just two horses with a race under his belt. The top three finishers were foaled in Ireland and were the only runners, of ten, bred there. When you have the 10 and things are setting up as planned but then....
tenor.gif

Delaware Park (Delaware):
  • Canceled: Mid-card cancellation due to heavy rains.
Colonial Downs (Virginia):
  • Race 2: Swill (Jevian Toledo/Brittany Russell) won stylishly under Russell who had the horse for the second time after seven races in Brad Cox's barn. Swill finished fourth in a graded stakes at Churchill Downs in 2020 but since has been lightly raced. The 5-year-old gelded son of Munnings was a $265,000 purchase in 2019.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Friday, July 21, 2023

Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $18 million.
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr. rode with a vengeance today finishing 7 4-1-1 and a natural hat trick later in the card.
  • Todd Pletcher had a 3-win day.
  • Race 4: Scotland (Junior Alvarado/Bill Mott) won the $135,000 Curlin Stakes in gate-to-wire style and by more than three lengths. Scotland has won at Gulfstream, Churchill and Saratoga in four career starts. Bigger things await.

• Race 9: Surge Capacity (Joel Rosario/Chad Brown) won the $175,000 Grade 3 Lake George Stakes. The 3-year-old filly is 2 2-0-0 lifetime. Klaravich Stables owns,

• Race 1: Jose Ortiz was unseated near the finish line and transported to a nearby hospital. He was off his remaining mounts today. No other immediate update was issued other than being evaluated.
Monmouth (New Jersey):

Charles Town (West Virginia):
  • Race 5: The $1 super returned over $66,000 with 24-to-1, 3-to-1, 46-to-1 and 9-1 making the exotic happen.
  • Race 8: The $1 Pick 6 paid over $380,000 and that is despite four favorites winning.
Del Mar (California):
  • Opening Day; One of the most eagerly anticipated meets of the calendar year opened.
    • Southern Cal future dates:
    • Del Mar -- 7/21/2023-9/10/2023, 11/10/2023-12/3/2023
    • Santa Anita -- 9/29/2023-11/5/2023

• Handle: Exceeded $21 million.
  • Chalk Bit the Dust: Favorites won just twice in 10 races.
  • Repeat Winners: Mike Smith, Joe Bravo [28-to-1 and 10-to-1] and Hector Berrios among riders while Doug O'Neill recorded three training wins.
  • Race 5: The $.50 Pick 5 paid a gigantic $90,000.
  • Race 3: The finish of 28-to-1, 32-1, 16-1 and 21-1 led to a $2 exacta that neared $1,000, a $.50 tri that was enormous at $4,300+ and $.10 super than returned over $5,000.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Mac Robertson went to town on HISA.

Texas has some company.

"I actually support most of what HISA is trying to do but of course the provisional suspension is an obvious exception to that," Robertson said. "When you look at it, a provisional suspension is about as un-American as you can get. Everyone in racing should oppose it; all American citizens should oppose it."

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Weather appears to be splendid all day at Oceanport, NJ and Saratoga Springs, NY. Del Mar is Del Mar, idyllic as the norm.

Indiana starts the day with a late morning early post. The track runs QHs today and the final two races will be worth a combined $275,000. Good track, good simulcast feed including the best graphics going.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday, July 22, 2023
  • Chad Brown won six of the 11 races in which entered spanning three tracks and finished 15 6-1-2 including a 4-win day at Monmouth (NJ).
  • Klaravich Stables, led by astute Seth Klarman and a top owner to Chad Brown, finished 9 5-0-2 with three wins at Monmouth (NJ).
  • Mike Smith went coast-to-coast, winning twice in California yesterday and the biggest race of the day today in NJ.
Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: Roughly $24 million.
  • Race 6: Roses for Debra (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Christophe Clement) won the $200,000 Grade 3 Caress Stakes.
  • Race 7: Valentine Candy (Ricardo Santana, Jr./Steve Asmussen) was sent off the favorite and won a $138,500 MSW with 10 first-timers squaring off.
  • Race 9: Wet Paint (Flavien Prat/Brad Cox) finished with a furious rally to win the $500,000 Grade I Coaching Club American Oaks Stakes by a neck.

• Irad Ortiz, Jr. rode the entire 11-race card and finished 11 5-3-1. What added to the storyline was his brother Jose being hospitalized yesterday in a spill with bruised ribs. Irad is 18 9-4-2 the past two days. He may have just secured Jockey of the Year even though we are nearly halfway. Although he rode for three of New York's top conditioners in Chad Brown, Todd Pletcher and Linda Rice, he is an incredible athlete.
1690074658376.png

Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Handle: Exceeded $21 million for the 14-race card and that established an all-time record for the event.
  • Attendance: Estimated at 35,000.
  • Chad Brown went 9 4-1-2.
  • Klaravich Stables went 5 3-0-2.
  • Joel Rosario and Paco Lopez both rode three winners.
  • Race 5: Consumer Spending (Joel Rosario/Chad Brown) won the $300,000 Grade 3 Matchmaker Stakes.

• Race 8: Proxy (Joel Rosario/Michael Stidham) won the $400,000 Grade 3 Monmouth Cup.

• Race 10: Shotgun Hottie (Paco Lopez/Cherie DeVaux) won the $500,000 Grade 3 Molly Pitcher Stakes.

• Race 11: Therapist (Javier Castellano/Michael Maker) won the $600,000 Grade I United Nations Stakes at 12-to-1. This is part of the Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In" Series.

• Race 12: Geaux Rocket Ride (Mike Smith/Richard Mandella) won the $1,000,000 Grade I Haskell Stakes. The 3-year-old son to Candy Ride raced outside Santa Anita for the first time in four career starts. Smith picked up the mount for the first time and was genuinely ecstatic about the opportunity and future of the colt. The winner was sent off 12-to-1 and completed a $.50 Pick 4 that returned over $14,000.

• Race 13: The $.20 Pick 6 returned a smashing $163,000+,
Belterra (Ohio):
  • Race 5: Spellcast (Victor Lebron/Tim Hamm) won the $75,000 Hoover Stakes. The trainer had five entered.
  • Race 7: Casual Attire (Yarmarie Correa/Tim Hamm) won the $75,000 Horizon Stakes. The winning trainer had four entered as part of a group entry (similar ownerships).
  • Tim Hamm won two of the Stakes in which he entered a total of nine horses. He finished the day 13 2-1-2.
Del Mar (California):
  • Handle: Roughly $22 million.
  • Umberto Rispoli rode three winners (card incomplete).
  • Race 8: Dua (Juan Hernandez/Bob Baffert) debuted to a win as the favorite. The 2-year-old daughter to Arrogate was purchased for $400,000.

• Race 9: Anisette (Umberto Rispoli/Leonard Powell) was sent off the favorite and won the $200,000 Grade 2 San Clemente Stakes. Powell, from France and in his mid-40s, has just a handful of graded stakes wins. Big effort from his barn.
Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Race 7: Mohawk Trail (Adam Beschizza/Kelsey Danner) won the $150,000 Grade 3 Ontario Colleen Stakes at 11-to-1.
  • Race 8: Loyalty (Kazushi Kimura/Josie Carroll) won the $175,000 Grade 3 Hendrie Stakes.
  • Kazushi Kimura, hospitalized last week due to concussion protocol, rode four winners.
  • Mark Casse (four total wins) and Josie Carroll trained three winners apiece.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Assiniboia (MB) has the largest existing carryover in North America with a Pick 5 pool that should surpass $500,000 tomorrow. Parx (PA) has a pool of $350,000+. Both tracks are off today but run Monday.

Woodbine (ON) has the $500,000 Woodbine Oaks this afternoon.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sunday, July 23, 2023

Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: Roughly $19 million.
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr. added two wins to his total. He ended the day with wins in 11 of his past 25 rides.
  • Race 4: Nest (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Todd Pletcher) won the expected duel against Clairiere (Joel Rosario/Steve Asmussen) in a field of four to capture the $200,000 Grade 2 Shuvee Stakes. She is the 2022 Eclipse Award-winning champion filly. A four-year-old daughter to Curlin, Nest is 12 8-2-1 with over $2 million in earnings. A huge group in the winners' circle as well.

1690415166003.png

Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Chalk Erased: Favorites lost 10 times in 11 races.
  • Race 11: The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $53,000.
  • Race 5: The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $20,000.
Laurel (Maryland):
  • Race 1: Langlee Avenue (Sheldon Russell/Brittany Russell) gave the husband-wife team a gate-to-wire winner in the opener. It was the trainer's lone starter.
  • Race 5: The $1 super returned over $71,000 with a 10-to-1 and 19-to-1 topping the ticket.
Louisiana Downs (Louisiana):
  • Race 2: Vin and Vigor (Calvin Borel/Shane Wilson) gave the jockey his first win first in over a month. The 3-time Kentucky Derby winner rides infrequently with his prior most recent victory the third of three straight winning rides.
Del Mar (California):
  • Handle: $18 million.
  • Phil D'Amato and Bob Baffert each had three winners.
  • Race 4: Cowboy Mike (Juan Hernandez/Bob Baffert) was the recipient of a favorable and unanimous DQ which propelled him to a win in what was a chaotic series of events. The original winner was placed second. Also, due to bumping, a separate DQ was posted following jockey Abel Cedillo, who was injured and transported to a local hospital with a possible neck injury. UPDATE: Abel Cedillo will be out up to six weeks after fracturing his neck in Saturday's double-DQ at Del Mar. No other injuries reported. Odd series of events transpired.

• Race 6: Order and Law (Kent Desormeaux/Bob Hess) was one of the longest shots on the board at 14-to-1 but won the $125,000 Grade 3 Cougar II Stakes.
  • Race 10: Camp Bashors Candy (Juan Hernandez/Bob Baffert) was the lone first-time starter in a field of 11 and rallied strongly to win. Baffert had lost his past 17 maiden claiming first-timers.
Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Handle: More than $9 million.
  • Sahin Civaci rode four winners. He ended his afternoon 8 4-2-1. Civaci was born in Vancouver and after relocating to his family's home country of Turkey, he returned to Canada to ride at Hastings about 10 years ago before headed to Toronto. He has turned into a solid rider in the competitive colony.
  • Race 10: Elysian Field (Sahin Civaci/Mark Casse) won the $500,000 Woodbine Oaks. The winner was bet down from a 12-to-1 morning line.

• Race 9: Paramount Prince (Patrick Husbands/Mark Casse) won the $150,000 Plate Trail Stakes.

• Race 8: Dream Shake (Rafael Hernandez/Michael Stidham) won the $175,000 Grade 2 Connaught Cup Stakes.

• Race 7: Il Malocchio (Sahin Civaci/Martin Drexler) won the $150,000 Grade 3 Trillium Stakes.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
With racing booming at Meadowlands (NJ) this year, interesting that not only has FOX announced a 3-hour window on August 6 with Saratoga (NY) but it is expected the tracks will offer a Pick 5 bet involving the Hambletonian, the biggest harness race in the USA. For a T-bred track to join a harness facility for such a bet is not only rare but also speaks volumes. Meadowlands races daytime very infrequently.

Meadowlands got its biggest Pace night since 2006 last Saturday with well over $5 million bet.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
5-horse entry at Belterra? lmao
Five is correct for one of the Stakes but that was not a group entry.

I saw another race in which he entered four. That groups was an entry (but I was mistaken in saying there was a scratch of a fifth, looking back at the chart). Five would be nutty. :sarcasm:

RACE 5 - POST TIME - 3:25 PM ET Hoover S.

Exacta / 50 cent Trifecta / 10 cent Superfecta / 50 cent Pick 3 (Races 5-6-7)
Belterra Park STAKES
Purse $75,000. (Includes $26,250 – OTF - Ohio Thoroughbred Fund). For Two Years Old, Registered Ohio Foals. By subscription of $50 each, which shall accompany the nomination. $263 due at time of entry and $487 additional to start, which shall be due at noon, day of the race. $75,000 Guaranteed (Includes $26,250 OTF),of which 60% to the winner; 20% to second; 10% to third; 5% to fourth; 3% to fifth; 2% to sixth. Weight 122 Lbs. non-winners of a sweepstakes; allowed 2 Lbs.; non-winners of two races other than maiden or claiming allowed 4 Lbs.; Maidens allowed, 6 Lbs. Starters and riders must be named through the entry box by the usual time of closing. This race will be limited to fourteen (14) horses with preference to start given to those who have accumulated the highest career earnings. Failure to draw in cancels all fees. Trophy presented to the winning owner. Nominations closed Wednesday, July 12, 2023 with 12 nominations. Five And One Half Furlongs.
Owners: 1 - Charlie J. Williams, LLC ; 2 - Blazing Meadows Farm, LLC ; 3 - Blazing Meadows Farm, LLC ; 4 - Sheltowee Farm ; 5 - WinStar Farm, LLC and Blazing Meadows Farm, LLC ; 6 - Blazing Meadows Farm, LLC ; 7 - Blazing Meadows Farm, LLC and Shane Hamm ; 8 - Gary Holland and Jim Rumford
Breeders: 1 - Charlie J. Williams LLC; 2 - Blazing Meadows Farm LLC & Brian Kahn; 3 - Blazing Meadows Farm LLC; 4 - Smokin C LLC; 5 - Blazing Meadows Farm LLC & WinStarFarm, LLC; 6 - Blazing Meadows Farm LLC & Choice OneBloodstock; 7 - WinBlaze, LLC; 8 - Pine Ridge Farm
Pedigrees (Sire - Dam, by Dam Sire): 1 - Competitive Edge - Ohio Gold , by Wilburn ; 2 - National Flag - Feeling Ethereal , by Union Rags ; 3 - National Flag - Spotshot , by Bernardini ; 4 - Corfu - Ivory Treasure , by Runaway Groom ; 5 - Tourist - Orientate to Luv , by Orientate ; 6 - National Flag - Spun From Gold , by Hard Spun ; 7 - National Flag - Callisto , by Malibu Moon ; 8 - National Flag - Maggie's Pleasure , by Eavesdropper ;

===========================================================

RACE 7 - POST TIME - 4:25 PM ET Horizon S.

Exacta / 50 cent Trifecta / 10 cent Superfecta /50 cent Pick 4( 7-8-9-10 )
Belterra Park STAKES
Purse $75,000. (Includes $26,250 – OTF - Ohio Thoroughbred Fund). For Three Years Old, Accredited Ohio Foals. By subscription of $50 each, which shall accompany the nomination. $263 due at time of entry and $487 additional to start, which shall be due at noon, day of the race. $75,000 Guaranteed (Includes $26,250 OTF), of which 60% to the winner; 20% to second; 10% to third; 5% to fourth; 3% to fifth; 2% to sixth. Weight 122 Lbs. non-winners of a sweepstakes at a mile or over, allowed 2 Lbs.; non-winners of three races other than maiden,claiming,optional or starter allowed 4 Lbs.; Two races other than maiden, claiming, optional or starter allowed, 6 Lbs. Starters and riders must be named through the entry box by the usual time of closing. This race will be limited to twelve (12) horses with preference to start given to those who have accumulated the highest career earnings in 2022-2023. Should this race be determined to run on the dirt the distance will remain the same. Failure to draw in cancels all fees. Trophy presented to the winning owner. Nominations closed Wednesday, July 12, 2023 with 16 nominations. (If transferred to the Main Track, this race will be run at One Mile and a Sixteenth.) . One And One Sixteenth Miles. (Turf) (Rail at 14 Feet)
A - Coupled Entries - 1 - Controller, 1A - Excitement, 1B - Hidden Access, 1X - Casual Attire
Owners: 1 - Blazing Meadows Farm, LLC and Ella D Racing Stable ; 1A - Winblaze, LLC ; 1B - Blazing Meadows Farm, LLC and Ella D Racing Stable ; 1X - Winblaze, LLC ; 2 - Blue Snow Racing Stables and Boots N Bikinis, LLC ; 3 - Beckett Racing Team LLC ; 4 - Geovani Peralta ; ; 6 - Mast Thoroughbreds, LLC ; 7 - Shelly R. Radosevich ; 8 - HDM Racing Stables, LLC ; 9 - Rolf Obrecht ; ; ; ;
Breeders: 1 - WinBlaze, LLC; 1A - WinBlaze, LLC; 1B - Mapleton Thoroughbred Farm; 1X - WinBlaze, LLC; 2 - Pat Coleman; 3 - Beckett Racing Team; 4 - Robert Allen Rowe; 6 - Gail Kromer & Eric Heyman; 7 - Ronald J. Paolucci; 8 - Mapleton Thoroughbred Farm; 9 - Smokin C LLC;
Pedigrees (Sire - Dam, by Dam Sire): 1 - National Flag - Bourgeois , by Awesome Again ; 1A - National Flag - Elated , by Kitten's Joy ; 1B - Mobil - Preservation Hall , by Dixieland Band ; 1X - National Flag - Miss Emma Maria , by Tiznow ; 2 - Kettle Corn - Aide , by Arch ; 3 - Indy Wind - Miss Carrera , by Memo (CHI) ; 4 - Animo de Valeroso - Four Flourishes , by Doneraile Court ; 6 - City Weekend - Kissy Suzuki , by Summer Bird ; 7 - Global Power - Be Mind Phil , by Philanthropist ; 8 - Awesome Patriot - Bossy Girl , by Street Boss ; 9 - Corfu - Lightning Lucy , by Giant's Causeway ;

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know the last time I saw a 1B. In anything. I know there's a state highway in Delaware with that number.

I know the 1986? BC Juvenile Fillies had a 5-way entry with 1, 1A, 1C, 1F and 1X with Open Mind winning as the 1C. Don't think I've ever seen either 1C or 1F otherwise.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@GKJ -- I got the two Stakes races mixed up. I was partially right and wrong. :oops:

^There are likely other examples but I recall Nick Zito having five in a Kentucky Derby. I think there are different rules for various jurisdictions but something like 25% similar ownership applies to an entry. There was a move to limit entries because it led to reduced betting options.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The jockeys on trainer Nick Zito’s five horses in the Kentucky Derby went in with high hopes Saturday, but none finished better than seventh.​
Bellamy Road, the 5-2 favorite, was the biggest disappointment.​
“He seemed to handle the track well, but he just didn’t have it,” Javier Castellano said of his colt’s seventh-place finish.​
Andromeda’s Hero, the longest-price among the five at 57-1, ran the best race. He rallied from 16th to get eighth with Rafael Bejarano aboard.​
High Fly, the Florida Derby winner, was 10th after taking a slim lead at the top of the stretch for Jerry Bailey.​
“I inched my way between horses,” Bailey said. “They swamped me so bad I don’t know where I finished.”​
Noble Causeway never settled for Gary Stevens and finished 14th. “He would not relax for me at all,” Stevens said.​
Sun King was 15th for Edgar Prado. “He was running OK for a while, but he had no finish,” Prado said.​

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@GKJ -- I got the two Stakes races mixed up. I was partially right and wrong. :oops:

^There are likely other examples but I recall Nick Zito having five in a Kentucky Derby.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The jockeys on trainer Nick Zito’s five horses in the Kentucky Derby went in with high hopes Saturday, but none finished better than seventh.​
Bellamy Road, the 5-2 favorite, was the biggest disappointment.​
“He seemed to handle the track well, but he just didn’t have it,” Javier Castellano said of his colt’s seventh-place finish.​
Andromeda’s Hero, the longest-price among the five at 57-1, ran the best race. He rallied from 16th to get eighth with Rafael Bejarano aboard.​
High Fly, the Florida Derby winner, was 10th after taking a slim lead at the top of the stretch for Jerry Bailey.​
“I inched my way between horses,” Bailey said. “They swamped me so bad I don’t know where I finished.”​
Noble Causeway never settled for Gary Stevens and finished 14th. “He would not relax for me at all,” Stevens said.​
Sun King was 15th for Edgar Prado. “He was running OK for a while, but he had no finish,” Prado said.​
There were some weird ones back in the 90's, especially before you could bet on more than 12 interests.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
TV options for Wednesday through Sunday.

Some Midwest tracks have altered post times including Belterra (Cincinnati) starting at 11:25 later this week. Hawthorne (Illinois) and Canterbury (Minnesota) are choosing to race later into the evenings.

DateProgramTimeNetwork/Social Media
WED
July 26
"Saratoga Live"1 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.FS2
July 26Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
July 26Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
THURS
July 27
"Saratoga Live"1 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.FS2
July 27Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
July 27Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
FRIDAY
July 28
"Saratoga Live"1 p.m.-7 p.m.FS2
July 28Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
July 28Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
SAT
July 29
"Saratoga Live" and "FOX Saratoga Saturday"1 p.m.-1:30 p.m. on FS2, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m on FS1, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. on FOX, 6 p.m.-7 p.m. on FS2FOX, FS2 and FS1
July 29Live coverage of horse racing including the Bing Crosby Stakespost time variesFanDuel TV
July 29Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
SUNDAY
July 30
"Saratoga Live"1 p.m.-4 p.m. on FS2, 4 p.m.-6:30 p.m. on FS1FS2 and FS1
July 30Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
July 30Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
New York usually reveals Saturday cards late Wednesday afternoons. Until then, this is a starting gate of sorts for potential runners in the Jim Dandy:

1690330262922.png

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Meadowlands (NJ) is having a fantastic 2023. Meanwhile, the handle for Saturday's Haskell exceeded $21 million which appears to be the highest in Monmouth (NJ) history for a non-Breeders' Cup card. Attendance was approximated at 35,000.

Monmouth held the 2007 Breeders' Cup amid ugly weather that weekend. That was the most recent time the enormous event was held in a state other than Kentucky or California.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wednesday, July 26, 2023
  • The Heat is On: Colonial Downs will cancel Friday's card and instead race on August 2.
Saratoga (New York):
  • Race 4: Echo Zulu (Florent Geroux/Steve Asmussen) won by more than seven lengths in winning the $200,000 Grade 2 Honorable Miss Handicap. The 3-year-old daughter to the nearly flawless Gun Runner, she is 10 8-1-0 lifetime with over $2.3 million earned.

• Jose Ortiz, injured and hospitalized last week with bruised ribs, won three times today in his return. He teamed with trainer Linda Rice to go a perfect 3 3-0-0. There appeared to be cause for a DQ in the finale but stewards ruled in favor of the original result which gave Ortiz-Rice their third win.
  • John Velazquez suffered a wrist injury but nothing else was mentioned pertaining to riding later this week. He was off his mounts Thursday.

Finger Lakes (New York):
  • Canceled: The card was canceled mid-afternoon beginning with Race 4. Jockey Oscar Gomez was injured in the starting gate and that necessitated a trip to an area hospital. The horse was uninjured. However, due to safety concerns pertaining to the ambulance and medical availabilities, jockeys opted not to race the remainder of the card.
Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • Race 12: Indy Again (Ruben Silvera/Jamie Ness) won the finale. A rare time the #16 wins at any track, I don't recall the most time in Philly. Ness has hit the board 10 of his past 13 races.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1690416107419.png

Saturday's card at Saratoga features the Jim Dandy. FOX-TV will air a 3-hour window from 3-6:00 pm ET.

Race #PurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
Race 1$136,500Maiden Special Weight1 1/16 MilesTurf812:40 PM ET
Race 2$156,000Allowance Optional Claiming6 FurlongsDirt81:11 PM ET
Race 3$50,000Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsTurf151:44 PM ET
Race 4$52,000Maiden Claiming6 FurlongsDirt122:16 PM ET
Race 5$156,000Allowance Optional Claiming7 FurlongsDirt72:46 PM ET
Race 6$88,000Maiden Special Weight1 1/16 MilesTurf153:18 PM ET
Race 7$136,500Maiden Special Weight6 1/2 FurlongsDirt123:52 PM ET
Race 8$350,000Alfred G. Vanderbilt H.6 FurlongsDirt74:26 PM ET
Race 9$149,500Allowance1 MileTurf165:02 PM ET
Race 10$500,000Jim Dandy S. Presented by DK Horse1 1/8 MilesDirt55:45 PM ET
Race 11$95,000Allowance5 1/2 FurlongsTurf146:19 PM ET
Race 12$136,500Maiden Special Weight1 3/8 MilesTurf136:52 PM ET

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1690416079017.png

San Diego Handicap and Bing Crosby Stakes have large fields at Del Mar on Saturday.

Bob Baffert will send out two first-timers in the opening race: one cost $30,000 (yes, $30,000) and the other $575,000.

Race 1$82,000Maiden Special Weight5 1/2 FurlongsDirt62:00 PM PT
Race 2$84,000Allowance Optional Claiming5 FurlongsTurf102:30 PM PT
Race 3$82,000Maiden Special Weight5 FurlongsDirt123:00 PM PT
Race 4$34,000Claiming1 MileDirt113:30 PM PT
Race 5$82,000Maiden Special Weight1 MileTurf104:00 PM PT
Race 6$30,000Claiming6 1/2 FurlongsDirt124:30 PM PT
Race 7$46,000Maiden Claiming1 1/16 MilesTurf155:00 PM PT
Race 8$300,000San Diego H.1 1/16 MilesDirt105:30 PM PT
Race 9$83,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MileTurf146:00 PM PT
Race 10$400,000Bing Crosby S.6 FurlongsDirt126:30 PM PT
Race 11$82,000Maiden Special Weight1 MileTurf167:00 PM PT

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Cancellations:
  • Thursday: Woodbine.
  • Friday: Woodbine, Ellis, Laurel, Colonial, Belterra.
    • Wheeling (dogs).
  • Saturday: Ellis, Colonial, Delaware.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thursday, July 27, 2023
  • Rest In Peace, Larry Bates. A trainer at Gulfstream, he recorded his first win at Calder in 1993. He was in his upper 70s at the time of his passing and entered horses as recently as earlier this month.
1690504498291.png
Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $17 million.
  • Tyler Gaffalione rode three winners.
  • Jose Ortiz-Linda Rice won once in four tries. Rice, the meet leader in training wins, has won six of her past nine races when one of the Ortiz brothers rides.
  • Race 8: Next (Luan Machado/William Cowans) romped by more than 11 lengths in winning the $150,000 Birdstone Stakes. Next improved to eight wins in 18 starts including 13 tries at Kentucky tracks and 2-for-3 at NYRA. The jockey and trainer are infrequent visitors to the circuit.

• Race 7: Irad Ortiz, Jr. was DQ'd from victory. He currently has 10 more wins at this meet than his closest challenger.
Delaware Park (Delaware):
  • Jaime Rodriguez-Jamie Ness teamed four times and finished 4 3-1-0. They have won six of their past eight as a tandem. Ness is attempting to win 300+ races for a third straight year. He recently reached 4,000 lifetime wins.
Colonial Downs (Virginia):
  • Race 2: Dewy's Beast (Antonio Gallardo/Kelsey Danner) won as the only starter with a race under his belt. The margin of victory was a staggering 12 lengths.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Woodbine's card on Sunday, July 30, is enormous.
1690508171489.png

Race 1$111,000Allowance Optional Claiming6 FurlongsTurf71:05 PM ET
Race 2$65,900Maiden Optional Claiming5 FurlongsTurf91:37 PM ET
Race 3$100,000Lake Superior S.6 FurlongsTurf52:09 PM ET
Race 4$65,900Maiden Optional Claiming1 1/16 MilesTurf92:42 PM ET
Race 5$111,600Maiden Special Weight6 FurlongsAll Weather Track103:15 PM ET
Race 6$100,000Thunder Bay S.6 FurlongsTurf73:48 PM ET
Race 7$49,600Maiden Optional Claiming6 FurlongsAll Weather Track104:21 PM ET
Race 8$111,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 1/16 MilesTurf124:54 PM ET
Race 9$111,600Maiden Special Weight7 FurlongsTurf95:27 PM ET
Race 10$114,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 1/16 MilesTurf115:59 PM ET
Race 11$111,600Maiden Special Weight1 1/16 MilesAll Weather Track106:29 PM ET
Race 12$61,800Optional Claiming1 1/16 MilesTurf116:59 PM ET
Race 13$65,900Maiden Optional Claiming6 1/2 FurlongsAll Weather Track117:29 PM ET
Race 14$40,200Claiming1 1/16 MilesTurf127:59 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad