How many wins for the team this season?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Did it? I mean yeah Ottawa probably Did but they weren't a playoff team anyway.

I don't think Buffalo did, in fact I think they take a step back.

Did Detroit? I don't think so, they literally gave away a top 4 D AND a 2nd for free?

Did Montreal? I'm not sure how?

Did Boston? That's a tough one on defense yes, up front not sure, in net no chance.

Did Tampa? I don't think so they did replace Stamkos but they lost Sergachev.

I'm not sure how you argue Florida is better after losing Montour, OEL and Lomberg.

Ottawa and Toronto got better, the rest? are you sure?

Fair enough but they need to play hockey for 6 months first
Honestly, I am at a point where I will watch the game if there is nothing better to do then plan my schedule around games like a few years back.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They won 46 games last year with goaltending that was complete ass.

Baring massive injury I don't know how they win less than 52, goaltending CAN NOT be worse than last year it's impossible unless you think Stolarz, and/or Woll are going to start throwing games because in order for goaltending to be worse than last year that's what would have to happen

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Honestly, I am at a point where I will watch the game if there is nothing better to do then plan my schedule around games like a few years back.
Unless I have tickets, I can’t say I’ve ever planned my life around regular season games.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The core just take too many games off, those games against bottom feeders like Arizona and Montreal in February tend to kill us and our chances of coming top of the division.

I’d expect anywhere from 45-52 but I don’t know if they eclipse 55 tbh

If I had to pick an exact number…48

That's where I think coaching makes a difference, sure bad games happen over an 82 game season but I don't think Berube is going to allow them to consistently lose to Montreal, Buffalo, Utah, Chicago etc.

With Berube behind the bench they are going to start beating bottom feeders consistently

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe they won’t be so boring to watch this year?

There’s only about 10 home Saturday night games this year

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am thinking they take a step back. No faith in the depth, D, or goaltending. This team is just nothing special at all. 42 wins. I don’t think Berube is a good coach either. This team is a mess. Sorry for being negative but this franchise has a special way to suck all the soul out of you.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Me too. Ottawa likely wont be worse, but with Green will they be any better?

I'm not a big fan of Green ass a coach but I do think they got better this off season with Perron ans Ullmark.

I like Jensen too, but I would not have given up Chychrun for him.

But even with that trade I still they got better overall.

Buffalo, I don't think they did anything good.

They traded a 2nd for a 4th liner, then traded a top prospect for a 3rd line center.

Then bought out Jeff Skinner and either replaced him with Jason Zucker which is worse.

OR replaced Olofsson with Zucker which could be better, but if Zucker is the Olofsson replacement that means Skinner wasn't replaced and that still makes them worse.

Either way Buffalo got worse.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am thinking they take a step back. No faith in the depth, D, or goaltending. This team is just nothing special at all. 42 wins. I don’t think Berube is a good coach either. This team is a mess. Sorry for being negative but this franchise has a special way to suck all the soul out of you.
Wouldnt a step back be missing the playoffs? I don’t know if one those teams below them is ready to overtake the Leafs or TB.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

That's fine if that's what you think, I disagree, I'm not sure how you can be a bad coach and win a Stanley cup that's impossible.

And because I know he's going to get mentioned, Babcock's ability to coach has nothing to do with why he's not coaching

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Green ass a coach but I do think they got better this off season with Perron ans Ullmark.

I like Jensen too, but I would not have given up Chychrun for him.

But even with that trade I still they got better overall.

Buffalo, I don't think they did anything good.

They traded a 2nd for a 4th liner, then traded a top prospect for a 3rd line center.

Then bought out Jeff Skinner and either replaced him with Jason Zucker which is worse.

OR replaced Olofsson with Zucker which could be better, but if Zucker is the Olofsson replacement that means Skinner wasn't replaced and that still makes them worse.

Either way Buffalo got worse.
The East is going to be weak again this year and it doesn’t feel like any of them are close to taking a playoff berth.

I don’t see Florida going to the SCF for a third year in a row, Tampa would be the logical team to win, but they might be done. Boston almost lost to the Leafs, Canes are far too soft and no goaltending, that leaves NYR or maybe NJD, but how can Panarin, Zabinejad or Keefe win the East?

It’s really too bad one of Det, Philly, Sens or Sabres couldn’t step up.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The big 4 in the Atlantic will be the big 4. They all have retooled and will be good. The question is will one of the other Atlantic teams get a wild card spot and have 5 Atlantic and 3 Metro qualifying.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
If anything like the panthers went through with their coaching change in maurice, prob a slow start getting used to the new system with it clicking really well towards the second half, that is if Berube is allowed to really implement his changes.

slight regression in wins from last year but overall a better team

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If things go well, this is the year they win the Division.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
People that say the regular season means nothing are out of touch with reality. You HAVE to have a decent regular season to qualify for the playoffs. It's simple, you have to consistently WIN in the regular season to make the post season.

As we Leaf fans already know, a great regular season doesn't mean shit when it comes to experiencing a great playoffs.

I think our Leafs might have some growing pains this coming season. It will take a few weeks for our Leafs to adjust to our new coaching staff and players. Hopefully, they win more games than they lose to start the season.

Also, unless something happens soon with a Marner trade, this will hang over our Leafs for the entire season. I believe that the tension associated with Marner might permeate across the entire organization, including with his teammates.

I'd like to see a minimum of 50 wins. 55 wins and winning the division would be optimum to me.

The NHL has to scrub this stupid playoff ranking system that sees TOP regular season teams playing each other in the 1st round. This PUNISHES these teams for having great seasons. The conference 1st overall should always play the 8th, the 2nd should play the 7th etc. Please NHL, get rid of the divisional and wild card shit !!!

JMHO.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The East is going to be weak again this year and it doesn’t feel like any of them are close to taking a playoff berth.

I don’t see Florida going to the SCF for a third year in a row, Tampa would be the logical team to win, but they might be done. Boston almost lost to the Leafs, Canes are far too soft and no goaltending, that leaves NYR or maybe NJD, but how can Panarin, Zabinejad or Keefe win the East?

It’s really too bad one of Det, Philly, Sens or Sabres couldn’t step up.

I actually do think Ottawa is fairly close but it's not this year, I think that finish with 86-88 points and they just miss.

With Buffalo, look I usually never the first 2 games are critical because under normal circumstances that's ridiculous.

However in this case I think the first 2 games are critical because not only are they a back to back, but they are in Europe, which means they need to fly over, adjust to European team, play 2 games against a NJ team that looks absolutely loaded, fly back and then readjust to North American time.

I don't think Buffalo can afford a slow start especially when you also consider that NJ aside everybody in the east will have 2 games in hand on Buffalo right away so yeah I think the first 2 games are critical.

With Detroit coming into the off season I had Detroit right on the edge and then they traded a top 4 D and a 2nd round pick for free.

Then they signed Jack Campbell and Cam Talbot and now have 4 goalies for some reason and now Detroit confuses me.

Reactions: Nineteen67

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They're not gonna get as many overtime wins as last year.

And Ottawa probably won't get as many losses. That probably won't be enough for that pathetic excuse of a team to pass the slightly less pathetic Leafs. But it could easily be a ten point difference in the standings between them.

This is the most down I've been on the team in the Matthews era yet.

A new coach whose system the players might not like. Salary cap concerns magnified with so many raises including to Matthews and Nylander. No draft capital to use towards any good deadline rentals who wouldn't be able to fit under the cap anyway.

But the goaltending... my god... the goaltending.

An unproven and injury prone Woll for starter. Along with a thirty year old career backup with a whopping 109 games played. This is the most questionable tandem the Leafs have chosen to start the season with yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only squeak into a playoffs spot with something like 42 wins.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They're not gonna get as many overtime wins as last year.

And Ottawa probably won't get as many losses. That probably won't be enough for that pathetic excuse of a team to pass the slightly less pathetic Leafs. But it could easily be a ten point difference in the standings between them.

This is the most down I've been on the team in the Matthews era yet.

A new coach whose system the players might not like. Salary cap concerns magnified with so many raises including to Matthews and Nylander. No draft capital to use towards any good deadline rentals who wouldn't be able to fit under the cap anyway.

But the goaltending... my god... the goaltending.

An unproven and injury prone Woll for starter. Along with a thirty year old career backup with a whopping 109 games played. This is the most questionable tandem the Leafs have chosen to start the season with yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only squeak into a playoffs spot with something like 42 wins.

You keep saying that the players might not like Brube's system my question to you is who gives a f***?

It doesn't matter what the players like it only matters that they play his system.

And they will, because all he's got to do is show them that championship ring and they will fall in line.

Reactions: ACC1224

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think we can really improve in the consistency of work ethic.
I would not call this group one that consistently shows up and outworks their opponents. They do somethings, other times don't show up for long stretchs but then really show up when things have gone bad with a losing streak or embarressing loss. Too many times it looks like they want to just win games based on our superior talent and not enough willingness to consistently put in the hard yards.

We haven't even won a presidents trophy which takes a ton out of you because you have to consistently show up and match or outwork your opponent to win more games than anyone else in the league.

Hopefully Berube can instill a more consistent, hard working style of culture.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
If they were in a different division I could see a few over 50. Maybe 52, 53. But I think the division will be tough this year than last, so, I'm going someplace in the 45-49 range. Split the difference and make it 47. 105 points.

I am not as negative as you are, but I think I'm closer to you than I am to those saying 52 or more.
The most important guys on this team are right in their prime, so there is no way they are bad (barring MAJOR injuries), but too many holes and too much competition in the division for them to be that good either.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
We need a cultural shift like *tries not to puke* Boston who bring it every single game and manage to go on massive winning streaks. That should be the goal and we should actually care about the presidents trophy this year. It could give us 2 rounds of weaker opponents before they had to eliminate a contender.

BS Regular season doesn't matter. It matters for the playoffs.
You mean like the Habs and Blue Jackets?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00