I have serious concerns for next year (2023-24)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I don't like moves Treliving has made so far

I don't like MM is still on the team, he should have been traded

I don't like AM still doesn't have a contact (I really don't like how AM is so adverse to long term contracts)

I don't like the defense AT ALL

I'd say my biggest concern is this team is going to be too complacent and I think there is a real chance Toronto might actually miss the playoffs

I have never been this low on the team, at least when Toronto was tanking we could look forward to the future, what do we have to look forward to now? Toronto hasn't done ANYTHING with this core, why should I think this year will be any different?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'll bet you right now the Leafs will finish as a top 3 team in the regular season, absolutely no chance they miss playoffs unless there are multiple catastrophic injuries. I'm talking season ending injuries to guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares.

I'm dropping an early bet that Leafs win the presidents trophy, we've been an elite regular season team for like 5-6 years now, our division got much weaker.

This year will be different for a couple of reasons, for the first time we have a different GM with a different philosophy. We've never had a true 1LW before, we added Bertuzzi.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i guess for some it is....

likely participation award recipients. I'll take a wildcard spot if that means we can get somewhere in the playoffs.

Wilcard and deep playoff runs vs regular season success and no playoff success is a false dichotomy.

Regular season success implies that your team is high quality and has a legitimate chance to challenge for a championship. When you don't, there's the belief that you need to solve for a relatively small piece of the equation to win the whole thing. No guarantee you figure it out.

A mid tier team that goes on deeper runs sounds okay on the surface, but what holds a team back from being good in the regular season will also catch up with them the deeper they go in the playoffs. Canadiens in 2021, Panthers in 2023 are good examples of subpar regular season teams that go on long runs by run out of gas.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I didn't say wildcard teams win. [MOD]

I said I'd rather see entering the playoffs via wildcard and achieving playoff success vs regular season success and lack of playoff success (read: Kyle era).

At this stage, it’s really not.

I could care less how many points we end up with this year as long as they make the playoffs.

We sucked ass at home anyway this past playoffs.

it's almost like the fanbase is split in two.

who cares about regular season wins/points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think very highly of BT, but they aren't missing the playoffs unless they get decimated by injuries. I don't think they'll do anything in the playoffs, but that's nothing new

Reactions: saffronleaf

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There could be lots of storylines to keep people interested in the Leafs this season; the contract situations, Keefe watch, Reaves, cap issues, Knies, Domi, Bertuzzi, Woll to name some.

As of this moment I think they’ll make the playoffs, but I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I didn't say wildcard teams win. (man, some of you folks have zero reading comprehension).

I said I'd rather see entering the playoffs via wildcard and achieving playoff success vs regular season success and lack of playoff success (read: Kyle shitstain era).

it's almost like the fanbase is split in two.

who cares about regular season wins/points.

I never said you specifically wrote that wildcard teams win. Maybe you should learn to comprehend what YOU are reading. Just because I put something in my response to you doesn’t inherently mean you directly said it. It’s supporting information to a conclusion.

You DID however say “get somewhere in the playoffs”. If the goal is to not give out ‘participation trophies’, it’s really all or nothing so maybe show some consistency. If the regular season doesn’t matter, losing in round 3 doesn’t really either. Both the teams the lose round 1 and round 3 failed to achieve the same ultimate goal.

Regular season matters. The ultimate goal of winning 4 rounds matters more. None of this should be controversial

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think very highly of BT, but they aren't missing the playoffs unless they get decimated by injuries. I don't think they'll do anything in the playoffs, but that's nothing new
Buffalo, Det and Ottawa are not guaranteed to make the playoffs yet, so it’s safe to say the Leafs get in.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
At this stage, it’s really not.

I could care less how many points we end up with this year as long as they make the playoffs.

We sucked ass at home anyway these past playoffs.

It is, and it’s not really debatable. I don’t think winning the presidents trophy or even our division matters, but regular season success unequivocally does.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I never said you specifically wrote that wildcard teams win. Maybe you should learn to comprehend what YOU are reading. Just because I put something in my response to you doesn’t inherently mean you directly said it. It’s supporting information to a conclusion.

You DID however say “get somewhere in the playoffs”. If the goal is to not give out ‘participation trophies’, it’s really all or nothing so maybe show some consistency. If the regular season doesn’t matter, losing in round 3 doesn’t really either. Both the teams the lose round 1 and round 3 failed to achieve the same ultimate goal.

Regular season matters. The ultimate goal of winning 4 rounds matters more. None of this should be controversial
I appreciate that you don't understand it, but losing in the third round of the playoffs IS indeed different than the first round.

maybe one day you'll experience losing in the third round - then you'll understand.

Until then, enjoy your regular season hope.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I like the forwards. I hate everything else.
Some forwards and Woll.

A lot of things can change, but I think will be the last year they make the playoffs for a few seasons.

I appreciate that you don't understand it, but losing in the third round of the playoffs IS indeed different than the first round.

maybe one day you'll experience losing in the third round - then you'll understand.

Third round is likely the ceiling for this group., but it’s hard to get there.

Reactions: Canadian Finn

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I never claimed there is no difference. I said, if you have have an issue with participation trophies than the results of only one team actually matter. There’s that reading comprehension thing again there eh? I can be condescending too.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

That guy just doesn’t get it. I wouldn’t waste your time.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I never claimed there is no difference. I said, if you have have an issue with participation trophies than the results of only one team actually matter. There’s that reading comprehension thing again there eh? I can be condescending too.
at least by being condescending, you are being something...

so, congrats.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Mods - Please consider merging.
Thx

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I understand what he’s saying perfectly fine. He’s just wrong and quite ironically misunderstanding what it is I am saying.

Stating that losing in the 3rd round is the same as the 1st is where you lose the plot here and what I was referring to.

Yeah of course you don’t win the cup either way but there is a big difference between a long playoff run and flaming out year after year in the 1st.

I’m not gonna argue with you about this. I know it won’t go anywhere so I’ll just leave it at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad