Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
This exactly. Game 6 will matter.
He's got 12 points in the series and 42 for the entire playoffs if he doesn't win it at this point the league should just fold itself. Hes got nearly double the amount of a points of the next highest scorer not on his own team and still has a 10 point lead in that regard. If he doesn't win it it'll be upper there with screwing Mario out of his hart.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I know stats aren't the be-all-end-all, but in this case, there's just too wide a gap in production between McDavid (42 points) and Barkov (21 points) for this to even be a legitimate discussion.
What was the gap when Gretzky hit his? Or Lemieux?

That will be the difference, I'm drunk and definitely can't do the math

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Will depend on game 6 I think. He's really strengthened his case and put the team on his back these last 2 games. He's also weakened Bob's and Barkov's cases by doing so. That being said, Bob stands on his head and gets a shut out in game 6 and the narrative will change fast...

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
What was the gap when Gretzky hit his? Or Lemieux?

That will be the difference, I'm drunk and definitely can't do the math

Gretzky in 84-85: 47 points in 18 games --> Next closest: Coffey with 37 points in 18 games
(10 point lead over second place)

Lemieux in 90-91: 44 points in 23 games --> Next closest: Recchi with 34 points in 24 games

Gretzky in 87-88: 43 points in 19 games --> Next closest: Messier with 34 points in 19 games
(9 point lead over second place)

McDavid in 23-24: 42 points in 23 games --> Next closest: Bouchard with 32 points in 23 games

So yeah, McDavid's current run is right there with peak Gretzky and Lemieux .

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid is literally DOMINATING the competition for the Smythe. Doing historic things like beating Wayne’s alll time records.

There is NO argument for anyone besides McDavid. None. If you think being good defensively and putting up less than half of the production is equal to McDavid, sorry, you just don’t know hockey. And don’t even get me started on Belly Flop Bob, 2 of the worst SCFs performances back to back of all time.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I was critical of McDavid putting up a bunch of points in blowout games when his production had no tangible impact on the games. Him putting up 2 points at the end of game 4 when the game was 6-1 is a prime example of that, those points are completely valueless and are purely stat padding stats. At the same time, he completely showed up tonight and dominated non-stop in an ultra close game. I'm completely willing to give McDavid credit for dominating when he deserves it, and tonight was a prime example of that.

I'm not going to give him credit for farming points in blowout games, but I'll absolutely give him credit for dominating in close games. I don't see how that's even remotely controversial. Just like I said when the last time you responded, there is a monumental difference between putting up 4 points in a 4-3 win versus putting up 4 points in an 8-1 win. What McDavid did tonight was the former, what he did in game 4 was the latter.

My issue with that is, Bobrovsky has looked super human up until that point. He did pile up the points in a blowout, but that blowout may have such a ripple effect that the Bobrovsky we saw in the 1st 3 games is gone, if that makes sense.

Hate the team, but can't hate the player. McDavid is doing laps around everyone else regarding just how much better he is than his peers.

Last edited:

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
If the Oilers win game 6 it's his no matter game 7 result. If they loose game 6 but he still gets a couple pts it's still a maybe

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
No, he’s had a good playoffs but not good enough to win it in a losing effort
"Had a good playoffs".... Good? Did you see the names Wayne and Mario next to him as the best playoff performances of all time. I doubt he wins it if Edmonton loses, but it's a lot closer than any of you are willing to admit.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think the last couple of games is really solidifying his case.

He is just obliterating the field. 10 points ahead of his next teammate. And 20 points ahead of his closest opponent.

He's entered the 40 point club where I believe only Mario and Wayne's best efforts sit.

He's my pick right now, win or lose.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It´s one of the best playoff runs ever against competition that is nothing special.

How is this even a discussion anymore?

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
At this point McDavid should win the Smythe regardless of the outcome.
Insane playoff performance, if the series gets to 7 he'll beat Gretzky's record.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I was critical of McDavid putting up a bunch of points in blowout games when his production had no tangible impact on the games. Him putting up 2 points at the end of game 4 when the game was 6-1 is a prime example of that, those points are completely valueless and are purely stat padding stats. At the same time, he completely showed up tonight and dominated non-stop in an ultra close game. I'm completely willing to give McDavid credit for dominating when he deserves it, and tonight was a prime example of that.

I'm not going to give him credit for farming points in blowout games, but I'll absolutely give him credit for dominating in close games. I don't see how that's even remotely controversial. Just like I said when the last time you responded, there is a monumental difference between putting up 4 points in a 4-3 win versus putting up 4 points in an 8-1 win. What McDavid did tonight was the former, what he did in game 4 was the latter.
This may be the dumbest argument of this post season.

Do you think either team stops playing when there is any chance of winning in a SCF?

Did you not see what can happen with a 3 point lead last night? Twice!

McDavid is "farming" points!...WTF?

Gretzky in 84-85: 47 points in 18 games --> Next closest: Coffey with 37 points in 18 games

Lemieux in 90-91: 44 points in 23 games --> Next closest: Recchi with 34 points in 24 games

Gretzky in 87-88: 43 points in 19 games --> Next closest: Messier with 34 points in 19 games

McDavid in 23-24: 42 points in 23 games --> Next closest: Bouchard with 32 points in 23 games

I think the best comparison would be against non-teammates.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With that point total and eight points in two elimination games, I'd bet on him.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
This shouldn't even be a question. Bob's overall playoff performance just isn't good enough and Barkov's case just disappears when you compare him against McDavid. In a world where his stongest competition would be Conn Smythe winning Marchessault, O'Reilly, or Justin Williams, sure. This is McDavid doing peak Gretzky and Lemieux things though. Barkov is, in no way, shape, or form, even remotely close to his level.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

What jarred me about this list was the reminder of how much other talent those players were surrounded with. Bouchard is a good player, but without McDavid does he even have half that many points?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
At this point McDavid should win the Smythe regardless of the outcome.
Insane playoff performance, if the series gets to 7 he'll beat Gretzky's record.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of giving it to a player on the losing team, but as things stands, there's nobody on Florida who's excelled enough individually to justify not giving it to McDavid.

I thought Bob was going to get it if they eliminated them in 4 or 5 games, but two blowup performances in elimination games is enough to remove him from contention I think, unless he steals the clinching game, a 50-shot shutout or something. He's now down to a .906 SV%, there's now a possibility Skinner ends the playoffs with a higher save percentage, which seemed impossible after Game 3 of the series.

I have massive respect for Barkov, and I get Tkachuk is point per game doing the things he does, but McDavid only has one less point then the two of them combined, it's VERY hard to ignore that.

Reactions: cupface52 and zar

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
If the Oilers win game 6 it's his no matter game 7 result. If they loose game 6 but he still gets a couple pts it's still a maybe
Only if maybe means 99.9%

A couple more would have him at 44 points and the 2nd best playoff output ever behind only Gretzky '85.
If that's not a historic performance, I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad