Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I think who wins the Conn Smythe really depends on how this series ends. Does it go to 7 where McDavid continues to produce well? I think it's his. Does it end in game 6 with a Bob shutout and an easy Panthers win? I think Bob gets it. I don't think 2 shitty games for Bobrovsky in games 4 and 5 will matter if he ends up putting up a good game in game 6.

If it goes to 7, I'd have a hard time arguing against McDavid though, even if the Oilers lose game 7. Coming back from down 3-0 while putting up 6 points in 2 games so far can't be understated, especially with how pedestrian Draisaitl has looked.
This exactly. Game 6 will matter.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Even if Florida ends up winning, these last 2 stinkers by Bob pull him out of the race.

So then it would be Barkov vs Mcdavid.

I think Mcdavid single handedly dragging Edmonton back in the series while draisaitl is struggling is enough to give Mcdavid the smythe, win or lose.

Reactions: ruaware41

Boner Champ

Feb 22, 2014
I guess if Bob stops 40 shots for a 1-0 shutout win in game 6 or something then maybe him. But McD has to be the odds-on favorite right now win or lose.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
mcdavid with 42 points jsut 5 back of gretzky for the all time record

its a given now that he is a lock for Smythe regardless of who wins the cup

Reactions: Peltz

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I would usually believe the Smythe should go to a player of the winning team but McDavid would be one of those exceptions. He's just been so far superior to anyone else in these playoffs.
He’s putting up historical numbers. He’ll win it without a doubt.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Even if Florida ends up winning, these last 2 stinkers by Bob pull him out of the race.

I think Mcdavid single handedly dragging Edmonton back in the series while draisaitl is struggling is enough to give Mcdavid the smythe, win or lose.

I know stats aren't the be-all-end-all, but in this case, there's just too wide a gap in production between McDavid (42 points) and Barkov (21 points) for this to even be a legitimate discussion.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think who wins the Conn Smythe really depends on how this series ends. Does it go to 7 where McDavid continues to produce well? I think it's his. Does it end in game 6 with a Bob shutout and an easy Panthers win? I think Bob gets it. I don't think 2 shitty games for Bobrovsky in games 4 and 5 will matter if he ends up putting up a good game in game 6.

If it goes to 7, I'd have a hard time arguing against McDavid though, even if the Oilers lose game 7. Coming back from down 3-0 while putting up 6 points in 2 games so far can't be understated, especially with how pedestrian Draisaitl has looked.

I look forward of your breakdown tomorrow of why McDavid's points in last night's game didn't matter this time. So far, you've said:

Game 3 - Oilers lost, so McDavid trying to mount a 4-1 comeback in the third period with 2 points to make it 4-3 was unecessary.

Game 4 - Oilers didn't need his points, they would have won anyways, so he shouldn't have bothered scoring 4 points.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Why is it a stinker by Bob, and not Barkov (as well)?

Barkov is a combined -4 in the 2 elimination games vs the Oilers so far, and is now a -4 in the last 2 rounds.

The only thing evident thus far is the Panthers haven't been able to beat the Oilers unless Bob was playing at an insane level. Why Barkov gets credit for this, is beyond me.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
I know stats aren't the be-all-end-all, but in this case, there's just too wide a gap in production between McDavid (42 points) and Barkov (21 points) for this to even be a legitimate discussion.
And for a guy whose suppose to win it on his Defensive game I’m surprised Barkov isn’t even a plus these playoffs

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Barkov is a combined -4 in the 2 elimination games vs the Oilers so far, and is now a -4 in the last 2 rounds.

The only thing evident thus far is the Panthers haven't been able to beat the Oilers unless Bob was playing at an insane level. Why Barkov gets credit for this, is beyond me.

100% true. Bob won ganes 1 and 3. When Bob isn't on the Cats have zero answers for McDavid and co. They were generating tons of high quality chances and Barkov couldn't do anything about it. Bob was making the saves and keeping them in the W column. Barkov has been overrated this entire series.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Barkov went from underrated to slightly overrated.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Anyone competing for the Connor Smythe Trophy this year besides McDavid? Throw in some names, come on.

What, no one? Alright hmm

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
For all the talk of certain points not really mattering, I'd say FLA showed in Game Five why goals to put a team ahead by three, four or even five goals can be important.

The score was 2-0 when McDavid scored his first goal. He makes it 3-0. FLA scored to make it 3-1. He then assists on Perry's goal that makes the score 4-1. At the time, EDM appears to be in cruise control. But that goal ends up being the game winner and FLA applied a lot of pressure late in the game.

It's best to avoid situations like that altogether. McDavid's goal in Game Four gave his team a three goal lead as well, and I'd say even Nurse's goal (that he assisted on) wasn't meaningless. That one basically broke FLA's back. The other two points were overkill, but you shouldn't take your foot off the pedal.

In Game Three, I think both of his assists were important as the Oilers made an attempted comeback of their own. He also set up McLeod for a good scoring chance from the slot after the 4-3 goal. If McLeod had scored there, it would have been a tied game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I look forward of your breakdown tomorrow of why McDavid's points in last night's game didn't matter this time. So far, you've said:

Game 3 - Oilers lost, so McDavid trying to mount a 4-1 comeback in the third period with 2 points to make it 4-3 was unecessary.

Game 4 - Oilers didn't need his points, they would have won anyways, so he shouldn't have bothered scoring 4 points.
I was critical of McDavid putting up a bunch of points in blowout games when his production had no tangible impact on the games. Him putting up 2 points at the end of game 4 when the game was 6-1 is a prime example of that, those points are completely valueless and are purely stat padding stats. At the same time, he completely showed up tonight and dominated non-stop in an ultra close game. I'm completely willing to give McDavid credit for dominating when he deserves it, and tonight was a prime example of that.

I'm not going to give him credit for farming points in blowout games, but I'll absolutely give him credit for dominating in close games. I don't see how that's even remotely controversial. Just like I said when the last time you responded, there is a monumental difference between putting up 4 points in a 4-3 win versus putting up 4 points in an 8-1 win. What McDavid did tonight was the former, what he did in game 4 was the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad