Waived: Husso on waivers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Husso sucks.. it'd nothing more than that...no way he gets claimed...maybe a team would take him at 50% plus a 3rd for "future considerations"

I think there's a few teams that might be interested with 50% retention:
- Utah, because they're trying to build a fan base
- Calgary, because they traded Markstrom
- Anaheim, because they were desperate enough to pick Reimer off waivers with Gibson on IR

The rest of the teams with cap space are trying to tank or have newly acquired goalies. Husso's contract expires this season, so it's low risk. Just a matter of money.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I think there's a few teams that might be interested with 50% retention:
- Utah, because they're trying to build a fan base
- Calgary, because they traded Markstrom
- Anaheim, because they were desperate enough to pick Reimer off waivers with Gibson on IR

The rest of the teams with cap space are trying to tank or have newly acquired goalies. Husso's contract expires this season, so it's low risk. Just a matter of money.

Verbeek doing his old pal a favour maybe. Didn't Mike Grier help his pal Chris Drury with Barclay Goodrow earlier this year?

Reactions: 14ari13

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Not too surprised. I think his strong preseason was what kept this from happening before the season started. They gave him his last chance, he blew it.

He gave up softies in the preseason too. Definitely not strong.

This is where I am. My initial reaction was ‘definitely not getting claimed.’ But then I saw a few comments/posts in the world saying he’s going to get claimed and I wondered what I was missing.

He just laid an egg and he is expensive. And has significant injury history. The attraction just can’t be much higher than rock bottom.

ECHL or a loan to a euro club.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So much for all of the Blues castaways and trades (Perron/Sunny/Kostin/Walman/Fabbri/Husso). Tank is the only one left, and he was acquired via UFA. Maybe we're finally done dumpster diving their roster to feed our Prioritytm dumpster fire.

• Love
Reactions: aar000n

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Do you think Detroit is the only team in the league with 8m tied up in 2 players they barely use?

Florida had 4.5M useless Spencer Knight and Yandle buyout caphit at last season. Won a Cup.

Oilers had 6M Jack Campbell waived and some buyout caphits at last season. Lost a Stanley Cup final.

Everybody has their problems.

Which is good on this situation, any of Wings unneeded higher caphit isn't long-term.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Per The Hockey News, with Fischer and Petry out but not going on injured reserve the Wings needed to clear a roster spot if they wanted 12 forwards against NY.

This may not be so much that they’re cutting bait with Husso as it is a calculated move that he’s unlikely to be claimed.
I think you're probably right. If Stevie wanted to jettison him, I think he would have retained 50% and sent him packing. As many goalie injuries as this team has experienced in Stevie's tenure, he probably feel more comfortable having 3 NHL experienced goalies, even if one has to play in GR.

I think Campbell going PAP may have influenced his decision, if the team loses Husso then Cossa winds up being #3 by default. No NHL experience.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
With Campbell on PAP him going to GR to backup Cossa isn't a terrible option and he is unlikely to be claimed at his full cap hit.

Getting Cossa a full year as a starter in GR is important, and I'd rather not yo/yo him for callups. Not opposed to giving him a taste later in the year, but I'd hate to see him thrown into a crazy situation that hurts his confidence. This team's D is still fairly wonky outside of Seider, and that isn't a great situation for a young goalie.

Maybe Husso can play his way back into shape/ confidence because right now its still largely shot. If he can look steady there is a chance Stevie could deal him later in the year for 25-50% and clear space to hopefully bring in a dman.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I’ve heard Darren McCarty on his show talk about Yzerman’s hatred for goalies in general lol. “He has no use for them”. I think the bottom line from Yzerman is stop the damn puck.
McCarty is clueless. Every time he opens his mouth he says something stupid

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I hope he doesn't clear, wish him the best but would be nice if the team gets to move on

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
For once, no. Lots of teams with far better defense are looking for goalie help. I think Husso is less swiss cheese with quality NHL d in front of him.

Could see Colorado taking a swing, possibly Toronto.
In his time in STL, he put up .893 and .915 seasons. He gets traded to us, and all wje see is that .919 and are excited to have a good goalie. Instead, he puts up .896 and .892 seasons. Granted, For sure, STL's defense was a bit better than ours, but as a fanbase, I think we're collectively disappointed at how this has turned out so far.

So hell, if he gets claimed, so be it. I'd rather that than he get sent to GR and take away development time from Cossa.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What? He isn't being claimed?

Weird! Thought the league knew what it was doing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad