OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
So, I got myself a new laptop for Prime Day and I must say WOW what a performance boost. I mean, I'm not a big gamer, so most of the games I play are years old, so my 8 year old laptop handles them just fine...but man on the new laptop I basically downloaded all my steam games in a few hours and games that used to take several minutes to load take like 15 sec!!!
Get Last Train Home.
Get Last Train Home.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There are two tabs. A "You Follow" tab, which only shows tweets from those you follow. In chronological order, I believe.

And then there's the "For You" Tab, which shows tweets from people you don't necessarily follow, but might be relevant based on your algorithm. And they're often ordered by the number of impressions (views, likes and retweets) the tweet receives.

And when the algorithm wasn't f***ed, the "For You" tab was great for getting a canvas of your interests. You can't necessarily follow EVERY person related to your topic of interest, so it was a great place to get the lowdown. When the Canes were playing the Islanders, for example, that tab was full of Canes fans and Islanders fans reacted on the series, lesser known stats tweeted out about the series, etc.

Now, as bleed said, it seems that tab is less about conforming itself to your interest and showing popular tweets in said topic (hockey, for example) and more about finding YOUR interest in a popular topic (politics) and showing every tweet related to that.
Yes I hadn’t used the follow tab or any of it for awhile so I went on this morning. One hockey-ish post then back to crap. It’s a completely different experience than it used to be. I never used it for social or political purposes, just hockey. I also followed Utah’s DOT for my ski trips there because getting up the Cottonwood canyons is everything and they often close with snow which dictates much of what you do. I used to get traffic updates for Utah mixed in all the time with my hockey which I didn’t mind because it reminded me of my trips. I don’t get those in either tab.

Reactions: SoupNazi
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I’ve noticed no major difference in the algorithm tab and I’m grateful for the return of the tab that gives you posts in chronological order which is basically where I spend 99% of my time. So for me it’s been better.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I think I have created a Twitter account a couple of times (because they kind of require it to let you see the content), and then very soon afterwards ignored the existence of the account without ever getting into actually using it to any meaningful extent. The initial very confusing explanations in which way it works differently than the Facebook must've scared me off for goods. "But... if you don't have to friend a celebrity but you can get the celebrity to follow you merely by tagging the celebrity, don't everyone will tag all the celebrities and it becomes an uncontrollable mess?"

In hindsight, I think I got the becoming an uncontrollable mess part right.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I’ve noticed no major difference in the algorithm tab and I’m grateful for the return of the tab that gives you posts in chronological order which is basically where I spend 99% of my time. So for me it’s been better.
I have an extension that just eliminates the "for you" tab. My twitter is what it always was- just the people I follow as they tweet. Does that mean I miss plenty of stuff? Sure, but twitter has always been a real time platform, stuff isn't meant to remain relevant for days.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
My my, this is coming together EXACTLY how I predicted.

I only missed Biden's drop out by one day. ( I said it would be the friday or saturday following the RNC, and he'd have a medical emergency)

I still say it will be Shapiro or Baldwin, with the outside Chance it's Whitmer or Cooper as her second.

Reactions: DaveG

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
He’s being very transparent about everything now.

View attachment 896309

I do wish one of the other Twitter clones managed to put up a fight. I do have a BlueSky account, but ultimately, they’re all secondary to Twitter in terms of engagement.

I might just start a new account from scratch and see if I can’t reset my algorithm that way. If it doesn’t work, then I’ll probably give up Twitter for good.
It worked amazingly for me when I deleted after Elon bought them.

I wanted to stay away, but I get too much baseball and hockey news on there. Signing back up allowed for the algorithm to reset and I get very little I don’t want to see nowadays.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I only missed Biden's drop out by one day. ( I said it would be the friday or saturday following the RNC, and he'd have a medical emergency)

I still say it will be Shapiro or Baldwin, with the outside Chance it's Whitmer or Cooper as her second.

Wasn’t too hard to predict. The internal and external faith in Biden was fading fast, with the struggles he had speaking and the reports that he was “sundowning” (The fact the other candidate is showing the same signs apparently doesn’t matter as much). Then the reports that Pelosi basically set an ultimatum:

“Nancy made clear that they could do this the easy way or the hard way,” said one Democrat familiar with private conversations who was granted anonymity to speak candidly. “She gave them three weeks of the easy way. It was about to be the hard way.”

It takes a lot of courage for Biden to do what he did. He put aside his pride and did what was best for his party (and what he believes is best for his country). It took him a little longer than many would have liked to get there, but it ultimately doesn’t look like that delay is going to hurt in any significant way.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Baldwin isn't even being vetted, as I understand it, and Whitmer has officially bowed out. The shortlist right now is Andy Beshear, Roy Cooper, Josh Shapiro, and Mark Kelly. If it's not our boy Cooper, I'd love to see Mark Kelly. A f***ing astronaut! Also a former Tomcat guy, so break out the Top Gun clips.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Baldwin isn't even being vetted, as I understand it, and Whitmer has officially bowed out. The shortlist right now is Andy Beshear, Roy Cooper, Josh Shapiro, and Mark Kelly. If it's not our boy Cooper, I'd love to see Mark Kelly. A f***ing astronaut! Also a former Tomcat guy, so break out the Top Gun clips.
A good friend of mine that I worked with when I lived up north had a brother who was an F14 pilot and then an astronaut as well. I only met him once when I was at my friend's wedding and he was still an F14 pilot back then. Survived a couple of tours in the Persian Gulf, then was a test pilot, then flew/commanded 2 or 3 space shuttle trips.

Then 2 years after he retired from NASA, he was killed in a jet-ski accident when his own son ran into him. Amazing that he survived all these other dangerous jobs and was killed having fun on a jet-ski with his kids. Tragic.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
A good friend of mine that I worked with when I lived up north had a brother who was an F14 pilot and then an astronaut as well. I only met him once when I was at my friend's wedding and he was still an F14 pilot back then. Survived a couple of tours in the Persian Gulf, then was a test pilot, then flew/commanded 2 or 3 space shuttle trips.

Then 2 years after he retired from NASA, he was killed in a jet-ski accident when his own son ran into him. Amazing that he survived all these other dangerous jobs and was killed having fun on a jet-ski with his kids. Tragic.
Damn. Looked it up, he was only 50.

Never take tomorrow for granted, I guess.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Twitter is a machine for political manipulation and psy-ops. It’s at least as bad as Facebook ever was. I’m surprised people continue to “give it a shot” at this late stage.
I'd even go one step further. It is a global weapons platform for information warfare- specifically designed for that purpose. I mean- right after they rolled it out, half the regimes in the middle east were swiftly overthrown, plunging it into chaos. Not to mention what the drug cartels and ISIS used it for in the early days.

And while I largely like what Musk has done with the place (ie, I can actually have my say on there without being immediately suspended) I am not super thrilled with the algorithm. My threads are filled not as much with the content of the accounts I follow- but mainly with the postings of influencers I despise. And, strangely- with rando accounts who seem to still be obsessed with Covid and screaming that everybody needs to still be masking everywhere.

I can only surmise they are farming deliberately negative interactions, baiting me to viciously denigrate the likes of Harry Sisson or the Crassenstein brothers or whomever.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well that one's out the window with grocery prices these days...probably have to settle for SPAM at best.
Nah..just have to shop smart.

Harris Teeter used to have their rancher strip steaks for about $8.99/lb when on sale back before the pandemic. Just this week, I saw them for $9.99 / lb for a value pack or $10.49/lb for a small pack (two 8oz steaks). That's an extra $0.50 to $0.75 per steak from 4 years ago.

Lowes Foods (with a coupon) on their current flyer has grass fed or certified USDA Select boneless Ribeyes value pack for $8.99 / lb.

Aldi's and Lidl always have sales and deals as well.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Nah..just have to shop smart.

Harris Teeter used to have their rancher strip steaks for about $8.99/lb when on sale back before the pandemic. Just this week, I saw them for $9.99 / lb for a value pack or $10.49/lb for a small pack (two 8oz steaks). That's an extra $0.50 to $0.75 per steak from 4 years ago.

Lowes Foods (with a coupon) on their current flyer has grass fed or certified USDA Select boneless Ribeyes value pack for $8.99 / lb.

Aldi's and Lidl always have sales and deals as well.

"$3.99 a pound..."

The Matrix - Neo vs Smith - Ultra HD on Make a GIF

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If you happen to follow too many folks from "Canes Twitter", you do see quite of bit of political shit. Most of that comes from them retweeting other people's political commentary, but most of Canes Twitter is a kindergarten of the uniformed and easily led when it comes to those types of discussions.

It mostly makes me laugh at the displayed amount of ignorance....on all sides of the political spectrum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad