Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I guess we'll see but I would be absolutely shocked if those guys aren't both (Holmberg, McMann) on the team opening night.
What’s your opening line up look like?

Knies Matthews Domi
Mcann Tavares Marner
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Dewar Kampf Jancrok
Cowan Reaves

These are not my set lines but just a rough idea with what we got. Reaves is on borrowed time but we have the cap space to carry extra bodies this year.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed: Have to maximize Robertson and keep our powder dry with Cowan...because we can.

Let Cowan take a few scalps in the AHL before coming to the big club.

Really depends on how good Cowan is. If he’s showing a higher trajectory, and can be a Seth Jarvis type young player with an impact I think you have to allow for that and not slow roll.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Who will be Robertsons biggest competition to make the Team out of camp?

Cowan?
Roster-wise, no one because the waiver claim risk with him would be very high. I doubt the team would want to expose him to waivers.

Lineup-wise, probably Grebenkin or maybe Holmberg if Berube plays Domi at 3C instead of on Matthews' wing. Assumption is that Cowan earns a top 9 lineup spot out of camp and will get consistent playing time during his first 9 regular season games before they decide if he stays past that.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson/Grebenkin-Tavares-Marner
Cowan-Holmberg-Nylander
McMann-Kampf-Jarnkrok
(Dewar+Grebenkin/Robertson extra Fs)

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Yeah, this exposes the double standard in the argument. Defensive ability is important, but the people blasting Robertson for his defensive weaknesses (despite his youth and ability to grow in that area) seem to be perfectly fine with the other rookies with similar defensive weaknesses, and all of the veterans we added over the past year that are complete defensive disasters. They'll advocate for Reaves being a flaming garbage pile on ice so that he can pointlessly punch a face every 30 games, but can't fathom the benefits of a team needing secondary scoring keeping one of the best shots and secondary producers on the team.

When people call him things like "little brat", and accuse others of not being Leaf fans because they support keeping a Leaf who makes the Leafs better, it's clear that some are taking it personally, not logically.
Sadly this is the norm here - you know there's people here who purport to be Leafs fans, that want to run a player out of town that has been well over a PPG player for the last 6 years?!?!

Been a + player over the same 6 years, was 1st in points for 3 seasons ('18/19, 20/21, 22/23) 2nd in points for 2 seasons (19/20, 21/22, ) and 3rd in points last year (23/24 playing 13 fewer games).

Yeah - that's actually a thing - and these same people talk with such bravado and detail like they actually know something about building a winner? Wow that actually exists - thanks internet for making me aware of this brilliance.

Leaf hatred runs so deep there is actually numerous trolls here that play the long game, pretend to support the Leafs and then spew the worst POV of what Leaf players are and what management should be doing.

Sign the dotted line Nick - your chance will come soon enough, if not with TML, they will happily send you packing. Play well and you'll have plenty of opportunity elsewhere, we'll gladly take the asset that your trade will bring - or stay and score 25, it's all good

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Solid chance we have an injury on the left wing at any given time throughout the year, so I can easily see one extra left winger making it.

Reactions: Ciao

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Because we continue to play worse players over him... if the coaching staff is smart, he has an opportunity.

I'm not confident based on how much Treliving values face-punching, he also influences the team, but we will see with Berube.

Does not compute? Maybe you just aren't capable of understanding, not sure.

Discussing a prospect and thinking he is better off with the team in hopes that he is played since he is better than some current roster players is not making a fuss.
The only way Robertson will see utilization to your satisfaction is if Knies and McMann get injured.

In the meantime:

"HEY Nick, get to the back of the line. Better yet. Get me my water bottle, and keep the bench warm."

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unless Robertson tanks it to get waived to get moved to the worst team in the league for an easier path to playing time?

Based on last year's standings San Jose?

Yeah, don't see him getting waived.

They can waive a bigger contract that would enable an ELSC to get in based on the cleared cap amount.
I would hope he has more ethics and morals than that, but really would be his easiest way out of town, I;m sure San Jose would be appealing for a California kid.............

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
This is a message board and a lot of people seem to get up in arms over something that doesn’t affect our lives. If you are feeling angry or upset becuase of the leafs then you probably need a break. If you are upset over how others are talking about the leafs probably best to take a break.

Get of the message board if you are getting angry. It’s not good for your mental health if something that doesn’t affect your life is affecting you in that way. The leafs have no baring on how my life goes and shouldn’t be affecting my mood in my everyday life.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
that’s his completion i see for top 6 playing time. Right now i see him on the third line but there is a chance for him on the second.
it's a new season with a new coach, I would hope everybody has a chance of taking a job from anyone........

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That’s fine. But McMann signed a 2 year deal and didn’t raise a fuss about utilization or ask for a trade.
the business side should be kept separate from the hockey side, I'd hate for them to equate that into any player's performance on the ice............

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
the business side should be kept separate from the hockey side, I'd hate for them to equate that into any player's performance on the ice............

There is a lot more in the business side to consider, including on ice and off ice value. Players don't have equal opportunities, and better players can make less just based on status.

On the ice, unless the coach is a twit, he wants to win and will utilize assets he feels are best for that outcome. However, I could see times where sending a message might trump going for the win with your best players. We've seen that where a teams' star player (and perhaps highest paid) takes a seat ...

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Really depends on how good Cowan is. If he’s showing a higher trajectory, and can be a Seth Jarvis type young player with an impact I think you have to allow for that and not slow roll.
I was just corrected by another member who said Cowan can't go to the A this year - I keep forgetting how young Cowan is/was.

I'd be fine with a Seth Jarvis path...Speaking of paths and on a total tangent:

After flipping back and forth comparing Jarvis and Cowan stats, I have to point out that they both bear uncanny appearances that should they ever desire to embark on another journey, they'd be shoe-ins to land Hobbiton roles in any LOTR production.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Isn't it Leafs or Junior for Cowan? I don't think he can go to the Marlies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There is a lot more in the business side to consider, including on ice and off ice value. Players don't have equal opportunities, and better players can make less just based on status.

On the ice, unless the coach is a twit, he wants to win and will utilize assets he feels are best for that outcome. However, I could see times where sending a message might trump going for the win with your best players. We've seen that where a teams' star player (and perhaps highest paid) takes a seat ...
I would hope the coach ice's the best team possible, and the GM deals with the off ice stuff. McMann will come in as twice as expensive as Robertson, but that shouldn't be the coach's concern..........

Reactions: ULF_55

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

They both posted up modest offensive numbers on limited utilization, have an injury history and will be expected to play bottom 6 utility time and hope to take the next step.

One guy signed a quiet, foot soldier kind of contract for 2 seasons and the other requested a trade away. One guy is ready, willing and capable and the other guy is not. On and off ice can’t be separated.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Isn't it Leafs or Junior for Cowan? I don't think he can go to the Marlies.

Well yeah exactly. So if he’s flat out dominant in the preseason you have to at least entertain the possibility that he’s something very special and deserves a spot on the Leafs since this is his D+2 already. Otherwise he goes back, unfortunately.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They both posted up modest offensive numbers on limited utilization, have an injury history and will be expected to play bottom 6 utility time and hope to take the next step.

One guy signed a quiet, foot soldier kind of contract for 2 seasons and the other requested a trade away. One guy is ready, willing and capable and the other guy is not. On and off ice can’t be separated.

One is a great prospect, one is exiting their prime.

That is more important than anything else you mentioned and it is not built on emotion unlike the above.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was just corrected by another member who said Cowan can't go to the A this year - I keep forgetting how young Cowan is/was.

I'd be fine with a Seth Jarvis path...Speaking of paths and on a total tangent:

After flipping back and forth comparing Jarvis and Cowan stats, I have to point out that they both bear uncanny appearances that should they ever desire to embark on another journey, they'd be shoe-ins to land Hobbiton roles in any LOTR production.

Yeah they both look like some of the most promising forwards to come out of The Shire in a long time…

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh and ITM

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That is more important than anything else you mentioned and it is not built on emotion unlike the above.

Bobby McMann hasn’t had a prime and if he becomes a valuable player it will be along the lines of a late blooming Mason Marchment or a Carter Verhaeghe or something along those lines…

And if we ever made it a McMann vs Robertson, which nobody is other than maybe yourself, it would actually benefit the Leafs more to have a swift skating 6’2” scoring 20 goals a year than the 5’9” guy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

They don't win with potential though.

I'm all for investing for the future, so playing Robertson, or Grebenkin, or Minten, or ... over a veteran like Kampf/Jarnkrok/Dewar knowing they are inferior(note 1) today, but a bigger part of the future is okay, within reason. A good team can get away with that.

Note 1: If they need someone to PK, you don't put Robertson in for Dewar.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What’s your opening line up look like?

Knies Matthews Domi
Mcann Tavares Marner
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Dewar Kampf Jancrok
Cowan Reaves

These are not my set lines but just a rough idea with what we got. Reaves is on borrowed time but we have the cap space to carry extra bodies this year.

There is no short they are going to play an 11 million dollar player on the 3rd line

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Bobby McMann hasn’t had a prime and if he becomes a valuable player it will be along the lines of a late blooming Mason Marchment or a Carter Verhaeghe or something along those lines…

And if we ever made it a McMann vs Robertson, which nobody is other than maybe yourself, it would actually benefit the Leafs more to have a swift skating 6’2” scoring 20 goals a year than the 5’9” guy.

You do realize that humans have physical primes, right? As do NHL players.

I think anyone who can use some logic would say the 22 year old who outproduced the 27 year old likely has a better shot of improving and becoming a better NHLer.

Both the players you listed are a year older than McMann... I like McMann, but he is approaching 30.

Also, Mason Marchment is the most overrated player on these boards, he is not that good.

They don't win with potential though.

I'm all for investing for the future, so playing Robertson, or Grebenkin, or Minten, or ... over a veteran like Kampf/Jarnkrok/Dewar knowing they are inferior(note 1) today, but a bigger part of the future is okay, within reason. A good team can get away with that.

I think McMann is better (even if it isn't by a lot) and he is much better in the role he plays, so I wouldn't advocate for Robertson over him.

The players also need time to develop in the NHL, if they aren't your best option come playoff time, fine, but how will you know unless they get playing time?

Robertson outplayed players on the roster last year and still sat.

Note 1: If they need someone to PK, you don't put Robertson in for Dewar.

No, you put Robertson in for Reaves, it is simple.

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is no short they are going to play an 11 million dollar player on the 3rd line
There is some logic in having each of the top guys drive their own lines though. The key is, rolling those three lines pretty evenly 5v5. Instead of thinking of them as line 1 gets the most time... well, they all get played equally. If it works, it's a pretty hard matchup, to shut down three offensively strong lines, that can all hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad