OT: How upset do you get after an Oilers loss?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How upset do you get

• Total voters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This team has disappointed for so long I'm becoming apathetic.

They don't inspire any passion or excitement.

I mean they've graduated up from "non playoff dissapointment" to "exciting regular season team for the most part" at least. Which is notable, I'll give them that.

They just are too handcuffed for the time being by Chiarelli's stupidity to win a playoff round as is.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I mean they've graduated up from "non playoff dissapointment" to "exciting regular season team for the most part" at least. Which is notable, I'll give them that.

They just are too handcuffed for the time being by Chiarelli's stupidity to win a playoff round as is.

Never understate how stupid that non call on Kesler opening the goalies pad for the goal against anaheim.

Or that the missed the playoffs last year after finishing 2nd in the division.

Or Jeanette. f*** that guy.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I get the most upset in the offseason because we always bungle it, I know we bungle it, and everyone drinks the Kool-Aid.

It takes the sting off during the season and playoffs.

Even on McDavid's draft day, I was so happy for 30 minutes before we dealt a ton for GRIFFIN REINHART.

Ready for another round this summer!

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Great thread btw!

Sports makes me a different kind of 'pretend' pissed off. Like, I yell at the TV and stuff (like most of you), but I don't take those feelings anywhere afterwards.

I love the Oilers; there is no other sports team (in any sport) that I watch).

However, whether they win or lose or suck doesn't have anything to do with me. They've never paid my bills, or sent me a gift on my birthday. Part of the fun (for me) being a sportsfan is trash talking friends (and in turn being trashed talked to). It's fun, but ultimately it means very little to me.

I wasn't always like that (am about to show my age). In 1991 when the North Stars beat the Oilers I wouldn't come out of my room for a day. More recently, in 2006, I was heavily invested and really believed in the team, so that final game against Carolina was difficult. I believed right up until the end that they would find a way.

I'm also pretty certain I would feel that again if I really believed in the team. At the risk of pissing people off, the truth is, I don't this year.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
My expectation for this team is very low as of right now. also the Oilers have been a loser team my entire life with the exception of 06 run, man that was such an amazing year, I remember how fun school was the next day after a win.

Because of all that and also Tom Brady winning SBLs almost every year has really ease the pain of suffering.

I just want them to win a cup during my lifetime just 1 cup

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Can depend on a lot of factors but for the most part I don't really get that upset.

I dunno man, I'm pretty passionate about the team but there's far more in even my boring ass life worth my rage and ire.

Alik Bordour

Jun 26, 2004
Game 7 of Stanley Cup final'06 killed something inside of me, since then I didn't have the same vibe. It's really helps in everything else though

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I used to care. I'm pretty numb these days....allthough I'm pretty happy when we win
My grandpa was a Red Sox fan. I never knew what they meant. He always told my dad he was numb to them losing..... he died in 2000. Shame he never got to watch the Sox win the World Series

I have seen them win it 4 times in my life. Hopefully I can soon watch the Oilers win the cup.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Probably a part of getting older (mid 30's now) but I don't really care anymore (unless I had a bunch of drinks during the game like last night lol).

I watch less and less sports overall and if the Oilers get eliminated Monday I will forget and move on as soon as the game was over. Life is short and sports are a distraction.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I've never understood getting too upset. I vent on here a bit, but I don't actually get pissy in real life. If I actually thought the team had a snowballs chance in hell of winning, I'd probably get more upset. I'm used to losing as an Oilers fan, and always expect the worst possible outcome, so losses have little real effect on me. Back in 06, when I thought we were better than the Canes, yeah, THAT time I was super mad - like REALLY mad, lol. I'm a Michigan fan, I get upset when we lose to Indiana, I don't sweat losing to Ohio State, because I expect it. With the Oilers I literally expect to lose every single game we play, so really any win is a nice surprise.
How can you not get too upset when you emotionally invest so much in the team? When you have 15000+ posts on a message board you are invested in something.
For me hfoil has been the therapy after losses and in GDT. In my younger days i used to be upset for days. Plenty of fights/arguments with the wife due to them. Its much easier for people who can just yell at the tv or curse away. Not so much for introverts.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm in the 6-9 range when they lose to the Flames. I despise losing to that team. Everyone else...meh, they're not going to go 82-0 so losses are easier to stomach. With this series, they started it against Winnipeg the same as Chicago so I have a pretty good feeling how this series is going to end which has me at about a 2. I also realise they're not cup contenders yet but I'm also of the opinion if the Oilers are going to finish 2nd in the division then embarrass themselves and lose in the first round in 4 or 5 games to a team below them, I'd have rather missed the playoffs.

Baseball...I'm a big Cubs fan and an Orioles fan but do follow the Jays. Losing to the Marlins in '03 was absolutely gut wrenching. Zambrano, Pryor, Wood, Clement...all in their primes on the mound. They had such a great team. 2016 erased some of that but I wanted that 03 team to make it to the WS.

I don't follow NFL much but watch NCAA football as I like the Oregon Ducks and Florida Gators. Its so hard to win a national title with so many great programs and roster turnover every 4 years. If my teams finish in the top 10, I'm happy.

All in all, pro sports are a big part of my life but they aren't my life.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I've lost money of course I'm killing someone. ;)

JK. I don't actively gamble real money and my luck is terrible.

Losing hurts and I never wanna experience that emotion so let's never ever lose again. OK?

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I just put on my The Rodeo Song cassette single and play it a few times after a loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad