OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean, this is a nothing burger. If your tweets are public and you block someone, that person can simply open an incognito tab, pull up your Twitter, and read the tweets while not logged in (which means they can’t interact with them). So basically they’re just saying you don’t have to log out to read these tweets anymore, but folks aren’t getting any more or less access than they previously were.

If you want to be a pessimist who hates Musk and say that’s the beginning of a snowball to some other thing, fine. But the change itself seems very minor, unless I’m missing something.

Yeah for real. IDK why people get so worked up over what he does with one of the several major social media platforms. All I know is I can now post what I think without being silenced or fear of retribution.
They have an opinion on why people don't know?
Many of the folks I talked to there believe HAARP was used to geo-engineer the storm to steal their land for critical mineral mining.

Its funny that HAARP is still a thing- I remember thinking it was responsible for TWA Flight 800 being ripped apart in 1996 when the internet was still in its infancy. Which I became aware of thanks to the Montauk Project (which is the legend that spawned the show "Stranger Things")

Reactions: Borsig and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Which I became aware of thanks to the Montauk Project (which is the legend that s
Yup, and if you do a little digging, everything about that project is a little creepy. Only place I've ever seen where the front door to the facility is closed off by a 5ft thick concrete slab put there to prevent anyone from ever getting in. And yet, the military still has armed guards at the entrance. My wife's grandfather was stationed at Camp Hero after the war and they still had their house, so I got to visit a few times and, yeah. One wrong turn and you're going to have a guard with a rifle knocking on your window asking where you're going.

Which is odd for a base that was abandoned 50 years ago.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yup, and if you do a little digging, everything about that project is a little creepy. Only place I've ever seen where the front door to the facility is closed off by a 5ft thick concrete slab put there to prevent anyone from ever getting in. And yet, the military still has armed guards at the entrance. My wife's grandfather was stationed at Camp Hero after the war and they still had their house, so I got to visit a few times and, yeah. One wrong turn and you're going to have a guard with a rifle knocking on your window asking where you're going.

Which is odd for a base that was abandoned 50 years ago.
I grew up there, and explored every square inch of that base when I was in high school in the late 80s, a few years after it was "abandoned". We used to dress up in camo and sneak in at night and camp out in the old barracks. Been on top of the radar tower and went through all the bunkers, down several levels under ground.

There were guards there back then (last time I went back was 2012 and it is now a state park and you can pretty much walk around the whole area) and they'd chase us when they'd spot us. Always there were white vans parked in random places near there.

The really strange thing was there was still tons of radar and other electrical equipment still there, and had been smashed in place. Stacks of documents were in the center of rooms in the radar tower, having been burned, almost like an emergency evacuation of an embassy. Inside the bunkers, there had been fresh concrete poured, sealing off additional rooms, and the lower levels of the bunker were flooded with water.

When the book "The Montauk Project" came out in the early, 90s, I read it and was like "wow, this is really over the top". It really runs wild with the conspiracy theories. All I know is- something weird went on there, they unassed the base in a hurry, and still maintained a nominal presence there. I think the whole legend of the inter-dimensional portals, shadow beasts, and mind-control was just a psyop to cover for something more banal yet still shady.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Dolphin.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I grew up there, and explored every square inch of that base when I was in high school in the late 80s, a few years after it was "abandoned". We used to dress up in camo and sneak in at night and camp out in the old barracks. Been on top of the radar tower and went through all the bunkers, down several levels under ground.

There were guards there back then (last time I went back was 2012 and it is now a state park and you can pretty much walk around the whole area) and they'd chase us when they'd spot us. Always there were white vans parked in random places near there.

The really strange thing was there was still tons of radar and other electrical equipment still there, and had been smashed in place. Stacks of documents were in the center of rooms in the radar tower, having been burned, almost like an emergency evacuation of an embassy. Inside the bunkers, there had been fresh concrete poured, sealing off additional rooms, and the lower levels of the bunker were flooded with water.

When the book "The Montauk Project" came out in the early, 90s, I read it and was like "wow, this is really over the top". It really runs wild with the conspiracy theories. All I know is- something weird went on there, they unassed the base in a hurry, and still maintained a nominal presence there. I think the whole legend of the inter-dimensional portals, shadow beasts, and mind-control was just a psyop to cover for something more banal yet still shady.
One of the theories that I've heard about why it was all sealed off was that they were doing some kind of nuclear testing underground, and the there was still enough radiation present that it would have been unsafe to allow anyone in. All documents were burned to scrub any remaining evidence of what those tests were and there are armed guards still there because its technically still a military site due to the radiation.

Who knows, but its the one explanation that I've heard that makes the most sense, especially knowing Camp Hero was used extensively during the Cold War.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
One of the theories that I've heard about why it was all sealed off was that they were doing some kind of nuclear testing underground, and the there was still enough radiation present that it would have been unsafe to allow anyone in. All documents were burned to scrub any remaining evidence of what those tests were and there are armed guards still there because its technically still a military site due to the radiation.

Who knows, but its the one explanation that I've heard that makes the most sense, especially knowing Camp Hero was used extensively during the Cold War.

Nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons research seems like a safe bet. Somebody was playing with something they shouldn't have been and things got badly contaminated.

Knowing the kind of shit DOD was pulling in the early Cold War era, they probably decided to test the effects of prolonged radiation exposure on radar equipment and the soldiers operating it and, er, "neglected" to tell the guinea pigs what they were being subjected to.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons research seems like a safe bet. Somebody was playing with something they shouldn't have been and things got badly contaminated.

Knowing the kind of shit DOD was pulling in the early Cold War era, they probably decided to test the effects of prolonged radiation exposure on radar equipment and the soldiers operating it and, er, "neglected" to tell the guinea pigs what they were being subjected to.
Only way to truly avoid the Placebo Effect is to simply not tell someone they're being experimented on!!!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

The SW corner towns of the mountains are open for business.

The foliage at our farm up north is very nice right now as well. An unseasonably warm 78 degree day made it perfect. At night, we've seen the Hunter Supermoon, last night a meteor shower and also got a good view of the comet in the western sky. Not much light pollution around us.

Farm1.jpg

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
The scary thing is those people can vote.
So can people that want me put in federal prison for owning a Glock 17. And there are FAR more of them. There are whacko radicals on both sides.
I'm not sure they can vote after the shit I've seen out west. And without the west, Trump can't win NC. And without NC- he is done. So it is what it is.
Yeah. It's being slow rolled for a reason. Its a distinct possibility low turnout in that region could cost him NC, if it's as close as they say, and NC could in turn swing the election. The final results and voting numbers / turnout will be interesting.

I am from Appalachia, Half my life was lived out in SW VA, western nc etc.
And people have been stripping us of our land, so they can get the minerals for 150 years. Its not some conspiracy. Lithium is huge. There's all kinds of heavy metals out there.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So can people that want me put in federal prison for owning a Glock 17. And there are FAR more of them. There are whacko radicals on both sides.
Agree. There whackos on both sides that it’s scary they can vote. No argument there.

To be fair, I just want to put you in federal prison so that I won’t get cirrhosis of the liver due to the Orlov drinking games. :sarcasm:
I am from Appalachia, Half my life was lived out in SW VA, western nc etc.
And people have been stripping us of our land, so they can get the minerals for 150 years. Its not some conspiracy. Lithium is huge. There's all kinds of heavy metals out there.
Agree. Companies strip natural resources without any concern for residents since the 1800s. It was iron and copper where I grew up. It’s coal in WV. It’s fracking in PA. Lithium in Appalachia. Etc. it’s not some government plan/conspiracy, it’s companies taking advantage and the government(both parties) looking the other way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad