How overpaid are Mitch Marner and William Nylander?

How Overpaid is Mitch Marner and William Nylander?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Nylander probably underpaid. Marner probably not really tbh if you base on regular season credentials but uhh in the playoffs lol. Seems silly to have one poll for two players. Wait underpaid isnt even a poll answer? What a totally objective unbiased post this is

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You can win with Marner's contract. You can win with Nylander's contract. You can win with Matthew's contract. You can win with Tavares' contract. It's the fact that 4 player refused to sign under market value around the same time that's the issue.

Competitive team gets players signed for under market rates. Barzal has an 85 pt season, he probably could have held out for 8.5 million. Point could have bet on himself and been a 9 million player. Crosby, Bergeron... List goes on and on of teams that got value for their players.

I don't blame the players, I'd have done the same.

Reactions: gucc

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Marner got $10.9 million as a restricted free agent. A RFA. Meaning he had no leverage. He either signed or held-out. He had no ability to shop himself around and go to the highest bidder the way an unrestricted free agent does.

Combine this with the fact he had never delivered a playoff series win for Toronto and had never won any kind of individual awards.

Dubas got bent over very hard in the Marner negotiations.

How do you allow a player in Marner's situation with Marner's resume to command almost $11 million dollars from you?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nylander is becoming something of a bargain, and Marner will be impossible to trade unless the Leafs eat a sizeable chunk of his contract.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Fair value for market price. Unfortunately for the Leafs, Marner was a controlled RFA asset when he signed that deal.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I wouldn't complain having Nyl at his contract rn. Marner overpaid by a few mill

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Marner is likely overpaid by a million but he has lead the Leafs in scoring for three of the last four years so thats the kind of overpay you can bite the bullet on, as opposed to overpaying somebody when they are in their thirties.

Nylander is right in line with what he should be paid, might have seemed like a slight overpayment at the time but it's certainly looking like a solid deal now.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Nylander is fairly paid. Marner is overpaid by around 1.5 to 2 million based on his contract length. Even if he signed that same AAV for max term it would still be a very rich deal for him

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
They are both overpaid based on their comparables at the time of signing. The AAV's aren't really the biggest problem though, the problem is that they are signed for almost only RFA years, for cap hits that high they should have been signed to max terms. As much as I've railed on the Oilers for inflating RFA salaries at least they got full term on their stars.

Reactions: wintersej

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Marner is overpaid by like 1.5-2 million bucks, Nylander isn't overpaid at all.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Marner is massively overpaid. Getting superstar "Patrick Kane on a UFA" type money while not being that caliber of player.

Nylander a little bit for a RFA, but that one isn't so bad in a vacuum.

Reactions: BlueMed

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
People have been talking about how Toronto Overpaid their Forwards.
Now I know Matthews Deserves what he's being Paid, but are Marner and Nylander that Overpaid?

Let's Discuss.

Matthews doesn't deserve his contract.

11.34 x 5 with a career high of 63 points at time of signing? If auston signed for 8 it would've cost more than mcdavid at 12.5!

Such a terrible contract

Also, marner only got his deal because of matthews. Marner had a 94 point season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad