OT: I Am Not Feeling Excited For Next Year

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
For some reason there's 0 hype, 0 excitement heading into 24/25. This is probably the bleakest situation since 21/22.At least over the last couple years there were some moves made to create some excitement.

Feels like another typical 78-82 point year, with another playoff miss.

I am eager to see how our goaltending is such Ullmark, but it stops right there.
YOu're so wrong.
Last year stats:
PK 28th
PP 22nd
GA 28th
Save% LAST
OT loss LAST

Team defense will be better so we'll get more victories and more OT loss & looser points and a few more OT wins.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think you should create a poll on the main boards about the hype level each fanbase has about the upcoming season.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don't understand. Stutzle and Sanderson ARE the cornerstones of our rebuild. They just got drafted 4 years ago.

The Florida Panthers just won the Stanley Cup with the only notable players they've drafted for that Cup winning team being Barkov, (drafted 2013)Ekblad (drafted 2014) and Lundell(same draft as our guys)

That's exactly what I said... They are the cornerstones...

Florida changed their whole team from 2013-2014 era...which is exactly what I suggested the sens do from this era.

Keep your stutzles and Sanderson's...sell off the rest..rebuild with a totally different build and core so we can win 5-8 years from now with a properly built core.

I think we're saying the same thing.

How many guys do we have that can PK?

Giroux, Greig, maybe Pinto. I know Norris and Stutzle have done it in the past as well, but we need another PKer in the bottom 6 IMO.

It's not just about having guys who can PK. It's about who can Excell at PK? Having an average PK isn't going to help a lot. We should strive for a top 5 PK.

It's something you can achieve through structure and don't need super flashy players, although having a flashy player on the PK can often help, too.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
So? In the past you could be super excited boasting about the team's lineup and chances to win the cup. There was excitement in July..

I'm pretty sure the hockey news predicted us to win the cup after we signed Hasek. July and August was full of big hockey magazines making their annual predictions. Me and my friends would be making mock up lineups and making individual stat predictions for every player. We'd get all excited.

There isn't any excitement about the Ottawa Senators in 2024 lol.

I'm excited for the season, and I'm sure there are other people out there who are excited, too. I just don't expect the rest of the world to be all hyped and excited when it's late July, the industry is largely shut down, and people are focused on other things.

Do you lament a lack of Christmas cheer in September? No, it's September.

Reactions: LiseL and aragorn

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Florida changed their whole team from 2013-2014 era...which is exactly what I suggested the sens do from this era.

Keep your stutzles and Sanderson's...sell off the rest..rebuild with a totally different build and core so we can win 5-8 years from now with a properly built core
Those 2 wouldn’t want to hang around for 5-8 years, wouldn’t blame them, if telling them starting rebuild over.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why would they start a rebuild when they have one of the best young teams in the NHL, they are just getting started while the older young guys are just entering their prime.? Kids today, no patience. :nod::laugh::nod:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's not just about having guys who can PK. It's about who can Excell at PK? Having an average PK isn't going to help a lot. We should strive for a top 5 PK.

It's something you can achieve through structure and don't need super flashy players, although having a flashy player on the PK can often help, too.
Having a top 5 pk was an attainable goal that could be achieved through structure without the need for flashy players, every team would have one...

The reality is it's just important to get out of the bottom dozen or so, if we can get our pk running around 79-81%, which would have ranked 9-19th, it would have shaved off 10-15 goals against.

Most important part of a PK is the goalie, we addressed that. Imo next is the D, and I think we've addressed that too.

Edit. Getting the PP to 20% (22nd) and PK to 80% (12th) would make an 18 goal swing for us over last year.

Last edited:

thammias

Feb 8, 2006

Keep your stutzles and Sanderson's...sell off the rest..rebuild with a totally different build and core so we can win 5-8 years from now with a properly built core.

I guess it's just semantics but I'm just saying I don't think we need a "rebuild" of our rebuild or can consider it a failure yet if the cornerstone pieces are just starting to come into their own now. I think we'll know more after this season if we get proper goaltending.

Players like Chabot, Batherson and Tkachuk were technically not drafted as part of the teardown and rebuild as they were all drafted when we still had Karlsson, Duchene, Stone etc...on the team.

Now we can argue if they fit along side our two cornerstones going forward but that's a different take then the rebuild has failed.

Reactions: aragorn

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
8y2jz4.jpg

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm excited for the season, and I'm sure there are other people out there who are excited, too. I just don't expect the rest of the world to be all hyped and excited when it's late July, the industry is largely shut down, and people are focused on other things.

Do you lament a lack of Christmas cheer in September? No, it's September.

I will play Christmas music when I get home to double down on my point! Lol

*Grudgingly buys Christmas gifts for everyone*

Reactions: Senator Stanley

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Those 2 wouldn’t want to hang around for 5-8 years, wouldn’t blame them, if telling them starting rebuild over.

But the guys on the example listed did do exactly that.

I guess it's just semantics but I'm just saying I don't think we need a "rebuild" of our rebuild or can consider it a failure yet if the cornerstone pieces are just starting to come into their own now. I think we'll know more after this season if we get proper goaltending.

Players like Chabot, Batherson and Tkachuk were technically not drafted as part of the teardown and rebuild as they were all drafted when we still had Karlsson, Duchene, Stone etc...on the team.

Now we can argue if they fit along side our two cornerstones going forward but that's a different take then the rebuild has failed.

Call it a retool then. But like you said, 75% of the guys who are here now probably won't be here if we were to be a contender in 4-6 years or something. (Like how Florida,listed earlier, changed a lot from the time they got some of their core vets drafted)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There was a point?

Sandy and Stu are part of the rebuild, if you said Karl or Stone, then you’d have a point.
Huh? That's exactly what I said...they are part of the rebuild.

Now I see why you weren't seeing my point earlier. I thought I made it clear that they were part of this team multiple times...

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I don't understand. Stutzle and Sanderson ARE the cornerstones of our rebuild. They just got drafted 4 years ago.

The Florida Panthers just won the Stanley Cup with the only notable players they've drafted for that Cup winning team being Barkov, (drafted 2013)Ekblad (drafted 2014) and Lundell(same draft as our guys)
Unfair comparison with Florida being a top destination for UFA's, something Ottawa won't be until we're contenders and even then, being a cold Canadian small market destination will always be a factor.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Huh? That's exactly what I said...they are part of the rebuild.
They’re part of the current rebuild,
What you’re proposing is if Stone and Karl stayed onboard for this current rebuild.
Stu and Sandy would want out, once told, hey we want to rebuild again.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm not hyped at all, but I've got a healthy level of optimism relative to previous years.

With Cat and Chych I thought we could outscore our deficiencies, but we now have the most complete Sens roster we've ever had. It's not sexy, but barring any major prolonged injuries, we're in a position to be competitive all year long.

Oh yeah, no DJ or Dorion, so we literally can't get worse lol

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you kept last year's team together,. warts and all, and simply inputted Ullmar, that would have been a playoff team. Damn right I'm excited plus addign character and starting right out of the gate with Tim, Josh and Shane. Can't wait

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
The biggest factors for my excitement are Josh Norris and team defence.

On Norris- if he can return to that goal scorer we know he can be, this will be a huge boost for our special teams. He seemed a little timid when he came back last year and in his head a lot, here’s hoping he is ready.

Team Defence- pretty self explanatory

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Why is Stutzle the cornerston & not Tkachuk who over the last number of yrs has been their best player? Or have all three as cornerstones. Stutzle is erractic with his play at times & while he is an offensive dynamo he can also be quite shitty defensively & a cry baby when things don't go his way. He is not great at protecting the puck either & takes way too many risks & last yr cost us a number of games losing the puck through risky plays. I expect that should improve with maturity, but he is one of those players that will be targeted which is going to make it difficult for him to excel offensively, especially in the playoffs.

Sens management are commited to the team they have now & there is no way they are going through another rebuild with such a young team they already have. They will tweak it as need be, but Staois has already made numerous changes to their lineup this summer. Every team is trying to improve their special teams, goaltending, their offensive output & trying to be better defensively & much harder to play against, the Sens are no different. It's finding the right players in the right positions that can play a complete structured game, but nothing in sports comes with guarantees. That's what's great about sports, anyone can win at any time, but consistency is the key. This team has looked great in some games & crappy in others, they need consistency & structure & the players buying into their system which is easier said than done.

Last edited:

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Why is Stutzle the cornerston & not Tkachuk who over the last number of yrs has been their best player? Or have all three as cornerstones. Stutzle is erractic with his play at times & while he is an offensive dynamo he can also be quite shitty defensively & a cry baby when things don't go his way. He is not great at protecting the puck either & takes way too many risks & last yr cost us a number of games losing the puck through risky plays. I expect that should improve with maturity, but he is one of those players that will be targeted which is going to make it difficult for him to excel offensively, especially in the playoffs.

Sens management are commited to the team they have now & there is no way they are going through another rebuild with such a young team they already have. They will tweak it as need be, but Staois has already made numerous changes to their lineup this summer. Every team is trying to improve their special teams, goaltending, their offensive output & trying to be better defensively & much harder to play against, the Sens are no different. It's finding the right players in the right positions that can play a complete structured game, but nothing in sports comes with guarantees. That's what's great about sports, anyone can win at any time, but consistency is the key. This team has looked great in some games & crappy in others, they need consistency & structure & the players buying into their system which is easier said than done.
In recent interviews (Brady on Locked on Sens and Pinto on a Boston podcast), Brady talked about playing the right way, Pinto stated no more excuses, needed to be consistent so it seems that the captain and some players are buying in. With the addition of vets who have won and also play the right way, I think any player who strays from that message will be dealt with in the locker room, which is what you want. Yes, the coach should be stating the same message, but until the players buy in and call each other out when they don't, it will fall on deaf ears. Long story short, I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'd say the captain is definitely a cornerstone, and I imagine Staios would agree the way he's talked about him.

Sanderson, Stützle and Tkachuk is one hell of a core to build around imo,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad