OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIV: The Previous Thread Has Been Cancelled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
All I know is the Triangle used to be good for at least one good snowstorm a year. Now, I believe it's been over 2 years since we've seen such a thing. I don't know if it's global warming, but I do know it's unusual.
It is global warming and we do actually have an effect on it. To be so vain to think that this is all our fault though, well that's comical.

I was curious about the name of other periods and came across this info. We are actually in a glacial age for the planet. Thats defined by any time there are ice caps present on earth. We are in the largest glacial age. The vast majority of the earths life has been spent in a greenhouse age, that's were there is no ice present at the poles.

Let that info sink in before you go all EV.

Also there was a note that the IPCC has stated that there is virtually zero chance that a runaway greenhouse event can be cause by "anthropogenic activities"

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
It is global warming and we do actually have an effect on it. To be so vain to think that this is all our fault though, well that's comical.

I was curious about the name of other periods and came across this info. We are actually in a glacial age for the planet. Thats defined by any time there are ice caps present on earth. We are in the largest glacial age. The vast majority of the earths life has been spent in a greenhouse age, that's were there is no ice present at the poles.

Let that info sink in before you go all EV.

Also there was a note that the IPCC has stated that there is virtually zero chance that a runaway greenhouse event can be cause by "anthropogenic activities"
I'm more concerned with the life cycle of the soil to produce food. Since monocropping had boomed as an industry, the soil is losing its nutrients. The need for crop rotation and regenerative farming is getting closer and closer, some estimates are under 60 seasons of crops left in some places.

As for the climate, nuclear energy and the emergence of fission would be a much cleaner production method. Hippies killed that, but even nuclear waste can be used to produce electricity. (And no, it's the leaking drums of green goo everyone is programmed to think is the waste).

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Not that this is common behavior for a big cat, but this video kept me off trails for a couple of weeks! Now I carry bear spray even if I have no thoughts of bears, just so I’d have something to make this creature maybe think twice.

Did it strike anyone else that this guy is maybe just a couple levels above the morons who attempt to pet wild bison and then get gored?

First off, not heading the opposite direction when he saw the cubs. I could see that as a lapse in judgement, but then making it a point to film the incident? Instead of throwing rocks, which were abundantly available at his feet? Hard to tell for sure, but looks like maybe he bent down to pick up a rock at the end, but that was after being followed for 5 minutes.

I get that it's easy to say what you'd do from the comfort of your couch instead of being in the middle of such a high pressure situation, but he did have the capacity to make it a point to film the entire encounter. I dunno, the whole thing just left me shaking my head . . .

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Did it strike anyone else that this guy is maybe just a couple levels above the morons who attempt to pet wild bison and then get gored?

First off, not heading the opposite direction when he saw the cubs. I could see that as a lapse in judgement, but then making it a point to film the incident? Instead of throwing rocks, which were abundantly available at his feet? Hard to tell for sure, but looks like maybe he bent down to pick up a rock at the end, but that was after being followed for 5 minutes.

I get that it's easy to say what you'd do from the comfort of your couch instead of being in the middle of such a high pressure situation, but he did have the capacity to make it a point to film the entire encounter. I dunno, the whole thing just left me shaking my head . . .
He should have hawk tuah and spit on that thang.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'm more concerned with the life cycle of the soil to produce food. Since monocropping had boomed as an industry, the soil is losing its nutrients. The need for crop rotation and regenerative farming is getting closer and closer, some estimates are under 60 seasons of crops left in some places.

As for the climate, nuclear energy and the emergence of fission would be a much cleaner production method. Hippies killed that, but even nuclear waste can be used to produce electricity. (And no, it's the leaking drums of green goo everyone is programmed to think is the waste).

Fission would be great, but how long before it's practical? I wonder about geothermal and the efficiency curve of that technology if it were aggressively pursued.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Yeah my first thought has always been to wonder why he didn’t start throwing rocks, though he might’ve been concerned about provoking it to take it to the next step. It also kept doing those stomping lunges that would make me nervous to even slow down enough to bend over and grab a rock. It looks like it’s a half thought away from straight up charging even though it seems clear from our chairs that it’s pushing him away back. In that moment if it was me I can’t say for sure I wouldn’t think it would full on charge me based on how close it’s coming.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yeah my first thought has always been to wonder why he didn’t start throwing rocks, though he might’ve been concerned about provoking it to take it to the next step. It also kept doing those stomping lunges that would make me nervous to even slow down enough to bend over and grab a rock. It looks like it’s a half thought away from straight up charging even though it seems clear from our chairs that it’s pushing him away back. In that moment if it was me I can’t say for sure I wouldn’t think it would full on charge me based on how close it’s coming.

If I were afraid it was going to charge I'd sure as shit want both hands free instead of holding a phone in one. Preferably with a good size rock in each, hoping to be able to take out a number of teeth if I were unfortunate enough to encounter the following:

1718912667028.png

[As an aside, absolutely great sports logo, I wish the Canes could come up with something half as good as this one]

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Fission would be great, but how long before it's practical? I wonder about geothermal and the efficiency curve of that technology if it were aggressively pursued.

Even so, spent fuel rods are still usable renewable, and used in other countries.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

The absolute temperature change we are creating with human induced global warming is not the problem here, for the most part. Humans will survive in most places (areas around the Persian Gulf may become uninhabitable if you are poor due to increases in the wet-bulb temperatures). The problem is that the pace of it is so rapid, the biosphere will not be able to adapt fast enough. There will be lots of animals that just go extinct. Which ones and how important they are to us is going to be hard to predict.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The absolute temperature change we are creating with human induced global warming is not the problem here, for the most part. Humans will survive in most places (areas around the Persian Gulf may become uninhabitable if you are poor due to increases in the wet-bulb temperatures). The problem is that the pace of it is so rapid, the biosphere will not be able to adapt fast enough. There will be lots of animals that just go extinct. Which ones and how important they are to us is going to be hard to predict.
I mean, flooding a bunch of highly populated coastal areas is also not good. And the raw heat does kill a lot of kids and elderly people. Will it kill everybody, right now? No. But it does kill people. It's also not just the biosphere, it's stuff like permafrost where a bunch of carbon is locked up. If that all melts, and it's starting to, it accelerates the rate of warming and instead of a 2 degree F increase, it's 4. And then lots more stuff goes very wrong.

It's a huge problem, and we are 100% responsible for it. If you look at natural cycles we're supposed to be getting colder right now, not warmer. Instead we're heating to twice as warm as "warm" cycles would be. Any level of denial is just comically stupid at this point.

Yes, summer gets hot, blah de blah. But the level of hot is hotter and lasts longer than it used to, and the winter colds are less cold and don't last as long. The day to day weather will always have lots of variation, but the overall trend lines over time are extremely clear and they correlate extremely closely with how much carbon we're dumping in the atmosphere.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Even so, spent fuel rods are still usable renewable, and used in other countries.

Let me preface by saying that these are just my perceptions, I'm certainly not very up on the subject.

I'm not against utilizing nuclear "short-to-intermediate" term until we're able to significantly boost the efficiency of more eco friendly technologies. My biggest concern is the risk of potential lapse in containment, either due to natural causes or sabotage. And I believe I've heard that the newer technology uses much safer to contain pellets in the fuel rods as compared to the old rods. I'm guessing that the NIMBY factor will be a big obstacle in going that route, however.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
All I know is the Triangle used to be good for at least one good snowstorm a year. Now, I believe it's been over 2 years since we've seen such a thing. I don't know if it's global warming, but I do know it's unusual.
To a certain extent I agree. But I'm a bit of an old timer here and I do remember a couple of 2 and 3 year stretches with no snow or ice storms. Only a very few, though.
I had nearly walked right into that bear and it could’ve easily been a grizzly - which is how a few people have died at Glacier. Lots of blind corners and heavy underbrush, making noise wasn’t enough. It’s an amazing place and you just don’t know what’s close to you sometimes until it’s too late.
One of my sons graduated high school from Flathead High in Kalispell. His graduation weekend we were hiking up to Avalanche Lake in Glacier and saw bear scat several times. We had bear spray, but a couple of people we encountered on the trail were packing handguns (either 9mm or .45 caliber). That night at one of the local bars talked to a dude and asked him about it. My understanding was that type of gun wouldn't kill a Grizzly. He said that people carrying them were iikely idiots who thought they would or thought that the noise would scare them off. I, for one, wouldn't like to find out.
And the raw heat does kill a lot of kids and elderly people.
My understanding is that heat is the weather phenomenon that kills more people than any other.
Yes, summer gets hot, blah de blah.
Yeah, my point was more about the alarmism at 90 degree heat by the weather people, the morning show announcers, etc. Nobody is denying anything about the actual weather challenges. However, it's like everything else in our current conversations....hyperbole to the extreme.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
To a certain extent I agree. But I'm a bit of an old timer here and I do remember a couple of 2 and 3 year stretches with no snow or ice storms. Only a very few, though.

One of my sons graduated high school from Flathead High in Kalispell. His graduation weekend we were hiking up to Avalanche Lake in Glacier and saw bear scat several times. We had bear spray, but a couple of people we encountered on the trail were packing handguns (either 9mm or .45 caliber). That night at one of the local bars talked to a dude and asked him about it. My understanding was that type of gun wouldn't kill a Grizzly. He said that people carrying them were iikely idiots who thought they would or thought that the noise would scare them off. I, for one, wouldn't like to find out.

My understanding is that heat is the weather phenomenon that kills more people than any other.

Yeah, my point was more about the alarmism at 90 degree heat by the weather people, the morning show announcers, etc. Nobody is denying anything about the actual weather challenges. However, it's like everything else in our current conversations....hyperbole to the extreme.
There’s always been a gun vs spray argument. People imo way over rate their gun skills, and I agree with the people that say it wouldn’t matter even if you actually shot a charging grizzly where you wanted to. Sometimes it takes a moment or two for the body to know it’s dead, and it only takes one swipe. Head vs heart? More accuracy in tight spaces questions. There was also a study I read about that showed that if you shot a bear and it survived it was significantly more likely to kill you vs a bear that makes it through your bear spray. If you spray and it fails, you drop and play dead. It may knock you around a bit but more often than not it wouldn’t go further than the injuries you could get from that. Potentially serious but not necessarily fatal. The study said that a shot grizzly is way more likely to make the effort to finish you off.

Reactions: DaveG

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
There’s always been a gun vs spray argument. People imo way over rate their gun skills, and I agree with the people that say it wouldn’t matter even if you actually shot a charging grizzly where you wanted to. Sometimes it takes a moment or two for the body to know it’s dead, and it only takes one swipe. Head vs heart? More accuracy in tight spaces questions. There was also a study I read about that showed that if you shot a bear and it survived it was significantly more likely to kill you vs a bear that makes it through your bear spray. If you spray and it fails, you drop and play dead. It may knock you around a bit but more often than not it wouldn’t go further than the injuries you could get from that. Potentially serious but not necessarily fatal. The study said that a shot grizzly is way more likely to make the effort to finish you off.
Shooting at a range versus in the woods at a bear charging you while your heart rate spikes and adrenaline makes you all twitchy is a whole world of difference.

There's also the subset of men who think they could take on a grizzly with their bare hands. Apparently it's 6%.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Shooting at a range versus in the woods at a bear charging you while your heart rate spikes and adrenaline makes you all twitchy is a whole world of difference.

There's also the subset of men who think they could take on a grizzly with their bare hands. Apparently it's 6%.

Seems low. Think of all the men you know. If you get to more than 3 that are stupid enough to believe that before you reach 50 men, you're already over 6%

Reactions: Tryamw

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
What's happening there? Miku is a real person who used a technomagical incantation to make a terminator out itself?

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

I was reading an interesting nutritional study comparing the nutrient content of apples farmed over 30 years ago to now.

Short version was you'd have to eat a lot of apples today to get what you got from one's a generation or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad