OT: Hurricanes Off Topic Lounge XI: The Numbers All Go to 11.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
So after nearly 10 (!) years, I have decided to finally correct my embouchure for my trombone. In that time, I have been playing at a 45* angle from the side of my mouth to the right.

It's painful, I'm a mediocre player anyway (that's all you need to be in the NC State Marching Band) but this is slow going...I'm 5 notes out of my range.

But I'm tired of being unable to tongue, unable to maintain clear notes, unable to get a good sound. So here we go! /music nerd rant

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Going to Toronto for the first time this weekend. Anybody have any suggestions? I'll be going to the Hockey Hall of Fame obviously.

I went in July, you could spend literally hours there.

As far as the HHOF goes, do NOT waste your time with the 3D movie. It's stupid. Stick to the history, the landmarks they've got there are pretty incredible. That being said, Tripp always made a huge deal about Commodore's bathrobe being there, but I didn't see it. It was probably only there for a little while.

Spend the majority of your time in the Trophy Room. It's like a converted cathedral with ALL the trophies. It's crazy cool. In the back corner of that room they have the Hall of Fame Book, which basically is a gigantic book with all the giant signatures of all the inductees. I went with my parents, who went to RPI with Oates, so they thought that part was the coolest.

If you're driving back, be sure to make a stop to Duff's for the best wings in the world!

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm an Anchor Bar guy myself. Why, WHY did the plans for opening the one down here have to fall through?

I've actually never been to Duff's, we went to Anchor Bar when we went up myself. I was underwhelmed, they were delicious, but I've had better.

To me, the most important part of the wing is proper skin crispiness. No one wants a slimy wing, no one wants a burnt wing. Anchor Bar made them with good chicken and the sauce was awesome, but the crispiness, while CLOSE to perfect, was helped along a bit by being slightly overdone, it tasted slightly burnt. It was a top 5 wing I've ever had, but I wouldn't say the best.

Everything I've heard says Duff's blows Anchor Bar out of the water. Travel Channel specials, reviews on Yelp, etc. I'm so excited to try them at some point. We were GOING to go to Anchor Bar and THEN Duff's, to make the call for ourselves, but after splitting 80 Anchor Bar wings with my dad we weren't really feeling like driving another 30 minutes to have two Duff's wings before we couldn't take anymore.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, apparently sometime around the 2004-2007 timeframe there were plans to open a location somewhere in Raleigh that just flat out fell through. Don't know if the owners of the possible franchise couldn't come up with the cash, or if the company just said "forget it" and changed their minds. But either way it nearly happened.

Buffalo Bros is the closest we can get down here, and while they're actually pretty decent IMO, they're NOT Anchor Bar good. Somewhere that is reviewing that it can compete with, yet alone surpass, the Anchor Bar? I'll have to check this out to see if it's hype or if it's legit.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yep, apparently sometime around the 2004-2007 timeframe there were plans to open a location somewhere in Raleigh that just flat out fell through. Don't know if the owners of the possible franchise couldn't come up with the cash, or if the company just said "forget it" and changed their minds. But either way it nearly happened.

Buffalo Bros is the closest we can get down here, and while they're actually pretty decent IMO, they're NOT Anchor Bar good. Somewhere that is reviewing that it can compete with, yet alone surpass, the Anchor Bar? I'll have to check this out to see if it's hype or if it's legit.

http://www.wivb.com/community/duffs-beats-anchor-bar-for-best-wing

That was the Food Wars episode that put Duff's on my radar. In general, when you go to Yelp, you'll obviously see good and bad reviews for both, but it tends to trend towards Duff's.

The saying is that "Anchor Bar invented the wing, and Duff's perfected it." I still haven't tried it, so I can't say so for sure, but it sure seems like Duff's has them beat.

EDIT: Also, here's the "Buffalo Eats Chicken Wing Guide," which also has Duff's in front of Anchor Bar: http://buffaloeats.org/chicken-wing-guide/

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I only recognise four of the bands on the NHL 14 soundtrack and none of the songs. :help:

Am I out of touch, or do they just keep putting bad music in these games?

Discuss :sarcasm:

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
BT6C0RSCUAA-JQz.jpg

No clue where they grabbed these figures from. If the Panthers have the cheapest beer in the league, I'm glad I've never been to any other stadiums.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, it's funny is I used to be that guy that bought every NHL game, and every NCAA game, sticking to the FIFA games when they're ramping up for the World Cup.

Now, I just can't get into the NHL games anymore, might buy one every 3 years or so. The NCAA games still draw me, and I've been increasingly buying and playing the FIFA games over the years.

Basically aside from the Madden and FIFA franchises EA Sports basically don't give a **** anymore.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
It's killing me that I have to wait until the PS4 comes out for FIFA this year because I absolutely refuse to buy it on 360 and pay for gold when it will not transfer anything to the PS version.

#FirstWorldProblems

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Killing me even more man. I'm not going to buy a PS4 or XBox 1 until a bit into the next generation when the price point goes down a bit and I see which one I'll prefer (going to be PS4, almost certainly). What I have right now more then works for me.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
But, in that case, you can just buy FIFA for 360 or ps3 and be happy about it. I already have a launch PS4 preordered and my Live Gold expired on my 360 about a month ago. Not really interested in re-upping it because I only used it for Netflix and FIFA anyway.

Can it be November 15th now?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah only question is how big the online gaming community will be for FIFA on 360 at that point. If it's anything like the last generation people are going to jump fast into the new generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad