OT: How upset do you get after an Oilers loss?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How upset do you get

• Total voters

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
You guys think you got it bad. After the oilers lost, I text my spouse when she was in bed and said,
“Are you feeling frisky ;)

her response “Not even a little”

lol. Double whammy last night.

My wife and son and I had our daily crib game after the Oiler game last night. I’m in the stinkhole, to the left of the dealer, so I count first. My son needs five to win. And of course he ends up pegging five points and wins. Perfect end to the day. ;)

Reactions: tardigrade81

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I was talking to a friend last night that said he was legit ready to punch someone in the face and said how he needs to give up sports because they ruin his life. He also cheers for the Vikings and Blue Jays. I told him if sports give him that much grief, he really shouldn’t watch

Me on the other hand, I cheer for the Oilers, Senators, Colts, Red Sox. Yes I will admit the Sox have been good to me in my lifetime and I have watched them win 4 World Series. I have yet to watch the Oilers or Senators win the cup in my life time. I have seen Indy win the Super Bowl once 14 years ago when I was 19. End of the day, I get upset but it doesn’t ruin my day. I hate that the Oilers are under performing AGAIN and I was disgusted with the loss. But here I am this morning.... happy and eating some bacon.

Curious what you guys feel after a loss. I more less mean the playoff losses. Like a crucial loss, not just some meaningless game.
I'm an Oilers, Jays, and Raiders fan so I don't really know what it's like to taste any sort of victory. Therefore I don't really know how to get upset after crucial losses because I don't experience them really at all.

Any asshole can root for the Patriots or Yankees. It takes real passion to cheer for abject failure and zero expectation :laugh:

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I'm an Oilers, Jays, and Raiders fan so I don't really know what it's like to taste any sort of victory. Therefore I don't really know how to get upset after crucial losses because I don't experience them really at all.

Any asshole can root for the Patriots or Yankees. It takes real passion to cheer for abject failure and zero expectation :laugh:

haha preach!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
excellent post. Particularly the part of ego identification. I remember a moment during SC wins,and for awhile you're just ecstatic and in time you always realize the whole thing really has nothing to do with you. Doesn't change or alter life too much. It does and can inspire. It can uplift, make us happy for awhile. It doesn't change anything and shouldn't. By the next day or week the SC wins I attended were about as important as seeing Pink Floyd in concert. Definitely a bucket list thing, and great experiences, but a week later life is back to the same thing.

Trauma, haha, I can tell you're a longtime fan. I've been with the team since 72 as well. Those early years were kind of bleak. Jim Harrison was occasionally electric, but that team didn't have a lot of offensive talent early on. Started getting it though. Bill Hunter was kind of cheap, truth be told. He was the model of a GM that would buy the Hansons if they were on sale. The WHA was special. Slapshot of course based on several actual WHA players including Hansons.

Well said.

I think we can all admit that the Oilers are an important segment of our life, a big passion (we're HFOil junkies after all),but it when it boils down to it, it's just entertainment and entertainment that we have no control over so if it's affecting your life in a negative way for an extended period of time, I think it points to a bigger problem in your life than just the Oilers not performing.

As you said, we feel uplifted when they're doing something great and down when they're struggling but eventually that feeling subsides and you go on with life. It's not something that should be consuming you daily but then again, everybody is different.

I look at some of the comments and I see so much anger, or eternal pessmism, coming from certain posters that I wonder if maybe they should just step away from the Oilers and kind of reassess life. After all, it's just a game. A game a lot of us care about deeply but still just a game when it boils down to it.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
My wife and son and I had our daily crib game after the Oiler game last night. I’m in the stinkhole, to the left of the dealer, so I count first. My son needs five to win. And of course he ends up pegging five points and wins. Perfect end to the day. ;)
That’s awesome!!!! And a great example of doing something nice and relaxing to unwind. Drinking alcohol after a loss and yelling with friends tends to make it worse lol

Reactions: bellagiobob

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Hahahahah exactly!!!! I’m not much better with Ottawa, Edmonton, And colts. I got lucky with the Sox which I’m thankful for. Indy won a super Bowl 15 years ago. Last 10 years though, lots of one and done and no playoff appearances lol

Reactions: bellagiobob

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I remember the Sens had an extended break there before Anaheim and I think that killed some of our momentum. I was ripping my hair out that series... we were built similar to the current Oilers (way more skill throughout lineup) but we were soft overall.. especially our top end skill was super soft. Draisaitl looks better then Mcdavid right now imo just because he’s a little tougher and can fight his way through and battle. I’ve seen some mean streaks in Mcdavid but I feel like he needs to change his game to win.. and I think he will figure that out.

I remember Crosby playing against the Sens back in the day and he would fight through our defense and literally split it physically for a breakaway or he would take the puck behind our net and zig zag back and forth for like what seemed like a whole shift just schooling everyone until he opened up a lane.. but he was super tough on that puck. This is before he won any cups.. when his team sucked. He just had that fire to win. We need to see some of that from Mcdavid.
Exactly this!!! And I think that is why this is so upsetting. McDavid has done this time and time again in the regular season and especially against the Jets. Now that it's playoffs, he has gone radio silent. I'm not just faulting him because nobody other than Smith has stepped up. But this is what the playoffs are..... this is where hero's are born. You have guys like Helle for Winnipeg and Price for Montreal that are just born playoff contenders and know how to step up their game. Crosby is another for the penguins. Gretzky for the Oilers. McDavid is a very talented player and shows it during regular season, but he needs to show it during the playoffs against the top teams who are plying their top game. Otherwise you and the team are just known as playoff chokers
That was the Colts memo for 7 years. Flashy offensive team but against strong defenses like the Pats in 03 and 04 they got smoked. And then lost again to t he Steelers in 05.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Exactly this!!! And I think that is why this is so upsetting. McDavid has done this time and time again in the regular season and especially against the Jets. Now that it's playoffs, he has gone radio silent. I'm not just faulting him because nobody other than Smith has stepped up. But this is what the playoffs are..... this is where hero's are born. You have guys like Helle for Winnipeg and Price for Montreal that are just born playoff contenders and know how to step up their game. Crosby is another for the penguins. Gretzky for the Oilers. McDavid is a very talented player and shows it during regular season, but he needs to show it during the playoffs against the top teams who are plying their top game. Otherwise you and the team are just known as playoff chokers
That was the Colts memo for 7 years. Flashy offensive team but against strong defenses like the Pats in 03 and 04 they got smoked. And then lost again to t he Steelers in 05.

Yes Connor needs to step it up but some of the mythologizing of Crosby is also a little bit over blown.

In their first Cup win, he was shut out in 5/7 Finals games. Needed to be carried to a Finals win by Malkin.

In their second Cup win, he was blanked in the first 3 games of the big Caps series, no problem, Pittsburgh goes up 2-1. He was shut out 3 straight games in Finals against San Jose too. Phil Kessell honestly probably deserved the Conne Smythe.

The 16-17 playoffs are maybe his most consistent but even there he got blanked in 3 games in the Sens series.

Maybe the lesson here is the obvious one -- it takes a team to win. Pittsburgh has won many big playoff rounds where Crosby didn't score a point for 3-5 games in all of their runs.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yes Connor needs to step it up but some of the mythologizing of Crosby is also a little bit over blown.

In their first Cup win, he was shut out in 5/7 Finals games. Needed to be carried to a Finals win by Malkin.

In their second Cup win, he was blanked in the first 3 games of the big Caps series, no problem, Pittsburgh goes up 2-1. He was shut out 3 straight games in Finals against San Jose too. Phil Kessell honestly probably deserved the Conne Smythe.

The 16-17 playoffs are maybe his most consistent but even there he got blanked in 3 games in the Sens series.

Maybe the lesson here is the obvious one -- it takes a team to win. Pittsburgh has won many big playoff rounds where Crosby didn't score a point for 3-5 games in all of their runs.
I dare you to post this in the McDavid/Draisaitl thread on the Playoff board.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean Crosby's stat line in the 2009 Finals they won is particularly egregious

Game 5, 6 and 7 of the SC Finals he had 0 points combined and was a -3.

How they managed to win the Cup is almost remarkable, lol.

Penguins leading scorers in the 2009 Finals:

Malkin - 8 points
Talbot - 6 points
Letang - 4 points
Kennedy - 3 points
Staal - 3 points
Crosby - 3 points (-3 rating)

In their 2nd Cup (2016)

He was tied for 4th in points (4 points in 6 games) but had 0 goals in 6 games.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Oh I completely agree 100 percent.... don’t get me wrong. Nobody else is stepping up on this team , but I wasn’t expecting anyone on our 3 and 4 like to really do much. That’s the unfortunate part of just having a team around two players. If they go cold, you’re basically screwed. What is really ridiculous is that we aren’t asking them to score 3 or 4 or 5. Hell one friggin goal would have won it last night!!!!! ONE!!!!! It’s such a shame that we have Smith having a season for the ages, and we still can’t win. Not one damn player has stepped up yet and I think that is what is the most frustrating thing. Even more so than losing..... it’s how we are losing. Not only are we losing, we are just flat out choking.

Going to a friends tomorrow who doesn’t have cable. Will have to watch the game on my phone. Ugh.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I dare you to post this in the McDavid/Draisaitl thread on the Playoff board.
They’re untouchable in that thread. Can’t do any wrong. I love both of them, but they deserve criticism just like everyone else. Smith even let on a soft goal in overtime. But he busted his ass to make sure we had a chance.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They’re untouchable in that thread. Can’t do any wrong. I love both of them, but they deserve criticism just like everyone else. Smith even let on a soft goal in overtime. But he busted his ass to make sure we had a chance.
The thread on the Playoff main board is a tire fire. It's just a bunch of losers tearing apart Draisaitl and McDavid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The thread on the Playoff main board is a tire fire. It's just a bunch of losers tearing apart Draisaitl and McDavid.

They kinda deserve it though. They do need to be better. That said demanding 2 players ... really 1 player if we're being honest to basically win playoff rounds on his own shoulders was always going to blow up in this team's face.

Until they get serious about building a real forward group here, they can be beat in round 1 of the playoffs any given time. That's just how it is.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They kinda deserve it though. They do need to be better. That said demanding 2 players ... really 1 player if we're being honest to basically win playoff rounds on his own shoulders was always going to blow up in this team's face.

Until they get serious about building a real forward group here, they can be beat in round 1 of the playoffs any given time. That's just how it is.
The Oilers haven't been serious about winning since 2006.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Same as the PGT here then?
Worse. Just stupid stuff, some that's not even true.

They deserve criticism. That main board thread is a joke, though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers haven't been serious about winning since 2006.

I mean yeah sure. Aside from Chia going full moron in summer 2016 and gambling the entire first window of the team fully on Lucic and Adam Larsson, two guys who are nowhere near good enough to carry the mail.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean yeah sure. Aside from Chia going full moron in summer 2016 and gambling the entire first window of the team fully on Lucic and Adam Larsson, two guys who are nowhere near good enough to carry the mail.
It's really sad that we've experienced more playoff success under that idiot than Holland, and against better teams to boot.

But this team seems content to just let 97 and 29 do all the work without surrounding them with a good cast of players. Fully expecting the offseason will be just bringing back the majority of UFAs with some minor tweaks here and there because we were "so successful" during the regular season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's really sad that we've experienced more playoff success under that idiot than Holland, and against better teams to boot.

But this team seems content to just let 97 and 29 do all the work without surrounding them with a good cast of players. Fully expecting the offseason will be just bringing back the majority of UFAs with some minor tweaks here and there because we were "so successful" during the regular season.

Ken Holland: i LiKe OuR DePTh
The depth:

E1sMgp0VoAE4NGO

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I’m at fatherly disappointment after most losses, but like the asshole father, the “ I knew you couldn’t win that game, I’ve given you so much support over the years and this is how you repay my love, you don’t deserve to set foot in this household again” type disappointment.

I used to have it ruin my day but now they need to prove to me that I should care past the 15 mins of disappointment, I don’t expect a lot anymore but the blue runs deep in me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad