OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIV: The Previous Thread Has Been Cancelled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Can't wait to get about 3 rows of trees removed from behind my house, took a walk around the property found 2 more trees down, one decided to destroy my target stands.

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So Nightmare Jazz is a genre

Seems like I have to cut up a tree once a month. If this pattern turns full drought, it will be worse.
I lose 1 or 2 a year. My long term goal is to cut down 2/3 of my trees, allowing the bigger healthy trees more room. My back 2 acres is all woods and in a flood zone always.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So Nightmare Jazz is a genre

I lose 1 or 2 a year. My long term goal is to cut down 2/3 of my trees, allowing the bigger healthy trees more room. My back 2 acres is all woods and in a flood zone always.
We took dow 7 or 8 trees in our back yard two years ago and it let in significantly more light so we can actually have a patch of grass in our back yard (well, okay, a mix of weeds and grass:naughty:. We back up to a waterfowl impoundment, so there's a ton of trees and wildlife another 5 to 10 yards from the back of our property line. Crazy amount of wildlife too....hawks (too many to count), owls, foxes, occasional deer, snakes, lizards, and turtles....every type of turtle you can imagine. They actually come up into our yard to lay their eggs.....crazy.

Reactions: DaveG

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
We took dow 7 or 8 trees in our back yard two years ago and it let in significantly more light so we can actually have a patch of grass in our back yard (well, okay, a mix of weeds and grass:naughty:. We back up to a waterfowl impoundment, so there's a ton of trees and wildlife another 5 to 10 yards from the back of our property line. Crazy amount of wildlife too....hawks (too many to count), owls, foxes, occasional deer, snakes, lizards, and turtles....every type of turtle you can imagine. They actually come up into our yard to lay their eggs.....crazy.
We get all of the wildlife too, I live very close to a state park, and the property I touch behind me is a 100+ acre dairy farm. Yotes are heard every evening, deer prints are always seen, our property line is a flowing creek (we are on well water too), so we have it all too.

Reactions: DaveG and NotOpie

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We get all of the wildlife too, I live very close to a state park, and the property I touch behind me is a 100+ acre dairy farm. Yotes are heard every evening, deer prints are always seen, our property line is a flowing creek (we are on well water too), so we have it all too.
My sister has seen this multiple times on her trail cam back in MI.

image000001.jpeg

And this

image000000.jpeg

and this
image000001 2.jpeg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Big cats are terrifying. Moose ain’t nothin to trifle with either though.
So the bear is the least terrifying. :laugh:

But seriously, the mountain lions are what scares her the most. Seeing them is relatively new to where she lives and the first time she hoped they were just passing through, but she's seen them multiple times now.

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Big cats are terrifying. Moose ain’t nothin to trifle with either though.

But seriously, the mountain lions are what scares her the most. Seeing them is relatively new to where she lives and the first time she hoped they were just passing through, but she's seen them multiple times now.
I would go:
Mountain Lion
Moose
Bear

Typically black bears will avoid people as a food source, momma bear will attack to protect cubs

Mountain Lions don't typically hunt humans either, unless population encroachment has limited their deer and other sources. But territorial natured.

Moose, they will charge a car, they can be very dangerous, would not pet, just people who try to pet bison....

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

They’re the worst in that grouping. If you see a mountain lion out on your outdoor adventures there’s a good chance it’s seeing you as potential dinner, because they don’t let you see them very often.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
A moose once bit my sister.
I’ve walked up onto two moose on trails hours into hikes while passing through woods well outside of cell range or other people, like within 20 ft of them before they huffed or made noise so I knew they were there. The first time it backed off, the other time it crossed the trail in front of me and trotted down a steep incline that was full of boulders, sharp smaller rocks and bushes. I just froze while it ran past me. By the time I got forward enough to look down the slope it was long gone and beyond what I could see.

It would take me twenty minutes to scramble down what it did in like five seconds. You wouldn’t think they’re agile and fast, and you’d be wrong.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
A moose once bit my sister.
what super powers did she get?

I’ve walked up onto two moose on trails hours into hikes while passing through woods well outside of cell range or other people, like within 20 ft of them before they huffed or made noise so I knew they were there. The first time it backed off, the other time it crossed the trail in front of me and trotted down a steep incline that was full of boulders, sharp smaller rocks and bushes. I just froze while it ran past me. By the time I got forward enough to look down the slope it was long gone and beyond what I could see.

It would take me twenty minutes to scramble down what it did in like five seconds. You wouldn’t think they’re agile and fast, and you’d be wrong.
I once came up on a moose in a park in Maine, i could have walked under it almost with how tall it was. The person we was with was like, slowly back away.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Land mgmt is a full time job between the weeds , trees and road maint. We have a small farm surrounded by much bigger farms. Our pond attracts all kinds of animals from the very occasional eagle to a momma bear raiding our dumpster from time to time.

Mosquitos, Humans and Domestic Dogs kill way more people than any of the animals were discussing here.
And selfies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad