OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Fema is complete garbage and the response would be completely different in the NJ/NY/MA area than it is in NC.

Perhaps we wouldn't spread so thin if we stopped giving money to other countries so they hate us just a little less, no? Nah. F that.
FEMA has a very long history of inadequacy under multiple administrations from both sides of the isle.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Fema is complete garbage and the response would be completely different in the NJ/NY/MA area than it is in NC.

Perhaps we wouldn't spread so thin if we stopped giving money to other countries so they hate us just a little less, no? Nah. F that.

I just can’t wrap my head around the mindset of “Oh, these people have had their lives turned upside down. My job is to help. But because they’re picking a different political party to be useless for 4 years, I’m not going to help them.”

EDIT: I’m not going to comment on the rest. Got threadbanned once already, not worth risking.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I just can’t wrap my head around the mindset of “Oh, these people have had their lives turned upside down. My job is to help. But because they’re picking a different political party to be useless for 4 years, I’m not going to help them.”

EDIT: I’m not going to comment on the rest. Got threadbanned once already, not worth risking.
Not specifically in this scenario, but in general, I have actually seen PLENTY of this happen in real-world situations...so it's not exactly far fetched or hard to imagine. But I think this is more just typical FEMA/gov't is ALWAYS horribly slow to do things due to red-tape bureaucracy

Reactions: Borsig and DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

The performance of FEMA and other federal agencies that the right doesn't like is a self fulfilling prophesy for them when they constantly vote to deny the agency the funding needed to do their jobs.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not specifically in this scenario, but in general, I have actually seen PLENTY of this happen in real-world situations...so it's not exactly far fetched or hard to imagine. But I think this is more just typical FEMA/gov't is ALWAYS horribly slow to do things due to red-tape bureaucracy

I think there's different levels of it. I understand disagreeing or arguing with those of the opposite political party. I even understand cutting those with opposing political views out of your life (though I caution that easily leads to echo chambers).

But when a disaster hits, when someone is in desperate need of aid, I like to believe humanity takes precedent over political views. I also believe that, for the most part, the government isn't withholding aid to those who MIGHT vote for the opposing party. And I say that knowing that Trump did exactly that when California was dealing with wildfires.

The most surprising election reveal to me is that husbands can accompany their wives into the voting booth in NC.

I can't imagine.

The biggest shock I've found out during this election cycle is that for many states, there's no enforcement with regards to a "faithless elector" (an elector who ignores the votes of the people they're supposed to represent and votes however they want)

38 states have laws in place preventing faithless electors from happening, but apparently half of those don't actually enforce those laws. Others don't have laws in place, but will void the vote and fine the elector for attempting it. And then a surprising number of states will simply count the vote of the elector, regardless of whether it's what the people voted for

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad