OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIV: The Previous Thread Has Been Cancelled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The US has a national cricket team?
Give us a sport and we will play it, we won't even call Soccer by it's non American name, though the men's league doesn't win, our women's dominates it.

Counter point....parents with school age children: :eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::loony::loony::banghead::banghead::banghead:
They block up miles of traffic to drop off their crotchfruit that is too precious to ride the bus.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Give us a sport and we will play it, we won't even call Soccer by it's non American name, though the men's league doesn't win, our women's dominates it.

They block up miles of traffic to drop off their crotchfruit that is too precious to ride the bus.
Remind me how the last Women’s World Cup went.

The US has a national cricket team?
Yup. And it somehow beat a very populous country at its national sport.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
*Dominated...the rest of the world is quickly catching up, especially with how much some of them focus on politics instead of their play and teammates
Somewhat true, but I would have had to get up at 5:30 to catch the bus in middle & high school...which isn't really practical for a kid. Also, the busses are just as bad/worse by me bc there's a few places where the bus has 3 stops each 150 ft apart and won't even turn off it's flashing lights bc they're so close together...and they'll f***ing wait for crotch goblins to get ready, leave the house, walk to the bus, get on, settle down, and have f***ing tea before they move. "Back in my day" if you weren't AT the stop, they rolled past, and as soon as your foot hit the floor, they closed the door and drove off

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
*Dominated...the rest of the world is quickly catching up, especially with how much some of them focus on politics instead of their play and teammates

Somewhat true, but I would have had to get up at 5:30 to catch the bus in middle & high school...which isn't really practical for a kid. Also, the busses are just as bad/worse by me bc there's a few places where the bus has 3 stops each 150 ft apart and won't even turn off it's flashing lights bc they're so close together...and they'll f***ing wait for crotch goblins to get ready, leave the house, walk to the bus, get on, settle down, and have f***ing tea before they move. "Back in my day" if you weren't AT the stop, they rolled past, and as soon as your foot hit the floor, they closed the door and drove off
Schools are pretty much prisons with brighter colors anyways.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Gloriously considering the level of arrogance that many of the teams supporters have.
Now that giant European clubs are directing a slightly less tiny fraction of their resources to their women's teams, it looks like the epicentre of the game is moving inexorably to Western Europe. Spain is already playing a different game to everyone else's, and players like Bonmatí are obviously next level.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Remind me how the last Women’s World Cup went.
Our public broadcasting company and the press in general was asisine maximum in insisting calling it "the World Cup" (or, "the football world championships" as the events known in Finland), like they all in unison had got some massive ukase from somewhere.

People on twitter were asking the reporters, "you're talking about the women's football world championships, right", and the reporters were toeing the company line "I'm talking about the football world championships".

I don't even know if we had a goddamn team in it.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
High level athletes have the ability to do both at the same time.
Don't know how much North America can actually do to keep up, now that traditional futbol powerhouses (backed by the obscene amounts of petromoney sloshing around in the European game) are shifting things to second and third gear on the women's side as well.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Don't know how much North America can actually do to keep up, now that traditional futbol powerhouses (backed by the obscene amounts of petromoney sloshing around in the European game) are shifting things to second and third gear on the women's side as well.
ironically another decade+ of not winning the WWC might be what it takes to get the US to take development of talent seriously and drop this completely asinine pay for play system that really took off following the generation where I was coming up. I mean yeah, we had skills camps in the summers, but the IMG academy type stuff that now seems to be the norm wasn't a thing for anything outside of tennis, hockey (with the New England prep scene), and maybe golf when I was coming up in the mid-late 90s. You know, the cake eater rich kid sports. The commoner stuff like football, basketball, baseball, and soccer wasn't yet tarnished by that taint.

You could play scholastic and local travel team soccer in the US when I was a kid and make a pro career out of the sport if you were good enough even if your family was broke as hell. Mine wasn't but I nearly was able to do this myself if I had wanted to go that route before a serious knee injury. There was about a decade's worth of this... and then IMG and all their imitators became the norm and the entire development system in the US went crazy. On one hand the US is producing more players than ever that are capable of making the move to Europe and producing, but on the other end of things they've also cut off 90% of the possible talent pool compared to what we could do even 20 years ago. For example a guy that is almost certainly in the top 3 US non-GKs of all time and is arguably our GOAT right now, Clint Dempsey, never would have been given a chance if he were born even a decade later because of his families background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad