OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Most researched? Agree. Guy did a ton of work.

Well Written? yes and no. Ended up with no real solid conclusions and created too many conspiracy theories when he didn't have the facts to back it up and/or ran into dead ends. Very unconvincing and at the end left me thinking "That's it? All those years of investigation and that's the end?"

If one is into conspiracy theories without all the facts to back it up, then a person would probably like it more. He seemed to lead readers to conclusions they may have wanted to come to or as Bub said, a lot of insinuations.

It was an entertaining read though, just left me wanting the research to end in something concrete.

I'm sure it was fine for him though as he probably made money off of it so it was worth it

Pretty much this. It was definitely well-written in that it kept me engaged page after page. But there was just too much of that kind of thinking that goes "these two people were in the same general area around the same time, SO THEREFORE they must be involved together."

I guess the older I get the less I want of "conspiracy-type" thinking, and the more I want "here's what we know" type material. To that end, right now I'm reading "Last Second in Dallas" about the Kennedy assassination. The author makes zero allegations about who may have done what, and only discusses and analyzes the data ("What we can know," as he says) about the case, using his nearly fifty years of involvement as a criminal investigator. Unless he does go off the rails in the final two chapters, so far I recommend it.

That ends this episode of Caniac Book Club.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Pretty much this. It was definitely well-written in that it kept me engaged page after page. But there was just too much of that kind of thinking that goes "these two people were in the same general area around the same time, SO THEREFORE they must be involved together."

I guess the older I get the less I want of "conspiracy-type" thinking, and the more I want "here's what we know" type material. To that end, right now I'm reading "Last Second in Dallas" about the Kennedy assassination. The author makes zero allegations about who may have done what, and only discusses and analyzes the data ("What we can know," as he says) about the case, using his nearly fifty years of involvement as a criminal investigator. Unless he does go off the rails in the final two chapters, so far I recommend it.

That ends this episode of Caniac Book Club.
I think Kennedy was shot by the SS by accident after Oswald fired from the book suppository building. When they went to protect him, the guy behind the limo fired point blank.

Or it was the CIA.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Watching the opening ceremony right now and man is the announcing crew struggling to know when to shut the f*** up. We just have Kelly Clarkson going through an inner monologue right now and not adding anything. Just a bunch of yaaaas queen reactions

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Watching the opening ceremony right now and man is the announcing crew struggling to know when to shut the f*** up. We just have Kelly Clarkson going through an inner monologue right now and not adding anything. Just a bunch of yaaaas queen reactions
The opening ceremony is basically crap so it isn’t taking away from anything.

Reactions: skipnjump

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The opening ceremony? Really? We talkin' openin' ceremony.....openin' ceremony.....not the games but the openin' ceremony.....

Iverson remains undefeated.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It is amusing that after all these years of planning for the Opening Ceremony on the Seine, it's absolutely pouring on everyone

Reactions: DaveG

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020

Tirico should get PTSD bonus pay for having to sit between Manning and Clarkson…what a shit show NBC! 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: skipnjump

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think Kennedy was shot by the SS by accident after Oswald fired from the book suppository building. When they went to protect him, the guy behind the limo fired point blank.

Or it was the CIA.
Yeah, the more I read about the Dulles brothers, how much unchecked power they had and used, and how much they hated Kennedy, the harder it is for me to discard the CIA theory out of hand. Oswald was not just some guy; he was seriously connected to a lot of weird shit.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Or it was the CIA.
The way they got away with it was ceaseless information warfare from zero day. They got us in a 70 year game of "Clue". Was it Oswald from the book depository with the Carcano? Was it E. Howard Hunt from the storm drain with the Remington 700? Was it the SS driver from the front seat with the .45? When in reality it was most likely just Oswald- CIA asset who was stationed at the same air base as Gary Powers, literally defected to the Soviet Union and then was somehow allowed to return with no repercussions and then was radicalized by his handlers.

They can do anything when they can spam a thousand theories out there- and only 1 is the truth.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yeah, the more I read about the Dulles brothers, how much unchecked power they had and used, and how much they hated Kennedy, the harder it is for me to discard the CIA theory out of hand. Oswald was not just some guy; he was seriously connected to a lot of weird shit.

A rabbit hole that implicates Drew Cary is pretty fu^%ing deep. Just sayin . . .

1722036739834.png

Having said that, when you look at some of the others that might have been involved it becomes more and more plausible.

1722037450476.png

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
There are so many mishandling all around Kennedy, even with Warren Commission and subsequent promotions throughout with those involved.

Then a no body kills Oswald before he can be interigated.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There are so many mishandling all around Kennedy, even with Warren Commission and subsequent promotions throughout with those involved.

Then a no body kills Oswald before he can be interigated.

And then think about this- remember when Congress passed a law in 1992 after the film "JFK" came out saying in 25 years all the CIA files on it had to be declassified unless the President specifically forbade it?

Imagine what must be in those files that Donald Trump himself refused to declassify them. You'd think he would have taken them and dumped them on the White House lawn infront of all the cameras.

I could see it becoming one of his "sir" stories.

"So Pompeo came in with tears in his eyes, he said 'sir...sir PLEASE don't release the files. They are so terrible.' So I said 'drop to your knees and beg, Mike.' And so he did. He begged like a dog. So I didn't release the files, folks."

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Honestly, knowing what we know about the guy, he likely glossed over it, didn’t see what the big deal was, but knew that a bunch of people wanted to have them declassified, so he refused to do so. Because it gave him some sense of power over them, and he can tell others “Oh, I know what was in those files, but you don’t.”

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
And then think about this- remember when Congress passed a law in 1992 after the film "JFK" came out saying in 25 years all the CIA files on it had to be declassified unless the President specifically forbade it?

Imagine what must be in those files that Donald Trump himself refused to declassify them. You'd think he would have taken them and dumped them on the White House lawn infront of all the cameras.

I could see it becoming one of his "sir" stories.

"So Pompeo came in with tears in his eyes, he said 'sir...sir PLEASE don't release the files. They are so terrible.' So I said 'drop to your knees and beg, Mike.' And so he did. He begged like a dog. So I didn't release the files, folks."
If you dig through the history of the Warren Commission and then look into Watergate with Nixon, and how Ford came to power in the aftermath.

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
"The Water is Wide" and "My Losing Season" are both non-fiction but still very good reads. I agree about his later stuff having somewhat derivative elements and started to note that in my original post, lol. It's been a long time since I read a lot of them but off the top of my head I'd probably go with The Lords of Discipline or The Prince of Tides (kind of nice to see him get out of the south for a bit and the ending is so . . . poignant?)

I don't recall seeing any movies of his stuff except The Great Santini, and I thought that was terrible, almost a crime with how much of an injustice it did the book; I'd love to see someone remake it.

**spoiler alert***

I just watched the movie "Prince of Tides" and I guess when I read the book I didn't have "Green Beret sniper wasted Navy Seal main character" on my bingo card- and was not surprised to see it not depicted in the film.

At the end of the day- we're always the bad guys...

😔

Reactions: LakeLivin

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
**spoiler alert***

I just watched the movie "Prince of Tides" and I guess when I read the book I didn't have "Green Beret sniper wasted Navy Seal main character" on my bingo card- and was not surprised to see it not depicted in the film.

At the end of the day- we're always the bad guys...

😔

To be honest, I didn't even remember that as part of the book; like I said, it's been a very long time since I read it. I'm not sure I'd read that much into why that part didn't make the movie, though. I can't recall a movie adaptation I've seen where they weren't forced to cut fairly significant portions out of the book, and seems to me that the main part was always going to be about Savannah and the psychiatrist, especially given that they got Barbara Streisand to play the shrink. Tbh, I don't remember all that much of the movie, either. How much of the movie did they devote to the mom's storyline, which I believe was fairly significant in the book?

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Stolen from Reddit:

TIL we detected a “starquake” in 2004 (which basically means the atoms of a neutron star moved a micrometer in a millionth of a second, causing a massive explosion) that, had it been closer to Earth, it would have destroyed the planet entirely.

The explosion was the equivalent of a 32 on the Richter scale. Now if you don’t know how the Richter scale works, each magnitude of the scale is 10x more powerful than the previous one. So a magnitude 4 earthquake is 10x more powerful than a magnitude 3, and a magnitude 5 earthquake is 100x more powerful than a magnitude 3.

The Chicxulub Impact (which caused the mass extinction in the time of dinosaurs) was a 12.6 and the equivalent of 100 trillion tons of TNT. This was a 32.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Stolen from Reddit:

TIL we detected a “starquake” in 2004 (which basically means the atoms of a neutron star moved a micrometer in a millionth of a second, causing a massive explosion) that, had it been closer to Earth, it would have destroyed the planet entirely.

The explosion was the equivalent of a 32 on the Richter scale. Now if you don’t know how the Richter scale works, each magnitude of the scale is 10x more powerful than the previous one. So a magnitude 4 earthquake is 10x more powerful than a magnitude 3, and a magnitude 5 earthquake is 100x more powerful than a magnitude 3.

The Chicxulub Impact (which caused the mass extinction in the time of dinosaurs) was a 12.6 and the equivalent of 100 trillion tons of TNT. This was a 32.
So if our Star, the sun, has a massive explosion, we are toast? Good to know. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad