How would we blow it all up?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Justin Schultz was in pretty much the same spot in Edmonton last year and they ended up getting a 3rd from Pittsburgh for him IIRC, Smith could likely be moved for something in that area of a 3rd/ 4th round pick.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I like Frk It's idea.

I'd honestly keep Tatar and Nyquist, though. They're young enough to still be players in 3-4 years. If Mrazek is traded I don't see us trading Howard.

But if we trade Mrazek, Green, Vanek (players with decent value) and guys like Smith or Ericsson (cap space), it'll go a long way for 'tanking'. If we truly tank, this is the best scenario. It we're going to a rebuild - Blashill has to play the kids in the process. None of the lollygagging with the lines and trying to play the vets.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I like Frk It's idea.

I'd honestly keep Tatar and Nyquist, though. They're young enough to still be players in 3-4 years. If Mrazek is traded I don't see us trading Howard.

But if we trade Mrazek, Green, Vanek (players with decent value) and guys like Smith or Ericsson (cap space), it'll go a long way for 'tanking'. If we truly tank, this is the best scenario. It we're going to a rebuild - Blashill has to play the kids in the process. None of the lollygagging with the lines and trying to play the vets.

What is Vanek going to bring us in at the deadline? With an expansion draft coming up the value of picks/players has to be gone wack?

Maybe a B level prospect or a 2/3?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Justin Schultz was in pretty much the same spot in Edmonton last year and they ended up getting a 3rd from Pittsburgh for him IIRC, Smith could likely be moved for something in that area of a 3rd/ 4th round pick.

Schultz was also 2 years younger. *shrug* Like I said, I hope y'all are right, but the only reasoning anyone has is "teams overpay for 3rd pairing defensemen" in spite of the fact that we, the worst defense in the league, wouldn't be playing him at all, let alone on the 3rd pair if our coach had half a brain. I guess, given that, the gamble is that other GMs and coaches around the league are at least as dumb as Blash? It seems hard for me to believe that that would be the case for any team buying at the deadline.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
What is Vanek going to bring us in at the deadline? With an expansion draft coming up the value of picks/players has to be gone wack?

Maybe a B level prospect or a 2/3?

If he keeps this up we might be able to snag a 1st from Chicago retaining 50% on him. They are in a serious cap crunch and will need the winger depth. Probably won't have a better option than Vanek.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Even if Detroit was awarded the 1st overall pick for the 2017 draft - chances are Holland would trade it away for a few extra 2nd round, and a 3rd round draft pick - cause you know - more picks is better.

LOL I echo those feels but I like to think the organization would value a top 5 pick more than a late round one. I never agreed with Holland's trade downs but I can't see him doing that even with the zero confidence I have in him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Even if Detroit was awarded the 1st overall pick for the 2017 draft - chances are Holland would trade it away for a few extra 2nd round, and a 3rd round draft pick - cause you know - more picks is better.

I would hope and would think that IF detroit or more importantly WHEN Detroit ends up with a top 5 pick KH wont be the teams GM making that decision

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

No he wouldn't.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Holland's contract runs through the 2017-18 season. No way do I see him committing to anything that resembles a full, blow it up rebuild, and I really don't see Illitch canning his butt, no matter how bad this team gets by then.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Holland's contract runs through the 2017-18 season. No way do I see him committing to anything that resembles a full, blow it up rebuild, and I really don't see Illitch canning his butt, no matter how bad this team gets by then.

Yzerman needs to hurry up and win a cup with Tampa so Holland can be promoted and Stevie can take over.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Yzerman needs to hurry up and win a cup with Tampa so Holland can be promoted and Stevie can take over.

As much as I'd love to see Stevie as the Wings GM, IMO, if we're going full on rebuild, I'd rather have someone that has zero to very little previous ties to the organization.

EDIT: plus, I'd have very little confidence in any kind of rebuild with Holland sticking around in any capacity. He's not the kind of guy that strikes me as being totally hands off, which is pretty much what this team would need for any chance of success in a bebuild.

Adtually, same goes for Jimmy D too.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
As much as I'd love to see Stevie as the Wings GM, IMO, if we're going full on rebuild, I'd rather have someone that has zero to very little previous ties to the organization.

Honestly, this is pretty much how I feel. Yzerman has attachment to some of the older players on the team like Zetterberg, as well as to the Ilitch family, and might not feel comfortable blowing it up the way an outsider would.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Honestly, this is pretty much how I feel. Yzerman has attachment to some of the older players on the team like Zetterberg, as well as to the Ilitch family, and might not feel comfortable blowing it up the way an outsider would.

Yzerman always struck me as a guy who was so competitive that wouldn't weigh in too much.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

How long do you expect Zetterberg to play for?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yzerman would be an idiot to leave Tampa where he not only has a very good young core, but one he worked very hard on to lock in at very reasonable contracts.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Honestly, I expect him to play, or try to, until his contract runs out. If his body allows him to I see him trying that.

There is absolutely no way he plays that long. I can see him trying to play next year for that last big pay check but there is no way that he plays the last three.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
There is no blowing up of this team! We can not and will no longer be a competitive team with old man Kenny at the wheel sorry. He has stayed way past his prim, coast us 2 good GM's and team people and the staff that walked with them. He does not know how to build a team in this cap league untill he is gone so is Hockey Town.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
There is no blowing up of this team! We can not and will no longer be a competitive team with old man Kenny at the wheel sorry. He has stayed way past his prim, coast us 2 good GM's and team people and the staff that walked with them. He does not know how to build a team in this cap league untill he is gone so is Hockey Town.
Kennys love of old and over the hill players will be the downfall of this team.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
-Trade Mike Green and we have the worst defensive unit in the NHL by a mile.

-Trade Mrazek because he has trade value and you can.

-Trade Howard on 50% salary retention or bury him in GR.

-Ask for a scrub backup goalie in one of the 3 deals mentioned above, or sign a UFA goalie journeyman looking for work. Let Coreau be the other goalie. Play whatever goalie does worse.

IMO you do this and you get an easy top 5-10 pick. Without touching the forwards. And even with the long term deals we have to so-so players.

I do not think this is the draft class to do this for, but maybe next year.
While this route might very well land a high draft pick, it still falls prey to the fact that, when the actual rebuild happens, they should start with the defense, because (if your end goal is to eventually have all facets of the roster running on all cylinders again) that aspect will take the longest to develop.

Honestly, at this point, for how many bad contracts there are on the books, and how long I see thing taking to PROPERLY be rebuilt, even Larkin and AA should be fair game, if it's to start landing decent defensemen. Sadly, it's their forwards that should be burnt to the ground, to start building a blue line that (hopefully) comes to fruition in 5 years. Then, after 2-3 years of being awful while going after defense, then use the high picks in the latter years of the rebuild to snag more forwards. That way, 5-7 years from now - if it works at all - you have both your defensemen and your forwards starting to make an impact at the same time, instead of doing it the other way around, and having the ELCs of your forwards expiring, while you're still waiting a few more years for your defensemen to round out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Honestly, I expect him to play, or try to, until his contract runs out. If his body allows him to I see him trying that.

Same here. I think people seriously underrate his drive and desire to be on the ice when talking about him retiring or going on LTIR for whatever reason. I think they will have to drag Z off the ice.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How long do you expect Zetterberg to play for?

Zetterberg will play for max two more seasons. Here's the breakdown of his contract:

YEAR - AGE - BASE SALARY - CAP HIT
2016-17 - 36 - $7,750,000 - $6,083,333
2017-18 - 37 - $7,000,000 - $6,083,333
2018-19 - 38 - $3,350,000 - $6,083,333
2019-20 - 39 - $1,000,000 - $6,083,333
2020-21 - 40 - $1,000,000 - $6,083,333

There's no way a 39-year old Zetterberg is going to play in the NHL for $1 million a season. To me the final two years will see him either traded to a team looking to reach the cap floor without having to pay money or just placed on LTIR.

It's debatable if he'll even want to play for $3.3 million a season. I think he'll play next season and then call it career. Management will figure out how to make his contract to go away after that point. Buying out his final two or three seasons wouldn't cost that much in penalties, I don't think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad