OT: I Am Not Feeling Excited For Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not a surprise, our season sinks or swim with Ullmark, and right now he's just a rental. Even if he plays well we're not likely a playoff team. Nothing to be excited about when your key additions are Perron, Jensen and Green. I'll be a little more optimistic if Ullmark extends and works out, but barring that, we're likely looking at a retool the following season and a core shakeup. This feels like a transition year more than anything unfortunately, not expecting much just trending sideways.
Dorion traded away too many picks and we are now short of young talent on ELCs. We need to get "LUCKY" fast!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He will just be turning 34 when the season starts.

Guys diminish, but defensive D are more about smarts and positioning than any overwhelming skill. Having wheels always helps, but the talk of him falling off a cliff just screams of Sens fan insecurities.

Generally speaking, I thunk the make up of our team is much better this year than last, even if we end up slightly less skilled. I am not sure we are less skilled, BTW, just saying I think we have a better makeup.
Time will tell.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am already putting Norris in the positive category.

If he shows up and is unable to practice and seems tentative, then I will worry. If he says he feels good and the shoulder is better than last year, then I think we see a different player.

I also think we should keep him at C, especially if he comes back without limitations. 3 strong lines with that depth in the middle would be great to finally see together for a while.
Wishful thinking similar to last season. I hope Norris comes back fully healthy and able to play at or better than at anytime in the past. I have doubts though. I hope he can play C but if not then try him on wing for awhile until he feels ready to play C.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’m not that concerned anymore about Norris, after listening to Drake interview.
He said Norris seems fine now when he talks to him, wasn’t the impression he got last year. Also said he’s been golfing, wasn’t doing that last year.
Also said Norris something along the lines. Norris doesn’t seem concerned this year, which is different than last year.

Drake seemed much more confident in Norris for this year than last year.
Golf is not hockey!

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I agree completely. Lots of factors leaning in favor of it like him saying he wants to be a clear #1 and all the teams he blocked already. Only so many jobs and big contracts. I'm very optimistic about Ullmark staying, but until it's done it's hard to blame the worriers. I think the team collapsing is probably the biggest threat to him not re-signing, but I'm confident they won't (in large part because of him) and if that happens they'll have bigger issues anyways.

I'm just so stoked SS didn't sit on his hands and hope for the best from Korpisalo. He's not it. SS bought a lot of goodwill from me for saying upgrading goaltending was his number 1 priority this offseason.
I also agree with his other 2 priorities: fixing roster construction issues (acquired RD) and bringing in vets to help youngsters develop a winning culture. I am very impressed with what he managed to do with what he had to work with. He may be a rookie, but seems to know what he's doing.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Thanks tips, you do need to rotate your shoulders during the 4-5 hours though.

I’m going by what Drake said about him, compared to last year at this time. Sounds quite positive from Drake.
I believe Brady also talked about Norris as well during one of his interviews. Can't remember if it was the one with Locked on Senators or CIH, but he seemed to indicate that Josh was doing well after the surgery. They are his buddies and would know more than us. If he was still iffy, I don't think either of them would've said anything.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yep, the key point being players say he is way ahead last years pace, when they compare talking to him, last year vs this year.
Glad to hear that. I hope he does come to camp prepared to play a full game rather than shying away from physical play. It might take a few months though for him to feel comfortable and confident to do so.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I also agree with his other 2 priorities: fixing roster construction issues (acquired RD) and bringing in vets to help youngsters develop a winning culture. I am very impressed with what he managed to do with what he had to work with. He may be a rookie, but seems to know what he's doing.
I agree. I think he made the best of a pretty tough situation. I can understand some still being skeptical, but I think SS did well with what he had to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad