OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIV: The Previous Thread Has Been Cancelled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

Hope it cools off by August.

I was just thinking the other day that this summer has been rather moderate in Eastern NC. Definitely dry but moderate. Probably because I have to wear a freakin’ hoodie around my frigid office though

Reactions: DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm not gonna say they are full of shit but the mid 80's in late June southern VA is mild and doesn't deserve the dark red on the heat index
I'm am no climate change denier, but the ferocity of the "extreme heat" shouters has me chuckling a little. First of all, "feels like" temperature readings/statements are just plain bullshit. Guess what, it's f***ing hot. You know why, it's f***ing Summer.

Secondly, on the other side of the coin, the "heat dome" concept does make a difference as it seems to keep the heat (and often dryness) around for days in a row longer. So there is that.

But like somebody mentioned, they had snow out west recently. So things are crazy all over. I'm mostly merely amused by the outrage.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I'm am no climate change denier, but the ferocity of the "extreme heat" shouters has me chuckling a little. First of all, "feels like" temperature readings/statements are just plain bullshit. Guess what, it's f***ing hot. You know why, it's f***ing Summer.

Secondly, on the other side of the coin, the "heat dome" concept does make a difference as it seems to keep the heat (and often dryness) around for days in a row longer. So there is that.

But like somebody mentioned, they had snow out west recently. So things are crazy all over. I'm mostly merely amused by the outrage.
Im with you 100% Climate change is real, and we do effect it. Its not all us though as the climate of earth changes on its own. It always has, its done it multiple times before Human were even a thing.

But the best part of all of it is watching people go crazy because of it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Im with you 100% Climate change is real, and we do effect it. Its not all us though as the climate of earth changes on its own. It always has, its done it multiple times before Human were even a thing.

But the best part of all of it is watching people go crazy because of it.
You know they keep talking about the CO2 scrubbers to remove CO2 from the air. I have a evolutionary product that does that, trees.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Unless you are this guy...

I love that people outside of Colorado heard this story. This is in Fort Collins in the foothills right there, was my favorite place to live. Home of CSU. I was working as a medic in town and also attached to the local search and rescue team, not that this guy needed that. I was mountain biking and hiking right on the same trail this guy was on all the time. He was attacked by an adolescent, and he says had learned some of the moves they use from his own kitten he was always playing with - and it saved his life.

I went to that park and talked to the Ranger the next day but couldn’t go in because it was closed. The adult Lions were stalking all the people trails, walking right down the middle of them in plain sight, presumably looking for the missing Lion. And being aggressive. :oops:

A coworker was running a trail up high in that same park first year I lived up there, got bit by a rattlesnake. No cell service and you’re supposed lay still to not circulate the poison. No one else was on the trail so he had to run all the way down. By the time he got to the bottom and got help he had no blood pressure and got flown by helicopter to the local hospital we were based out of. Needed three doses of cromag to keep him alive. Each dose costs 10K!

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Well, you as a Czech would say that, wouldn't you.
That's because there is no discipline where you can throw away a sickle.

I just checked my bank account and made myself upset. Why the hell is health insurance so ridiculously expensive? Like I’m just trying to be happy about my higher than usual paycheck from these first two weeks of June and my health insurance payment is like “Nope, none of financial freedom here. You must walk this razor’s edge indefinitely.”
Because your health insurance is utterly degenerate for a country this rich.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I went to that park and talked to the Ranger the next day but couldn’t go in because it was closed. The adult Lions were stalking all the people trails, walking right down the middle of them in plain sight, presumably looking for the missing Lion. And being aggressive.
Oof. Pissed off and looking for the missing adolescent. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be around a group of mountain lions pissed off that one of the kids in their community was killed. I'd be giving that park a wide berth for years, cats hold grudges.

But ultimately that's why Mountain Lions don't usually go after adult humans as prey. Only when they're really desperate. We are hard targets that are still bigger than they are and there's a risk that we could injure or kill them in fighting back.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Oof. Pissed off and looking for the missing adolescent. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be around a group of mountain lions pissed off that one of the kids in their community was killed. I'd be giving that park a wide berth for years, cats hold grudges.

But ultimately that's why Mountain Lions don't usually go after adult humans as prey. Only when they're really desperate. We are hard targets that are still bigger than they are and there's a risk that we could injure or kill them in fighting back.

Not that this is common behavior for a big cat, but this video kept me off trails for a couple of weeks! Now I carry bear spray even if I have no thoughts of bears, just so I’d have something to make this creature maybe think twice.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Not that this is common behavior for a big cat, but this video kept me off trails for a couple of weeks! Now I carry bear spray even if I have no thoughts of bears, just so I’d have something to make this creature maybe think twice.

That guy got up close and personal with her cubs. Don't do that. Mama is trying to chase him off, that's not stalking him. If she was attacking she'd do it from behind, and he wouldn't see it coming. She's intimidating him out of her territory and doesn't actually want to fight, she wants him to leave the area. Which he did.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
:help:That guy got up close and personal with her cubs. Don't do that. Mama is trying to chase him off, that's not stalking him. If she was attacking she'd do it from behind, and he wouldn't see it coming. She's intimidating him out of her territory and doesn't actually want to fight, she wants him to leave the area. Which he did.
Absolutely, but what if you don’t know her and her cubs are there? It’s so easy to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. My closest bear encounter was in Glacier solo backpacking and I was bear anxious as much as trying to be bear smart. There’s so many there. I was making tons of noise, yelling, clapping my sticks, walked around a blind corner carefully and found a bear about 30 yards away calmly waiting for me to turn the corner so it could see what I was. You’re not supposed to make eye contact and there we were just staring at each other. :help:

It was a larger black bear, I backed off and it went up the slope in the bushes so I couldn’t see it anymore. I had to pass underneath it to get out….which sucked. Anyways, it can be tough not to just walk into bad territory sometimes. Glad it wasn’t a grizzly and glad I didn’t surprise it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
First of all, "feels like" temperature readings/statements are just plain bullshit.
Now that you mention, I have been noticing that they have been forcing that lately. Someone high up doesn't seem to care for people having objective measures anymore.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Denver was renown for having a “brown cloud” around it when I moved there in the late 90’s that was a nasty collection of pollution and dust. It’s still there when you look at the city from distance on a bad air day in the summer. Weather and heat gets trapped inside and it’s unpleasant in the summer. You reminded me of it with the heat dome mention. We used to get nasty thunderstorms the same time in the afternoon for weeks, we haven’t had that in a few years. When they do happen they seem to be more violent. The hail is hurting people when it used to be more of a nuisance most of the time. It’s hard to say if it’s just natural weather cycles or part of man influenced climate change. My 25 years here is a small sample size.

Climate change was always about unsettling the balance much earlier than it might’ve on its own. Snow storms in summer is part of that increased inbalance despite the increased temperatures overall. Though in the mountains we’ve always gotten snow squalls at altitude at any point of the summer, though my memories only go to the 90’s here so again it’s hard to say if that’s always been a thing or if that happens more in the last hundred years.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Absolutely, but what if you don’t know her and her cubs are there? It’s so easy to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. My closest bear encounter was in Glacier solo backpacking and I was bear anxious as much as trying to be bear smart. There’s so many there. I was making tons of noise, yelling, clapping my sticks, walked around a blind corner carefully and found a bear about 30 yards away calmly waiting for me to turn the corner so it could see what I was. You’re not supposed to make eye contact and there we were just staring at each other. :help:

It was a larger black bear, I backed off and it went up the slope in the bushes so I couldn’t see it anymore. I had to pass underneath it to get out….which sucked. Anyways, it can be tough not to just walk into bad territory sometimes. Glad it wasn’t a grizzly and glad I didn’t surprise it.
Bears are actually quite smart and quite chill. Never had a close encounter with a grizzly, but I have with a black bear, and they don't want confrontation, they just want to steal a large bag of granola from your group's supply bag in broad daylight. It was happy to run away with the granola when one of our group (not saying this is a good idea) ran after it with a canoe paddle.

There's nothing around that actually hunts adult humans. They'll defend themselves if provoked, but actually provoking those conflicts to the point where a wild animal is going to hurt you is a lot more difficult than most people think it is.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
You're saying that Blackrock building that huge CO2 scrubber isn't out of the concern of the planet, but for their own wallets?

Well no, they do but my comment was more about the politicians and higher wealth level people preaching about things.

If you want to know the truth about what a politicians agenda is find out what they invest in!

BTW this is a bipartisan comment

Now that you mention, I have been noticing that they have been forcing that lately. Someone high up doesn't seem to care for people having objective measures anymore.
Hard to push and agenda against hard concrete numbers.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
All I know is the Triangle used to be good for at least one good snowstorm a year. Now, I believe it's been over 2 years since we've seen such a thing. I don't know if it's global warming, but I do know it's unusual.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Bears are actually quite smart and quite chill. Never had a close encounter with a grizzly, but I have with a black bear, and they don't want confrontation, they just want to steal a large bag of granola from your group's supply bag in broad daylight. It was happy to run away with the granola when one of our group (not saying this is a good idea) ran after it with a canoe paddle.

There's nothing around that actually hunts adult humans. They'll defend themselves if provoked, but actually provoking those conflicts to the point where a wild animal is going to hurt you is a lot more difficult than most people think it is.
I agree with what you’re saying and for sure black bears are generally docile and not a threat. I’ve enjoyed most of my encounters with them and I’m usually only anxious in grizzly territory. I had nearly walked right into that bear and it could’ve easily been a grizzly - which is how a few people have died at Glacier. Lots of blind corners and heavy underbrush, making noise wasn’t enough. It’s an amazing place and you just don’t know what’s close to you sometimes until it’s too late. I think the last guy killed there rode his mountain bike right into a grizzly…..hard to blame the bear there. I never saw a trail there I would ride a mountain bike on.

It’s always a risk going into their world and that’s on you, but it’s not unusual for people to not really do anything wrong and end up in a bad spot because a cub and mama were off trail hidden but really close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad