OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The way they get around that caveat is by the mantra "We tolerate everything but intolerance" which is the result of mining this insipid tautology from leftist philosopher Karl Popper: "

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. [...] We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.”​

Nevermind, feel like my comment was gonna get me banned

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Around HFB? Maybe. But I’d say we got super open-minded mods.

I once got a warning for saying what I got warning for. It was apparently disclosure of personal information.
Same here way back when I first got on here, which I found really because it's like getting a ticket for telling someone you got a speeding ticket. Now we're both going to get a warning for mentioning we got a warning for saying we got a warning

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Around HFB? Maybe. But I’d say we got super open-minded mods.

I once got a warning for saying what I got warning for. It was apparently disclosure of personal information.

The local constabulary is pretty willing to let things slide as long as things aren't getting heated, but sometimes globals or admins drop in and have different opinions.

And the no discussion of moderation rule is just broadly ridiculous. If anything, discussing moderation lets people better understand where the lines are, which, if you want people to actually behave, is only a positive. But it is a rule, so tut tut, let's drop that line of discussion.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
The local constabulary is pretty willing to let things slide as long as things aren't getting heated, but sometimes globals or admins drop in and have different opinions.

And the no discussion of moderation rule is just broadly ridiculous. If anything, discussing moderation lets people better understand where the lines are, which, if you want people to actually behave, is only a positive. But it is a rule, so tut tut, let's drop that line of discussion.
Yea I think HFCanes for the most part is pretty chill. It's over on the HFMain that it's just like NHL officiating, fans of some franchises are allowed to get away with murder while those from "lesser" franchises can't even criticize without it being considered "flaming"

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah the last time, and I think you were included in the ban I didn't think anyone from either side said anything out of line.

The last ban wave, I assume, was due to their “No politics“ rule. Which, to be fair, I can see the reasoning behind. It’s a very violate topic, especially lately, and while I agree that no one said anything out of line, it seems like one of those rules that they have to enforce harshly because if they allow the topic to be discussed, it almost always eventually ends up in a very heated circular discussion.

That being said, as more and more aspects of everyday life apparently become “political issues”, the banning of such discussions would eventually lead to the absence of all off-topic discussion. The Chik-Fil-A post is a prime example of that. When I first posted it, politics was the last thing on my mind. I just thought it was a very weird idea that had almost no chance of success and wanted to see if others had a reasonable explanation. The initial answer was pushing far-right propaganda, which it could very well be, given Chik-Fil-A’s previous history, but Dave also provided the answer of tax manipulation, which also makes sense. And has nothing to do with politics.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
promote their agenda

the-admiral-agenda-is-dead-v0-vuas4zv7ysoc1.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad