Post-Game Talk: Hulu? More like boo-lu!

3 Stars

• Total voters

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
the game in the playoffs is very different. it’s much tighter and refs swallow their whistles. his game is not built for the playoffs. he’ll never be as good in the playoffs. the concern is he’s completely invisible in the playoffs where I think he can be better

What you're saying isnt untrue, but for his salary has been unacceptable. Hopefully this new found motivation from Igor's agents lasts until June.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the game in the playoffs is very different. it’s much tighter and refs swallow their whistles. his game is not built for the playoffs. he’ll never be as good in the playoffs. the concern is he’s completely invisible in the playoffs where I think he can be better
I think in the playoffs teams have been playing him a lot closer/more aggressively and with a plan to have layered help as he tries to navigate in the offensive zone. Guys stand up to him rather than back off and give him space because they know if he beats them individually, they have backup from another teammate. Teams will just collapse down on him in the offensive zone in the playoffs.
His biggest flaw here IMO is not quite recognizing that quickly enough or trying to ram through the same kind of plays over and over...he and his linemates need some better plans or passing options for him to take when a team starts trying to collapse on him. There should be some players open, he just needs to move it to them more successfully. If his line starts burning other lines more often that way then they'll back off the focus on Panarin as much and he'll get a bit more room.

Since he doesn't exactly have a standout physical skill like amazing skating but also loves to always have the puck, it's a big harder for him to generate that space when a team tries to step up their aggressiveness on him and can gameplan around that

At least IMO. I don't think he was particularly doing anything "wrong" last year in a lot of ways, he was trying to shoot and not be a perimeter player but teams really focused on bottling him up. So, again, he and his line need to work on some ways to beat that regularly

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
they obviously haven't played against great teams yet but this start is encouraging. They're 2nd in the league in xGF%. all the lines seem to be clicking decently and Trouba-Schneider is not nearly the disaster I thought they'd be; while Miller-Fox have been superb.

I'm sorry to the fanboys but this is a direct result of Lindgren not playing. We will be a worse team when he comes back.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think in the playoffs teams have been playing him a lot closer/more aggressively and with a plan to have layered help as he tries to navigate in the offensive zone. Guys stand up to him rather than back off and give him space because they know if he beats them individually, they have backup from another teammate. Teams will just collapse down on him in the offensive zone in the playoffs.
His biggest flaw here IMO is not quite recognizing that quickly enough or trying to ram through the same kind of plays over and over...he and his linemates need some better plans or passing options for him to take when a team starts trying to collapse on him. There should be some players open, he just needs to move it to them more successfully. If his line starts burning other lines more often that way then they'll back off the focus on Panarin as much and he'll get a bit more room.

Since he doesn't exactly have a standout physical skill like amazing skating but also loves to always have the puck, it's a big harder for him to generate that space when a team tries to step up their aggressiveness on him and can gameplan around that

At least IMO. I don't think he was particularly doing anything "wrong" last year in a lot of ways, he was trying to shoot and not be a perimeter player but teams really focused on bottling him up. So, again, he and his line need to work on some ways to beat that regularly

I think the attention he draws has value unto itself as well. And I will go on record as saying that if he were to take a slight drop in cap hit, say $8.5m on a 4 year deal after this one, I could see him being a really good key player in a core group who wins the Cup somewhere.

Reactions: kovazub94

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I’m glad mancini is better than replacement level. it’s nice to hit on a late draft pick for once. he’ll never be great, but you have to be happy you found someone worth playing in the 5th round.

they obviously haven't played against great teams yet but this start is encouraging. They're 2nd in the league in xGF%. all the lines seem to be clicking decently and Trouba-Schneider is not nearly the disaster I thought they'd be; while Miller-Fox have been superb.

I'm sorry to the fanboys but this is a direct result of Lindgren not playing. We will be a worse team when he comes back.
got a few tough games coming up. toronto tomorrow will be a real test.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I’m glad mancini is better than replacement level. it’s nice to hit on a late draft pick for once. he’ll never be great, but you have to be happy you found someone worth playing in the 5th round.

got a few tough games coming up. toronto tomorrow will be a real test.
I mean, given his volume of physical tools and performance so far this is kinda weird to say? I don't think he'll be a superstar but he certainly has some potential.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
We should have been using Panarin there more frequently- He's not as good there as peak Mika, but much better than valley Mika.

If the objective is consistency, Bread can do the triggerman role more often.

Yea but he's more valuable when he can control the PP with the puck on his stick on the other side than he is by being the primary shooter. He can rotate into that spot as needed - which he does.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Agree. If we look back at the last playoff run - you can have a pretty strong argument that Fox's injury was the most impactful on Panarin than anyone else other than Fox himself obviously.

I think the attention he draws has value unto itself as well. And I will go on record as saying that if he were to take a slight drop in cap hit, say $8.5m on a 4 year deal after this one, I could see him being a really good key player in a core group who wins the Cup somewhere.
Why not here?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Panarin is the man, if he ever has a playoff run that matches his regular season production or is in the vicinity the rangers would win the cup and he’d be a legend forever. I’ve been extremely impressed by Mancini too, the tools are so far beyond what I expected, kid deserves to stick but unfortunately won’t after Lindgren returns.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Define great?

Adam Fox? No he won't be Adam Fox.

I think getting a quality #3-4 in the 5th round would be pretty great though. He's got a ways to go but thats a realistic ceiling for him. His game in the OZ is so much better than it gets credit for and he's surprisingly agile despite not having much burst and he has at least to this point shown that he has a knack for hitting the net when he does shoot the puck.

Reactions: noncents

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
What you're saying isnt untrue, but for his salary has been unacceptable. Hopefully this new found motivation from Igor's agents lasts until June.

unacceptable? he scored 4 game winning goals, had 15 points in 16 games and had a 52%cf and 53%xgf. all while the rest of the team was pinned in their own zone for the entire Florida series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad