Waived: Husso on waivers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Husso sucks.. it'd nothing more than that...no way he gets claimed...maybe a team would take him at 50% plus a 3rd for "future considerations"

I think there's a few teams that might be interested with 50% retention:
- Utah, because they're trying to build a fan base
- Calgary, because they traded Markstrom
- Anaheim, because they were desperate enough to pick Reimer off waivers with Gibson on IR

The rest of the teams with cap space are trying to tank or have newly acquired goalies. Husso's contract expires this season, so it's low risk. Just a matter of money.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I think there's a few teams that might be interested with 50% retention:
- Utah, because they're trying to build a fan base
- Calgary, because they traded Markstrom
- Anaheim, because they were desperate enough to pick Reimer off waivers with Gibson on IR

The rest of the teams with cap space are trying to tank or have newly acquired goalies. Husso's contract expires this season, so it's low risk. Just a matter of money.

Verbeek doing his old pal a favour maybe. Didn't Mike Grier help his pal Chris Drury with Barclay Goodrow earlier this year?

Reactions: 14ari13

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Not too surprised. I think his strong preseason was what kept this from happening before the season started. They gave him his last chance, he blew it.

He gave up softies in the preseason too. Definitely not strong.

This is where I am. My initial reaction was ‘definitely not getting claimed.’ But then I saw a few comments/posts in the world saying he’s going to get claimed and I wondered what I was missing.

He just laid an egg and he is expensive. And has significant injury history. The attraction just can’t be much higher than rock bottom.

ECHL or a loan to a euro club.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So much for all of the Blues castaways and trades (Perron/Sunny/Kostin/Walman/Fabbri/Husso). Tank is the only one left, and he was acquired via UFA. Maybe we're finally done dumpster diving their roster to feed our Prioritytm dumpster fire.

• Love
Reactions: aar000n

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Do you think Detroit is the only team in the league with 8m tied up in 2 players they barely use?

Florida had 4.5M useless Spencer Knight and Yandle buyout caphit at last season. Won a Cup.

Oilers had 6M Jack Campbell waived and some buyout caphits at last season. Lost a Stanley Cup final.

Everybody has their problems.

Which is good on this situation, any of Wings unneeded higher caphit isn't long-term.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Per The Hockey News, with Fischer and Petry out but not going on injured reserve the Wings needed to clear a roster spot if they wanted 12 forwards against NY.

This may not be so much that they’re cutting bait with Husso as it is a calculated move that he’s unlikely to be claimed.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Per The Hockey News, with Fischer and Petry out but not going on injured reserve the Wings needed to clear a roster spot if they wanted 12 forwards against NY.

This may not be so much that they’re cutting bait with Husso as it is a calculated move that he’s unlikely to be claimed.
I think you're probably right. If Stevie wanted to jettison him, I think he would have retained 50% and sent him packing. As many goalie injuries as this team has experienced in Stevie's tenure, he probably feel more comfortable having 3 NHL experienced goalies, even if one has to play in GR.

I think Campbell going PAP may have influenced his decision, if the team loses Husso then Cossa winds up being #3 by default. No NHL experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad