• 81-90 points

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 91-100 points

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think this year will be another one of those where 98 points may not get you to the dance, I expect some minor growth improvements eventually as the kids get up to speed, if the wings can start hot and maintain some consistency, they will flirt with a spot in April, but unless the team shows up on time for every game and play for the whole game, they are just not quite there yet.
Not sure many teams have gotten 98 points and not made the playoffs. So, if it's " one of those years ", I think Red Wings would actually be making history as the best point total to never make the playoffs.

That'd be so infuriating!!! Especially after getting blocked out the year prior by some bogus rule that doesn't entirely make sense even.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Not sure many teams have gotten 98 points and not made the playoffs. So, if it's " one of those years ", I think Red Wings would actually be making history as the best point total to never make the playoffs.

That'd be so infuriating!!! Especially after getting blocked out the year prior by some bogus rule that doesn't entirely make sense even.
To be fair, I think the last time was 2021/22 that 99 points would not have gotten you to the playoffs in the East, but from memory, there has been a few years where 97/98 point was the cutoff for WC2. (I think from memory the 2018/19? Habs had 96 points and didn't make it, the cutoff was 98)

I think parity will start to show the next few years as even with the cap rising, teams will struggle to keep high quality support players for their cores beyond another two years or so, then the younger teams should in theory take over at the top of the conference for a few years while the others rebuild/retool. A 10 point spread from WC2 to #1 seed is likely not too far away, so injuries will be crucial to any team's success.

So you are correct in saying although no teams to date have had 98 points and not made the playoffs...we are talking the wings...if it is going to happen, we know who will be the first to do it.

To be clear, I think the cutoff for WC2 will be in the 98 or over point range in 2024/25, I picked the wings to finish with 90-100 points, but I figure they will be in the 94-96 point range and the cutoff will be 98. They be flirting with a spot at the end of the season (meaningful games in April) but I am not convinced they are there yet to make into the big show as a start of the season forecast.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think parity will start to show the next few years

Top 10 teams had
- 102 points or more (at season 2023-24)
- 104 points or more (at season 2022-23)
- 107 points or more (at season 2021-22)

Bottom10 teams had
- 81 points or less (at season 2023-24)
- 81 points or less (at season 2022-23)
- 76 points or less (at season 2021-22)

Playoff teams had
- 91 points or more (at season 2023-24)
- 92 points or more (at season 2022-23)
- 97 points or more (at season 2021-22)

Red Wings have had
- 91 points (at season 2023-24)
- 80 points (at season 2022-23)
- 74 points (at season 2021-22)

It seems that League Top and Bottom had a bigger gap at 3 seasons ago. And that has been pushing the point amount to playoff spot down, when there's less easy games against super-weak tankers. Everybody is losing points to bad teams more, thanks to parity.

Also, high-scoring games could be pushing the amount of 3-point games down too. There's less overtimes, when games go 7-4 or 6-3.

Red Wings have to improve with 1-4 points and they will be at the playoffs.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I think this year will be another one of those where 98 points may not get you to the dance, I expect some minor growth improvements eventually as the kids get up to speed, if the wings can start hot and maintain some consistency, they will flirt with a spot in April, but unless the team shows up on time for every game and play for the whole game, they are just not quite there yet.
I choose to believe that one of the things that will improve is leadership. Whatever, whoever, I don't think it will be seen as acceptable to "go dark" for extended periods, for whatever reason, like they have done in years past. If there are such streaks I think they will be shorter - i.e. a week of "WTF is happening" vs. a month.

If I can see it, they can see it. And I think they will do something about it.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Fully expecting a step back this year. Unless Edvinsson has a breakout year and Johansson is the answer as Seider's partner like some have suggested, I truly have a hard time finding confidence with the blue line. Also feels like the team is still treading water with goalies. Offensively, I don't mind the roster too much, especially since I think there's going to be movement in terms of younger players joining it. But the worry is still that something happens to Larkin (again) and everything goes tits up. I wish we had the personnel to protect/insulate him more. As for coaching... I'm not sure? I don't think I've been shown that Lalonde is a needle mover, but I don't think he's actively sinking the team. Always hard here since the roster is somewhat grim.

Am I okay with less points this year? I'd be annoyed for sure, but if it's in the context of acclimating younger players to the league (Mazur, Danielson?, MBN???) then I can cope. I want end-of-year Raymond to continue to show up, I want Ed to show he can be the 2nd pair anchor, and I need Seider to not force me to make excuses for him. The last one is essential. I know he's had absurd deployment stats, lousy partners, whatever. He needs to excel this year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Way too many variables with this roster...we could honestly be anywhere from 80 to 100plus pts..

Does Larkin play 82 games and put up 80pts?
Does Raymond emerge as a legit 80pt star?
Does Edvinsson cement the 2nd pairing and a play like a legit #2 Dman?
Does Kane perform well and hold up over a full season?
Does Seider develop further into a legit Norris threat?
Does Debrincat provide reliable/consistent offence?
Does the Talbot/Lyon combo provide steady/consistent goaltending
Do any of our rookies/prospects out produce expectations?

So many questions marks...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Way too many variables with this roster...we could honestly be anywhere from 80 to 100plus pts..

Does Larkin play 82 games and put up 80pts?
Does Raymond emerge as a legit 80pt star?
Does Edvinsson cement the 2nd pairing and a play like a legit #2 Dman?
Does Kane perform well and hold up over a full season?
Does Seider develop further into a legit Norris threat?
Does Debrincat provide reliable/consistent offence?
Does the Talbot/Lyon combo provide steady/consistent goaltending
Do any of our rookies/prospects out produce expectations?

So many questions marks...
I agree there's a ton of variables, but probably all of those need to be a 'no' for this to be an 80 point team and nearly all a 'yes' to make them a 100 point threat.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
This is a tough one. I feel like we're worse because we lost Walman and Sprong for nothing.

But the guys that will fill those newly available roster spots (on other lines and pairings of course) will be better overall (Edvinsson and Berggren) -- probably immediately better, certainly better long-term. Berggren won't get stuck on the 4th line like Sprong was, but whoever ends up down there will be a little better than Sprong defensively and a little less productive offensively.

And Tarasenko is a small upgrade over Perron.

With Kane playing a full year we might just get 30 goals from 4 guys (Larkin Raymond Kane Debrincat) for the first time in a long time (I think the last time they were Datsyuk Zetterberg Hossa and Franzen.)

So we'll score a lot of goals. And with Kane gliding around for a full season, some rookie defensemen, and two very average goalies, we'll get scored on a lot too.

I think I'm going to go with 90 points -- so I could vote for 90-100 or 81-90. I'll go 90-100. And we miss the playoffs again.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Fully expecting a step back this year. Unless Edvinsson has a breakout year and Johansson is the answer as Seider's partner like some have suggested, I truly have a hard time finding confidence with the blue line. Also feels like the team is still treading water with goalies. Offensively, I don't mind the roster too much, especially since I think there's going to be movement in terms of younger players joining it. But the worry is still that something happens to Larkin (again) and everything goes tits up. I wish we had the personnel to protect/insulate him more. As for coaching... I'm not sure? I don't think I've been shown that Lalonde is a needle mover, but I don't think he's actively sinking the team. Always hard here since the roster is somewhat grim.

Am I okay with less points this year? I'd be annoyed for sure, but if it's in the context of acclimating younger players to the league (Mazur, Danielson?, MBN???) then I can cope. I want end-of-year Raymond to continue to show up, I want Ed to show he can be the 2nd pair anchor, and I need Seider to not force me to make excuses for him. The last one is essential. I know he's had absurd deployment stats, lousy partners, whatever. He needs to excel this year.
To protect Larkin , they need power forward in the first unit, maybe Rasmussen.
Edvinsson going to be our second best defansman next season, still learning play in NHL, big mistake not to bring him earlier.
Our third line should be Berggren Kasper Mazur, they did dominate AHL last season. Probably not going to happen, it's just bad management all over .

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I voted 91-100 points. Gun to my head I say they earn 95-96 this year and probably are the 9th place eastern team. But the year after, I believe they make it in. Believe we finish 8-10 range.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy